Rajkummar Rao is an Indian actor. He has established a career in Hindi cinema and is the recipient of several awards, including a National Film Award, three Filmfare Awards and an Asia Pacific Screen Award. His film debut with the experimental anthology film Love Sex Aur Dhokha. He rose to prominence with his portrayal of Shahid Azmi in the critically acclaimed biographical drama Shahid, for which he was awarded the National Film Award for Best Actor and the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actor. Rao went on to feature in the successful romantic comedy Queen and starred in the acclaimed dramas CityLights, Aligarh, Trapped and the romantic comedy Bareilly Ki Barfi and the black comedy Newton were both commercial successes and won him several accolades including the Filmfare Award for Best Supporting Actor for the former and the Asia Pacific Screen Award for Best Actor.
Colgate, Rao, Raj, Raju
Birthday / Date of Birth
Rajkummar Rao was born on the 31st of August 1984, in Gurgaon, Haryana, India.
He is currently 35 years old.
Rajkummar enrolled in Siddheshwar Mandir School and later completed his education from Blue Bells Model School, Gurgaon. As a kid, he got training in martial arts. He graduated in Arts from Atma Ram Sanatan Dharma College, Delhi University, New Delhi. When he was in college, he actively participated in stage shows and also did theatre at Shri Ram Centre for Performing Arts and Kshitij Repertory in Delhi. In 2008, he completed his acting course from Film and Television Institute of India, Pune.
- Father – Satyapal Yadav (Worked as a Patwari, Died in 2019)
- Mother – Kamlesh Yadav (a Homemaker, Died in 2016)
- Siblings – Monika (Sister), Amit (Brother)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Rajkummar Rao has dated –
- Patralekha Mishra Paul (2013-Present) – Actress Patralekha was also Rao’s co-star in the film Citylights whom he met when the two were studying at the Film and Television Institute of India. They began dating in 2013. The two are very much in love and are regularly seen together at events and social gatherings. Rajkummar went on to clarify that the two are very happy currently and are in no hurry to settle down and tie the knot. The two were even spotted vacationing in Thailand in December 2017 and Rajkummar even posted pictures of it on his Instagram.
- In feet – 5 feet 7 inches
- In centimeters – 170 cm
- In meters – 1.70 m
- In Kilograms – 70 kg
- In Pounds – 154 lbs
- Measurements – 40–14–32
- Chest – 40 in or 102 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 14 in or 35.5 cm
- Waist – 32 in or 81 cm
His shoe size is 8.5 (US).
In 2012, Rajkummar got his big break with Hansal Mehta’s movie Shahid. He appeared in a brief role as Govind Patel in the Abhishek Kapoor’s movie Kai Po Che (2013), which also starred Sushant Singh Rajput and Amit Sadh. The movie was a commercial success and Rajkummar’s performance was greatly acclaimed. In 2014, Rajkummar starred in the successful drama movies, Queen, starring Kangana Ranaut and Citylights, starring Patralekha. He portrayed as a journalist in the critically acclaimed biographical drama Aligarh, starring Manoj Bajpai. His role as Newton Kumar in the 2017 movie Newton won him many accolades and was strongly praised. He also appeared in movies like Trapped (2016), Bareilly Ki Barfi (2017) and Stree (2018).
In 2010, Rajkummar made his first Bollywood appearance as a News Reader in the film Rann, starring Amitabh Bachchan and Paresh Rawal. For this role, he was paid around Rs. 3000.
Web Series Debut
In 2017, Rajkummar played the role of Subhas Chandra Bose in the Ekta Kapoor’s web series Bose: Dead/Alive. The same year, he appeared in a biographical crime movie Omerta, playing the role of Omar Saeed.
In 2014, Rajkummar made his television show debut on the comedy series Comedy Nights with Kapil as himself.
Rajkummar has done endorsement work for the following brands: Britannia, Titan Celestial Time & Cadbury Glow.
Rajkummar Rao Favorites
- Favorite Actors – Amitabh Bachchan, Shah Rukh Khan, Ranbir Kapoor, Robert De Niro, Daniel Day-Lewis, Marlon Brando
- Favorite Actress – Madhubala, Konkona Sen Sharma
- Favorite Destination – Goa, Amsterdam, Budapest
- Favorite Colors – White, Black
- Favorite Authors – Saadat Hasan Manto, Ayn Rand, Walter Isaacson
- Favorite Movie – The Godfather, Mohabbatein, Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge
- Favorite Books – The Bhagavad Gita, The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand, The Godfather by Mario Puzo, My Autography by Charlie Chaplin, Wild Seed by Octavia Butler, You Can Win by Shiv Khera
- Favorite Band – Coldplay
- Favorite Cuisine – Italian, Indian
- Favorite Romantic Film – Blue Valentine, The Notebook, Dil Se
Rajkummar Rao Net worth
Rajkummar Rao has an estimated net worth of $8 million dollars as of 2019. He is a bike lover so in October 2019, he bought a Harley Davidson Fat Bob and owns a Audi Q7 car.
Social Media Portfolio
- Facebook – Rajkummar Rao
- Instagram – rajkummar_rao
- Twitter – Rajkummar Rao
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rajkummar Rao
- He was born as Raj Kumar Yadav, but on the suggestion of her mother, based upon numerology, he changed it to Rajkummar Rao.
- His mother added the extra m to his name since she believed in numerology.
- When he was in 5th standard, he did training in martial arts and was a national level gold medalist in Taekwondo.
- When he was a child, every time he watched a movie, he would mimic the lead character of the movie.
- Rao saw Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge for the first time when he was 11 year old. He used to imagine himself as Raj Malhotra, which was the name of Shah Rukh Khan’s character in the movie. He would even ask his friends to call him Raj, and said- What is this Rajkumar? Call me Raj!
- He was fond of music since his childhood and wanted to make a career in it. Moreover, when he was 16 years old, he auditioned for a dance reality show in Mumbai.
- He is an avid dog lover.
- He earned his debut role in Ekta Kapoor‘s Love Sex Aur Dhokha (2010). He got just Rs. 16,000 remunerations for his first film Love Sex Aur Dhokha.
- He is an ardent devotee of Lord Ganesha.
- In 2018, Rao featured alongside Shraddha Kapoor in the horror-comedy film Stree. The film grossed over ₹180 crore (US$25 million) against a budget of ₹23–24 crore and emerged as a commercial success, becoming Rao’s highest-grossing film.
- In 2019, he played the lead in Shelly Chopra’s movie Ek Ladki Ko Dekha Toh Aisa Laga, also starring Anil Kapoor, Sonam Kapoor and Juhi Chawla.