Sonam Kapoor also known by her married name Sonam Kapoor Ahuja is an Indian actress who appears in Bollywood films. Kapoor is one of the highest paid actresses in the industry and is the recipient of several awards, including a Filmfare and a National Film Award. She also starred in the biographical thriller Neerja and the female buddy film Veere Di Wedding both of which rank among the highest-grossing Hindi films featuring a female protagonist. For portraying the titular role in the former, she received the National Film Award- Special Mention and Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actress.
Sonam Anil Kapoor
Birthday / Date of Birth
Sonam Kapoor was born on June 9, 1985 in Chembur, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
She is currently 34 years old.
She was enrolled at Arya Vidya Mandir school. She then attended United World College of South East Asia in Singapore where she studied Theatre and Arts. Sonam obtained a degree in Economics and Political Science from University of Mumbai through distance program. She also attended the University of East London and graduated with a degree in Economics.
- Father – Anil Kapoor (Actor, Producer)
- Mother – Sunita Kapoor (Former Model, Fashion Designer)
- Siblings – Rhea Kapoor (Younger Sister) (Producer), Harshvardhan Kapoor (Younger Brother) (Producer)
- Others – Sanjay Kapoor (Uncle) (Actor), Surinder Kapoor (Paternal Grandfather) (Film Producer), Nirmal Kapoor (Paternal Grandmother), Ranveer Singh (Maternal Second Cousin) (Actor), Boney Kapoor (Uncle) (Film Producer), Sridevi (Aunt; Died in 2018) (Actress), Mona Shourie (Aunt) (Film Producer), Reena Marwah (Aunt), Janhvi Kapoor (Paternal Cousin) (Actress), Khushi Kapoor (Paternal Cousin) (Actress), Arjun Kapoor (Paternal Cousin) (Actor), Anshula Kapoor (Paternal Cousin), Mohit Marwah (Paternal Cousin) (Actor)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sonam Kapoor has dated –
- Ranbir Kapoor – Actor Ranbir Kapoor was reported to be dating with Sonam during the filming of both Sonam and Ranbir’s debut film in 2007. But, they both denied this fact.
- Punit Malhotra – Later in 2010, she was seen dating with I Hate Luv Storys director Punit Malhotra. They again denied this fact but were continued to be seen.
- Anand Ahuja (2018-Present) – Sonam started dating the entrepreneur, Anand Ahuja long time back. They kept their dating affair a secret. It became a public knowledge when the duo announced about their marriage plans in early 2018. Anand is the owner of clothing brand Bhane.com and co-founder of VegNonVeg.com, which is India’s multi-brand sneaker store. He also looks after his family business, Shahi Exports which had an annual turnover of $450 million as reported in 2018. The duo got married in May 2018 in a private ceremony in Mumbai..
- In feet – 5 feet 9.5 inches
- In centimeters – 177 cm
- In meters – 1.77 m
- In Kilograms – 57 kg
- In Pounds – 126 lbs
- Measurements – 35-25-34
- Bust – 35 inches
- Waist – 25 inches
- Hip – 34 inches
- Bra Size – 32C
She wears a shoe size 9 (US).
Her dress size is 4 (US).
Acting in movies like Delhi-6, Saawariya and I Hate Luv Storys.
Sonam Kapoor made her onscreen debut with the 2007 Hindi film Saawariya for which he received a Filmfare Award nomination for best female debut. She had her first commercial success with the 2010 Hindi film I Hate Luv Storys.
She has featured on Koffee With Karan with actress Deepika Padukone.
L’Oreal cosmetics, Colgate, Electrolux, Lux, Mont Blanc, Oppo Mobile, Salvatore Ferragamo S.p.A. and Signature.
- She is the great supporter of LGBT rights in India.
- Brand ambassador for the Elle Breast Cancer Campaign.
- Next Generation: Asia Class by The Hollywood Reporter in 2009 (First Indian actres to appear on the list).
- 100 most influential women on Twitter by The Huffington Post in 2015.
- Bollywood’s Best Dressed Actresses by Rediff.com in 2012 and 2013.
- Most Desirable Woman by Times of Indian in 2010, 2011 and 2012.
- World’s Sexiest Asian Women by UK magazine Eastern Eye from 2011 to 2014.
- Celebrity 100 List by Forbes Indian in 2012 and 2013
- Woman of the Year by the men’s magazine GQ India in 2013
- Indian ambassador for international cosmetics manufacturer L’Oréal.
