Kajol is an Indian film actress, who predominantly works in Hindi cinema. She is the recipient of numerous accolades, including six Filmfare Awards and alongside her aunt Nutan, she holds the record for most Best Actress wins at the ceremony with five. In 2011, the Government of India awarded her with the Padma Shri, the fourth highest civilian honor of the country. After making her acting debut in the 1992 romance Bekhudi, Kajol had her first commercial success with the 1993 thriller Baazigar.
Birthday / Date of Birth
Kajol was born on 5th of August 1974, in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.
She’s currently 45 year sold.
Kajol has Bengali Brahmin ancestry on her father’s side and Marathi Chandraseniya Kayastha Prabhu (CKP) ancestry on her mother’s side.
Kajol studied at the St Joseph Convent boarding school in Panchgani, Maharashtra. Apart from her studies, she participated in extra-curricular activities, such as dancing. It was in school that she began to form an active interest in reading fiction, as it helped her through the bad moments in her life. At the age of sixteen, she began work on Rahul Rawail’s film Bekhudi, which according to her was a big dose of luck. She initially intended to return to school after shooting for the film during her summer vacations. However, she eventually dropped out of school to pursue a full-time career in film.
- Father – Shomu Mukherjee (Filmmaker)
- Mother – Tanuja Samarth (Actress)
- Siblings – Tanishaa Mukherjee (Younger Sister)
- Relatives – Rani Mukerji (Cousin Sister) (Actress), Sharbani Mukherjee (Cousin Sister) (Actress), Mohnish Behl (Cousin Brother) (Actor), Ram Mukherjee (Paternal Uncle) (Film Director), Joy Mukherjee (Paternal Uncle) (Actor), Deb Mukherjee (Paternal Uncle) (Actor), Sunita Gowarikar (Cousin Sister) (Producer), Ayaan Mukherjee (Cousin Brother) (Director), Samrat Mukherjee (Cousin Brother), Subbir Mukherjee (Paternal Uncle) (Producer), Shurjee Mukherjee (Paternal Uncle), Shyam Mukherjee (Paternal Uncle) (Editor), Rono Mukherjee (Paternal Uncle) (Director), Nutan (Maternal Aunt) (Actress)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Kajol has dated –
- Ajay Devgn (1994-Present) – Kajol began dating actor Ajay in 1994 while filming for the movie Gundaraj. After a 5 year courtship, the couple decided to tie the knot in 1999 in a private and intimate wedding ceremony with only friends and family. The couple got married in a traditional Maharashtrian wedding ceremony. In 2001, Kajol was pregnant with her first child. However, due to an ectopic pregnancy, she suffered from a miscarriage. On 20 April 2003, Kajol gave birth to a daughter, Nysa. Seven years later, on 13 September 2010, she gave birth to a son, Yug.
- In feet – 5 feet 3 inches
- In centimeters – 160 cm
- In meters – 1.6 m
- In Kilograms – 55 kg
- In Pounds – 121 lbs
- Measurements – 34-26-35
- Bust – 34 inches
- Waist – 26 inches
- Hip – 35 inches
- Bra Size – 32D
She wears a size 6 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 5 (US).
Winning 6 Best Actress awards at the Filmfare Awards, making her and her maternal aunt Nutan, the only female actresses in Bollywood to achieve this success.
In 1983, Kajol made her film debut as a child artist in the drama musical, Karate. However, her role in the movie wasn’t credited. In 1992, she made her credited theatrical film debut in Bekhudi.
In 2004, Kajol made her television show debut in the musical reality show Indian Idol as herself.
Kajol has done endorsement work for the following brands: Lifebuoy, Alpenliebe, Pepsi, Joyalukkas, Huggies, Yakult, Whirlpool, RIN Detergent, Mango Fillz, Fortune Basmati Rice, Olay, Knorr Soup, Vasmol, Mcvities Wholewheat Marie, Bournvita little champs, Gold Winner, Pratham, Shiksha The Loomba Trust & others.
Awards & Nominations
Kajol has received six Filmfare Awards, including five Best Actress awards for Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge (1995), Kuch Kuch Hota Hai (1998), Kabhi Khushi Kabhie Gham… (2001), Fanaa (2006) and My Name Is Khan (2010) and a Best Villain award (also known as Filmfare Award for Best Performance In a Negative Role) for Gupt: The Hidden Truth (1997). In 2011, she was awarded Padma Shri, the fourth-highest Indian civilian award, by the Government of India for her contributions to the arts.
- Favorite Actor – Ajay Devgn, Shah Rukh Khan
- Favorite Actress – Sridevi
- Favorite Movie – Sholay, Chaalbaaz
- Favorite Musician – A. R. Rahman
- Favorite Director – Aditya Chopra
- Favorite Book – My Struggle to Become a Person by Hugh Prather
- Favorite Destination – Europe
- Pampering Session – Deep Tissue Massage
- Beauty Product – Olay Total Effects Lightweight Moisturizer
- Favorite Color – White
- Favorite Food – Pizza, Spaghetti Salad with Olives and French Fries
Kajol Net worth
Kajol has an estimated net worth of $16 million dollars as of 2019. She charges Rs 9 to 12 crore per film as salary. Kajol owns expensive cars of manufactures like BMW & Mercedes Benz SUV.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Kajol
- Her parents separated when Kajol was young. Her father passed away due to a cardiac arrest in 2008.
- She can speak Marathi, but she struggles in speaking Bengali.
- She was primarily raised by her maternal grandmother since her mother was working.
- She started acting at an early age of 16, while she was doing her schooling.
- Kajol is a philanthropist and is noted for her charity work with women and children.
- She considers a mongrel to be her spirit animal.
- She likes reading fiction and it was in school that she began to form an active interest in reading which helped her surpass difficult times.
- In 1998, Kajol participated in a concert tour entitled Awesome Foursome alongside Shahrukh Khan, Juhi Chawla and Akshay Kumar.
- In 1999, following the launch of Ajay Devgn’s production company, Devgan Films (renamed as Devgn Entertainment and Software Ltd.) Kajol worked towards building a website for the company.
- In 2000, she launched an online portal, Cineexplore for the production company.
- In 2006, Kajol was one of the four Bollywood actors, alongside Priyanka Chopra, Hrithik Roshan and Shahrukh Khan, whose miniature dolls were launched in the United Kingdom, under the name of Bollywood Legends.
- In 2007, Kajol occupied the ninth spot in Rediff’s listing of the Best Bollywood Actresses. Ever.
- In 2008, Kajol featured as a talent judge, alongside her husband, Ajay Devgn and mother, Tanuja in Zee TV’s family reality show, Rock-N-Roll Family.
- In 2010, Kajol and her My Name is Khan co-star, Shahrukh Khan, became the first Indian actors to be invited by NASDAQ to open the American stock exchange.
- In 2011, the Government of India honoured her with the Padma Shri for her contribution to Indian Cinema.
- In 2011, Kajol participated in a fashion show organised by the Cancer Patients Aid Association, to generate funds for the organisation.
- In 2012, Kajol was placed at the fourth position by NDTV in the listing of The most popular actresses of all time, behind actresses Madhuri Dixit, Sridevi and Meena Kumari.
- In 2012, she was featured by Yahoo.com as one of the ten most iconic beauties of Hindi cinema.
- In 2012, Kajol was appointed as the brand ambassador of Pratham, a charity organisation for children.