Arijit Singh is an Indian playback singer. He sings predominantly in Hindi and Bengali but has also performed in various other Indian languages. Singh is regarded as one of the most versatile and successful singers in the history of Indian music and Hindi cinema. He is one of the artists whose name and voice are found in almost all movies, with his every song topping the charts. Singh made his career breakthrough after he participated in the contemporary reality show, Fame Gurukul in 2005 and was discovered by filmmaker Sanjay Leela Bhansali & Kumar Taurani. Singh received widespread recognition with the release of Tum Hi Ho and Chahun Main Ya Naa in 2013. Singh was declared the most streamed Indian artist of the year 2019 by Spotify.
Singer, Music Composer, Music Programmer, Music Producer
Playback Singing, Filmi, Pop, EDM, Ghazal, Classical
Vocals, Guitar, Piano, Tabla
Birthday / Date of Birth
Arijit Singh was born on the 25th of April 1987, in Jiaganj, Murshidabad, West Bengal, India.
He’s currently 32 years old.
Andheri, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Arijit has Punjabi ancestry on his father’s side and Bengali ancestry on his mother’s side.
Arijit completed his schooling from Raja Bijay Singh High School in Murshidabad and went on to complete his college education at Sripat Singh College in Jiaganj, a University of Kalyani affiliate.
- Father – Unknown (LIC agent)
- Mother – His mother is a homemaker.
- Siblings – Amrita Singh
Girlfriend / Spouse
Arijit Singh has dated –
- Ruprekha Banerjee (2013) – Arijit first wife, Ruprekha Banerjee was one of the finalists of the reality show Fame Gurukul. They married in 2013.
- Koyel Roy (2014-Present) – Arijit tied the knot with his childhood friend Koyel at Trapith Temple in West Bengal on January 21, 2014. The wedding was an intimate affair with only close family and relatives present. The couple has three children’s, two sons, one of his son’s name is Jul and a step-daughter from Koyel’s first marriage.
- In feet – 5 feet 7 inches
- In centimeters – 171 cm
- In meters – 1.71 m
- In Kilograms – 76 kg
- In Pounds – 168 lbs
- Measurements – 40–12–32
- Chest – 40 in or 102 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 12 in or 30.5 cm
- Waist – 32 in or 81 cm
His shoe size is 8.5 (US).
Singh made his career breakthrough after he participated in the contemporary reality show, Fame Gurukul in 2005 and was discovered by filmmaker Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Kumar Taurani. He made his Bollywood debut with the song Phir Mohabbat from Murder 2. The song was recorded in 2009 but was released in 2011. At the start of his singing career, he received nominations for the Upcoming Male Vocalist of the Year award at the 2013 Mirchi Music Awards for renditions of Phir Le Aya Dil and Duaa, winning the award for the latter. Singh was declared the most streamed Indian artist of the year 2019 by Spotify.
In 2011, Arijit Singh made his debut as a singer with the Bengali movie Egaro: The Immortal XI and lent his vocals for the background score. He made his Bollywood debut with the song Phir Mohabbat from Murder 2. The song was recorded in 2009 but was released in 2011.
Arijit has not made his film debut yet as an actor.
In 2005, Arijit made his television show debut as a contestant on the reality show Fame Gurukul. However, he lost the competition ending up at 6th place.
Arijit has lent his voice to the following commercials, Gaana.com & Hero Splendor.
Arijit Singh Favorites
- Favorite Actor – Salman Khan, Akshay Kumar, Manoj Bajpayee
- Favorite Actress – Priyanka Chopra, Deepika Padukone
- Favorite Song – Phir Le Aaya Dil by Barfi
- Favorite Cricket Players – Sachin Tendulkar, Lance Klusener, Jonty Rhodes
- Favorite Singers – Lata Mangeshkar, Mohammed Rafi, Kishore Kumar, Coldplay
- Favorite Footballers – Lionel Messi, Thomas Muller
- Favorite Badminton Player – Saina Nehwal
- Favorite Music Directors – Pritam Chakraborty, Vishal-Shekhar, Shankar-Ehsan-Loy, Amit Trivedi, Mithun Sharma, AR Rahman, Sajid-Wajid
- Favorite Sports – Cricket, Football, Badminton
- Favorite Football Teams – Brazil, Argentina
- Favorite Genre – Folk Music
- Favorite Fruits – Oranges, Apples
- Favorite Desserts – Ice-creams
- Favorite Restaurant – Food Inn
- Favorite Dish – Home-made food
- Favorite Food – Maacher Jhol & Mishti, Alu Seddo, Daal, Bhaat & Alu Posto
Arijit Singh Net worth
Arijit Singh has an estimated net worth of $8 million dollars as of 2020 and he takes 10-15 lakhs per movie song.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Arijit Singh
- Arijit comes from a musical family background as his grandmother, mother and sister are fine singers.
- His hobbies include cycling and photography.
- He is fond of reading Bengali novels and short stories.
- Arijit was fond of listening to Mozart, Beethoven and Bengali classical music when he was young.
- Singh made his career breakthrough after he participated in the contemporary reality show, Fame Gurukul in 2005 and was discovered by filmmaker Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Kumar Taurani.
- He participated in another reality show, 10 Ke 10 Le Gaye Dil and won that competition.
- He is a philanthropist and also owns an NGO named Let There Be Light.
- In September 2013, he was arrested for assaulting a journalist, when a journalist asked him about the divorce case with his wife Koyel. Arijit Singh said that he only attacked the camera, not the cameraman; because he did not stop recording even when Arijit had requested him to do so. Behrampore CJM Court granted him bail later.
- In 2016, he appeared on the popular chat and comedy show The Kapil Sharma Show aired on Sony TV India. The show’s host Kapil Sharma explained the difficulties he had bringing Singh on the show due to his shy nature.
- In May 2016, he posted a letter requesting Salman Khan to retain his (Arijit’s) version of the Jag Ghoomeya in the movie Sultan. However, he deleted the post after a few hours. The possible reason for the enmity between the two seems to be from the incident at the 2014 Star Guild Award Function. Arijit was called on stage to receive the award, Salman had just done his performance on Prem Ratan Dhan Payo and was presenting the award to Arijit. Arijit came on stage saying Aap logo ne toh sula diya to which Salman might have felt insulted.
- In 2017, he sang for Shah Rukh Khan and performed a romantic duet with Harshdeep Kaur called Zaalima, composed by Pritam’s JAM8 and written by Amitabh Bhattacharya from the movie Raees.
- In 2018, Singh sang Aaj Se Teri for the film Pad Man, composed by Amit Trivedi and written by Kausar Munir.
- In 2019, Singh sang Ruan Ruan from film Sonchiriya composed by Vishal Bhardwaj and penned by Varun Grover, followed by Mere Pyare Prime Minister from Mere Pyare Prime Minister on composition of Shankar–Ehsaan–Loy and lyrics of Gulzar.
- In 2019, he won the National Film Award for Best Male Playback Singer for the song Binte Dil from the film Padmaavat.