Ella Mai is an English singer and songwriter and Grammy Award winner. She was signed by American record producer Mustard’s record label, 10 Summers Records in late 2014 upon being discovered on social media. Her self-titled debut studio album was released in October 2018 and featured the singles Boo’d Up and Trip, which were released on 20 February 2018 and 3 August 2018, respectively. In 2019, Boo’d Up was nominated for two Grammy Awards: Song of the Year and Best R&B Song, winning for the latter, as well as Mai herself being nominated for British Breakthrough Act at the 2019 Brit Awards.
Ella Mai Howell
10 Summers, Interscope Records
Birthday / Date of Birth
Ella Mai was born on 3rd of November 1994, in London, England, United kingdom.
She is currently 25 years old.
Los Angeles, California, United States
She has Irish ancestry on her father’s side and Jamaican roots on her mother’s side.
Mai moved from London to New York City at the age of 12 and graduated from Queens High School of Teaching in Glen Oaks, Queens, before returning to England. Later, she studied creative musicianship at the British and Irish Modern Music Institute London.
- Father – Unknown
- Mother – Her mother is a teacher.
- Siblings – Unknown
Boyfriend / Spouse
Ella Mai has dated –
- Kehlani (2018) – In August 2018, she was linked with fellow singer, Kehlani, after a video of them cuddling emerged on the social media. Some sources claimed that they had been dating for a couple of weeks but had opted to keep it a secret as Ella was worried that a lesbian affair won’t be good for her image.
- Jayson Tatum (2019-Present) – Ella started dating basketball player Jayson Tatum in 2019.
- In feet – 5 feet 7 inches
- In centimeters – 170 cm
- In meters – 1.70 m
- In Kilograms – 55 kg
- In Pounds – 121 lbs
- Measurements – 34-25-34
- Bust – 34 inches
- Waist – 25 inches
- Hip – 34 inches
- Bra Size – 32D
Her dress size is 4 (US).
She wears a size 8 (US) shoe.
Ella Mai found plenty of success with her hit single Boo’d Up, which peaked at #5 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart and was certified as 2x Platinum by RIAA.
In February 2016, she released her debut EP, Time, which didn’t earn much success. She found success with her second EP, Change, which peaked at the 20th position on the US R&B chart.
In 2018, Ella Mai made her first TV show appearance on the comedy talk show Jimmy Kimmel Live!.
Ella Mai hasn’t done endorsement work for any brand yet.
Awards & Nominations
|2018||MTV Video Music Awards||Song of Summer||“Boo’d Up”||Nominated|
|American Music Awards||Favorite Song – Soul/R&B||Nominated|
|Favorite Female Artist – Soul/R&B||Herself||Nominated|
|Soul Train Music Awards||Best Song of the Year||“Boo’d Up”||Won|
|The Ashford & Simpson Songwriter’s Award||Won|
|Best Video of the Year||Nominated|
|Best R&B/Soul Female Artist||Herself||Won|
|BBC||Sound of 2019||Nominated|
|Metro||Ones To Watch 2019||Nominated|
|2019||Grammy Awards||Best R&B Song||“Boo’d Up”||Won|
|Song of the Year||Nominated|
|Brit Awards||Best Breakthrough Act||Herself||Nominated|
|iHeartRadio Music Awards||R&B Song of the Year||“Boo’d Up”||Won|
|R&B Artist of the Year||Herself||Won|
|Best New R&B Artist||Won|
|Billboard Music Awards||Top New Artist||Nominated|
|Top Female Artist||Nominated|
|Top R&B Artist||Won|
|Top R&B Female Artist||Won|
|Top R&B Album||Ella Mai||Nominated|
|Top R&B Song||“Boo’d Up”||Won|
|BET Awards||Coca-Cola Viewers’ Choice Award||Won|
|MTV Video Music Awards||Best R&B||Nominated|
|BMI Award||Most Performed R&B/Hip-Hop Songs||“Boo’d Up”||Won|
Ella Mai Favorite
Ella Mai Net worth
Ella Mai has an estimated net worth of $6 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Ella Mai
- Ella was named by her parents after the iconic jazz singer, Ella Fitzgerald.
- As a child, she got trained in acting, dance and vocals.
- While studying in New York, Ella turned her attention to soccer and played soccer for 9 years with the school team as well as for a club.
- In 2014, she competed on the 11th season of the music reality show The X Factor along with her crew named Arize which was formed with a few like-minded girls. Unfortunately they couldn’t make past the audition round.
- She started her music journey by posting song covers on her social media accounts and started posting covers on Instagram in 2015.
- In 2017, Kehlani roped Ella Mai in for her SweetSexySavage World Tour.
- In 2018 she won three Soul Train Music Awards, two for her single Boo’d Up and one for herself in the category Best R&B/Soul Female Artist.
- In August 2018, she toured across the major cities in the US as a part of The Boo’d Up Tour.
- In 2019, Ella Mai won the Billboard Music Awards for Top R&B Artist and Top Female R&B Artist.