Meryl Streep is an American actress. Ever since her debut in the 1970s, she has been ruling the stage and big screen alike with her tremendous performance and top class acting capability. Her ability to bring to life the characters and the panache with which she deals with each of them is commendable. Streep’s outstanding ability is profoundly visible from the fact that she has 17 nominations at Academy Awards (winning three) and 27 nominations at Golden Globe Awards (winning eight), which is the highest ever recorded nominations by an actor in the history of both the awards.
Mary Louise Streep
Birthday / Date of Birth
Meryl Streep was born on the 22th of June 1949, in Summit, New Jersey, United States.
She’s currently 73 years old.
Meryl attended Cedar Hill Elementary School and the Oak Street School, which was a Junior High school back then. In 1963, the family moved to Bernardsville, New Jersey, where she attended Bernards High School. She then got admission at the Vassar College from where she graduated in 1971 with BA cum laude. In 1975, she completed her MFA studies from Yale School of Drama, New Haven, Connecticut, United States. She also studied at the Dartmouth College as a visiting student and in 1981 received an Honorary Doctor of Arts degree.
- Father – Harry William Streep Jr. (Pharmaceutical Executive)
- Mother – Mary Wolf Wilkinson (Commercial Artist and Art Editor)
- Siblings – Dana David Streep (Younger Brother) (Actor), Harry William III (Younger Brother) (Actor and Producer)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Meryl Streep has dated –
- John Cazale (1975-1978) – Meryl first met actor John Cazale during an audition for New York City’s famed show Shakespeare in the Park and they grew close while working on the show. She remained with him even after he was diagnosed with lung cancer and until his death in March 1978.
- Don Gummer (1978-Present) – Streep met sculptor Don Gummer through her brother, who was Gummer’s close friend. Apparently, Gummer had come with her brother to help her pack up the apartment, she shared with Cazale. Soon after they started dating and she moved in with him. About six months after Cazale’s untimely death, Meryl had got married to Gummer. The couple has 4 children, son Henry (b. 1979), daughters Mamie (b. 1983), Grace (b. 1986) and Louisa (b. 1991).
- In feet – 5 feet 6 inches
- In centimeters – 168 cm
- In meters – 1.68 m
- In Kilograms – 73 kg
- In Pounds – 161 lbs
- Measurements – 38-30-39
- Bust – 38 inches
- Waist – 30 inches
- Hip – 39 inches
- Bra Size – 36B
She wears a size 8 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 12 (US).
Starring in critically acclaimed movies like The Bridges of Madison County (1995) and Music of the Heart (1999).
In 1975, Streep made her stage debut in Trelawny of the Wells.
In 1977, Meryl made her film debut drama film Julia in the role of Anne Marie.
In 1977, Streep made her screen debut in the television film The Deadliest Season.
In 1990, Meryl starred in a TV commercial for Amercian Express Credit Card.
Meryl Streep Net worth
Meryl Streep has a estimated net worth of $160 million dollars as of 2023.
Social Media Profiles
Meryl does not have any social media account.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Meryl Streep
- Instead of getting enrolled at the Yale to study drama, she wanted to get admission at the law school. However, she missed her interview because she slept till late that morning.
- She wasn’t too keen on playing the role of former British Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher, which helped her win the third Oscar. Streep didn’t agree with certain policies of her rule.
- She is the only actor to have most Golden Globe nominations till date with 29 nominations.
- In 2004, Meryl was awarded the AFI Life Achievement Award by the board of directors of the American Film Institute.
- In 2009, Streep played chef Julia Child in Nora Ephron’s Julie & Julia, co-starring with Stanley Tucci, and again with Amy Adams.
- In 2010, she was honored with the National Medal of Arts by then US President Barack Obama, who also awarded her the Presidential Medal of Freedom in 2014.
- In 2013, Streep starred alongside Julia Roberts and Ewan McGregor in the black comedy drama August: Osage County about a dysfunctional family that re-unites into the familial house when their patriarch suddenly disappears.
- In 24 November 2014, Meryl was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom by President Barack Obama.
- In 2015, she starred in Jonathan Demme’s Ricki and the Flash, playing a grocery store checkout worker by day who is a rock musician at night, and who has one last chance to reconnect with her estranged family.
- In April 2015, Streep had funded a screenwriters lab for female screenwriters over forty years old, called the Writers Lab, to be run by New York Women in Film & Television and the collective IRIS.
- In January 8, 2017, Meryl accepted the Cecil B. DeMille Award for Lifetime Achievement at the Golden Globes, during which she delivered a highly political speech that implicitly criticized then-President-elect Donald Trump.
- In 2018, she briefly reprised the role of Donna Sheridan in the musical sequel Mamma Mia! Here We Go Again.
- In 2018, Meryl collaborated with 300 women in Hollywood to set up the Time’s Up initiative to protect women from harassment and discrimination.