Karan Johar is an Indian film director, producer, screenwriter, costume designer, actor and television personality who works in Hindi films. He is considered one of the most successful filmmakers in India. In 1989, Karan started his career as an actor with the Doordarshan serial Indradhanush. Johar made his directorial debut with the widely seen romance Kuch Kuch Hota Hai which earned him the Filmfare Awards for Best Director and Best Screenplay. His next two films were the ensemble dramas Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham and Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna, which were both very successful in the overseas market. His social drama My Name Is Khan earned him his second Filmfare Award for Best Director.
Rahul Kumar Johar
Director, Producer, Actor, Costume Designer, Screenwriter, Television Host
Birthday / Date of Birth
Karan Johar was born on the 25th of May 1972, in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
He’s currently 47 years old.
Karan did his schooling from Greenlawns High School, Mumbai. Later he attended H.R. College of Commerce & Economics, Mumbai and graduated with an M. A. in French.
- Father – Yash Johar (Producer) (Passed away from cancer in 2004)
- Mother – Hiroo Johar (née Chopra)
- Siblings – None
- Relatives – Yash Chopra (Maternal Uncle) (Director, Producer), Pamela Chopra (Maternal Aunt) (Wife of Yash Chopra) (Producer, Playback Singer), Aditya Chopra (Maternal Cousin Brother) (Son of Yash Chopra) (Director, Producer, Writer), Uday Chopra (Maternal Cousin Brother) (Son of Yash Chopra) (Actor, Producer), Rani Mukerji (Sister-in-Law) (Wife of Aditya Chopra) (Actress), B. R. Chopra (Maternal Uncle) (Director, Producer), Ravi Chopra (Cousin Brother) (Son of B. R. Chopra) (Director) (Died in 2014), Kapil Chopra (Nephew) (Son of Ravi Chopra), Abhay Chopra (Nephew) (Son of Ravi Chopra), Dharam Raj Chopra (Maternal Uncle) (Cinematographer), Raj Chopra (Maternal U)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Karan Johar has dated –
- Vandana Melwani (2011) – Karan was speculated to get married to his US-based family friend Vandana Melwani in 2011. According to reports, the alliance was blessed by his mother Hiroo Johar. But, Karan refuted the claims stating that he preferred staying single all his life.
- In February 2017, Karan introduced his twin kids, Yash and Roohi, to the media. The kids were born in a Mumbai hospital from surrogacy.
- Manish Malhotra (2018) – Designer Manish Malhotra and Karan have been friends for more than 20 years and are often seen partying together. Their friendship came under fire in May 2018 when Manish wished his close friend on his birthday. Rumor mills immediately went into overdrive stating them as a romantic couple. However, the designer asserted that they were more like brothers.
- Prabal Gurung (2019) – The rumors of American fashion designer Prabal Gurung dating Karan began in May 2019 when the former wished him on his birthday on Instagram. However, Gurung quickly clarified that their love wasn’t romantic and that Karan is his dearest friend, mentor and big brother.
- In feet – 5 feet 8 inches
- In centimeters – 175 cm
- In meters – 1.75 m
- In Kilograms – 74 kg
- In Pounds – 163 lbs
- Measurements – 40-12-34
- Chest – 40 in or 102 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 12 in or 30.5 cm
- Waist – 34 in or 86.5 cm
His shoe size is 11.5 (US).
His directing and producing blockbuster films like Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Dostana, Raazi, Kal Ho Naa Ho, Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani, Kapoor & Sons, Ae Dil Hai Mushkil etc. In 2000, Karan gained National Film Awards for Best Popular Film Providing Wholesome Entertainment for the movie Kuch Kuch Hota Hai.
In 1995, Karan made his film debut as Rocky, a friend of the protagonist Raj (played by Shah Rukh Khan) in Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge.
In 1989, Karan made his television show debut on DD National’s sci-fi fantasy series Indradhanush as Srikant.
Karan has done endorsement work for the following brands, Nescafé Gold, Johnnie Walker, Timond Watches (2007), Falguni Shane Peacock, Gucci, Palm Angels, Dolce & Gabbana & Balenciaga.
Karan Johar Favorites
- Favorite Actor – Shah Rukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan, Rishi Kapoor
- Favorite Actress – Meryl Streep, Kajol, Rani Mukerji, Sridevi
- Favorite Song – Lag Jaa Gale by Lata Mangeshkar (From the 1964 film Woh Kaun Thi?)
- Favorite Film That He Has Directed – Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (2006)
- Favorite Movies – Kabhie Kabhie (1976), Kaagaz Ke Phool (1959), Masoom (1983), Lamhe (1991), Hum Aapke Hain Koun (1994), Awaara (1951), Sholay (1975), Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India (2001), Satya (1998), Lage Raho Munna Bhai (2006), Chak de! India (2007), Roman Holiday (1953), Titanic (1997)
- Favorite Author – Ayn Rand, Enid Blyton
- Favorite Fictional Hero – Howard Roark from the 1943 novel The Fountainhead
- Favorite Couple Of Indian Cinema – Rishi Kapoor and Neetu Kapoor
- Favorite City – New York, London
- Favorite Wine – Saint Émilion
- Favorite Champagne – Dom Perignon (Pink)
- Favorite Television Show – The Golden Girls
- Favorite Fragrance – Creed
- Favorite Evening Wear – Velvet Blazer
- Favorite Shoemaker – Christian Louboutin
- Favorite Cafe – Starbucks
- Favorite Restaurant – La Petite Maison in London
Karan Johar Net worth
Karan Johar has an estimated net worth of $170 million dollars as of 2020.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Karan Johar
- The first film that Karan ever saw was Roman Holiday in a theater at the age of 6.
- His father Yash Johar had plans of launching him as an actor in one of his films.
- He has received a Filmfare Award for Best Director twice for Kuch Kuch Hota Hai and My Name Is Khan.
- The screenplay of Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna is included in the library of Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences.
- One of his biggest ambitions is to win an Academy Award in his lifetime. He has also perfected his acceptance speech which would say, This is for you, India.
- Karan is godfather to two of Shah Rukh Khan’s kids – Aryan Khan and Suhana Khan.
- In 2004, he got the central idea for his film Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna after watching the movie Before Sunset during a trip to London.
- In September 2006, he was one of the jury members at the Miss World competition held in Poland.
- In 2012, Karan and former Prime Minister Manmohan Singh were the only two Indians invited to the opening ceremony of the London Olympics.
- In December 2014, Karan launched his jewelry line KJo for Gehna in collaboration with Gehna Jewellers. The jewelry collection includes lapel pins, cuffs and palm bracelets, among other things.
- In 2016, Karan had launched a new vertical Dharma 2.0, under his home banner Dharma Productions. The new venture is set to focus exclusively on creating ad films.
- In 2017, Karan attended the World Economic Forum as a cultural leader.
- In 2017, actress Kangana Ranaut appeared on his talk show Koffee with Karan and called him out for being a flagbearer of nepotism in the film industry.
- In November 2018, Karan launched his digital content company Dharmatic Entertainment.