Awards & Nominations
|Saawariya||Filmfare Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Most Promising Newcomer||Nominated|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Female Debut||Nominated|
|Stardust Awards||Superstar of Tomorrow – Female||Won|
|2010||Delhi-6||Asian Film Awards||Best Newcomer||Nominated|
|Best Actress (Popular Choice)||Nominated|
|Stardust Awards||Superstar of Tomorrow – Female||Nominated|
|2011||I Hate Luv Storys||Stardust Awards||Best Actress in a Comedy or Romance||Nominated|
|Thank You||Stardust Awards||Best Actress in a Comedy or Romance||Nominated|
|None||Zee Cine Awards||International Icon – Female||Nominated|
|2014||Raanjhanaa||BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor in a Social/Drama Film – Female||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Best Actress (Popular Choice)||Nominated|
|Filmfare Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|2015||Khoobsurat||Stardust Awards||Best Actress in a Comedy or Romance||Won|
|BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor in a Comedy Film – Female||Nominated|
|Best Actress (Popular Choice)||Nominated|
|Filmfare Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|2015||Prem Ratan Dhan Payo||BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor in a Drama Role – Female||Nominated|
|BIG Star Entertainment Awards||Most Entertaining Actor in a Romantic Role – Female||Won|
|2016||Dolly Ki Doli||Filmfare Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Screen Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|2016||Neerja||Indian Film Festival of Melbourne||Best Actress||Won|
|Asiavision Awards||Icon of the Year||Won|
|Star Screen Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Stardust Awards||Editor’s Choice Best Actress of the Year||Won|
|Viewer’s Choice Best Actress of the Year||Nominated|
|2017||Filmfare Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Best Actress (Critics)||Won|
|Lokmat Maharashtra Awards||Best Actress||Won|
|Zee Cine Awards||Best Actress (Critics)||Nominated|
|National Film Awards||Special Mention||Won|
|International Indian Film Academy Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|2018||Pad Man||DadaSaheb Phalke Film Foundation Awards||Best Actress in a Leading Role||Won|
|2018||Lux Golden Rose Awards||Charismatic Beauty Of The Year Award||Nominated|
|2018||Veere Di Wedding||Confident Beauty of the Year||Won|
Sonam Kapoor Favorites
- Favorite Actor – Anil Kapoor, Akshay Kumar, Shah Rukh Khan, Leonardo DiCaprio, Ryan Gosling, Johnny Depp
- Favorite Actress – Waheeda Rehman, Meena Kumari, Priyanka Chopra, Rani Mukerji, Madhuri Dixit, Monica Belluci, Monore Audery
- Favorite Songs – Jab Koi Baat Bigad Jaye, Raat Kali Ek Khwab Mein Aaye
- Favorite Band – Red Hot Chilli Peppers
- Favorite Brands – Chanel, Jean Paul Gaultier and Dior
- Favorite Holiday Destination – Rome, New York, Paris, London
- Favorite Director – Sanjay Leela Bhansali, Imtiaz Ali, Satyajit Ray, Raj Kapoor, Steven Spielberg
- Favorite Musician – A. R. Rahman
- Favorite Author – Jane Austen, Enid Blyton, Nancy Drew
- Favorite Books – Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen, Emma by Jane Austen, Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
- Favorite Chef –Anthony Bourdain
- Favorite Sport – Basketball, Squash
- Favorite Color – White
- Favorite Perfume – Michael by Michael Kors, Jean Paul Gaultier Classique
- Favorite Designer – Anamika Khanna
- Favorite Restaurant – Gajalee, Radio Club, The Pantry, Arya Bhavan, The Table, Hakkasan in Mumbai Bengal Sweet House, Parathewaali Galli (an Area) in Delhi
Angelina in Paris
- Favorite Cricketer – Sachin Tendulkar
- Favorite Food – Pav Bhaji, Tandoor Crab, Chicken with Ginger and Potatoes, Mustard Fish, Cholar Dal, Pork Belly Bun, Dahi Batata Puri, Chocolates
- Favorite Movies – Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995), Virasat (1997), Lamhe (1991), Pukar (2000), Devdas (2002), Titanic (1997)
Sonam Kapoor Net worth
Sonam Kapoor has a estimated net worth of $12 million dollars as of 2019. She takes Rs 2 to 3 crore per film. She is one of the highest paid actresses in Bollywood and is listed in the high-profile A list actresses. Kapoor owns a BMW 7 Series Luxury Saloon and a Audi Q7. Sonam lives in a luxury house along with her parents at 7th Road of the Ville Parle Scheme, in Juhu, Mumbai which is estimated to be worth Rs 25 crore.
Social Media Portfolio
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sonam Kapoor
- Sonam is a well trained classical dancer.
- She worked as a waitress in a Mexican Restaurant while she pursued theatre and arts in Singapore. But, she was fired after 4 days.
- Sonam Kapoor worked as assistant director for movie Black (2005) directed by Sanjay Leela Bhansali before becoming a popular actress.
- She used to be stout and weighed around 90 kgs and had to shed down 35 kg for her debut film.
- Sonam wanted to become a director and writer, but Bhansali convinced her to do films and launched her in his first film, Saawariya. In fact, he waited around 1.5 years to cast her in films.
- She can speak fluently in five languages – Hindi, English, Punjabi, Urdu, Sindhi and Marathi.
- She has been described by the media as a style icon for having great sense of styling cues.
- Sonam Kapoor suffered acrophobia while she was a teen, she got over it by going skydiving in New Zealand.
- Sonam is the brand ambassador of Elle Breast Cancer Campaign.
- She once had tongue piercing but had to remove it for her debut film. Apart from that, she had two tattoos.
- In 2012, she won Cosmopolitan Award for fun fearless female best dressed.
- In 2016, she was highly appreciated for her phenomenal performance in the movie Neerja, a biopic on a flight attendant named Neerja Bhanot.
- Sonam is considered as the Fashionista or style-icon of Bollywood due to her updated sense of styling.
- In 2018, she was starred in Sanjay Dutt‘s biopic- Sanju alongside Ranbir Kapoor after a decade.