Zaira Wasim is an Indian film teen actress. She made her acting debut with the biographical sports drama Dangal and followed with a starring role in the musical drama Secret Superstar, both of which rank among the highest grossing Indian films of all time. Wasim’s acclaimed portrayal of an Indian sportswoman Geeta Phogat in the former won her the National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress and a headstrong aspiring singer in the latter won her the Filmfare Critics Award for Best Actress.
Birthday / Date of Birth
Zaira Wasim was born on October 23, 2000, in Srinagar, Jammu and Kashmir, India.
She’s currently 18 years old.
Zaira Wasim went to the St. Paul’s International Academy in Sonwar Bagh, Srinagar. After completing her 10th class education, she shifted to the Jammu’s Heritage School. She decided to select humanities stream for her studies.
She has Kashmiri ancestry.
- Father – Zahid Wasim (Executive Manager)
- Mother – Zarqa Wasim (Teacher)
- Siblings – Zohraiz Wasim (Brother)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Zaira Wasim has dated –
Zaira Wasim has strived hard to keep her personal life away from the public domain after she was caught up in silly controversies early in her career. Therefore, it is difficult to say anything about her dating history and love life.
- In feet – 5 feet 1 inch
- In centimeters – 155 cm
- In meters – 1.55 m
- In Kilograms – 54 kg
- In Pounds – 119 lbs
- Measurements – 33-27-35
- Bust – 33 inches
- Waist – 27 inches
- Hip – 35 inches
- Bra Size – 30C
She wears a size 6 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 4 (US).
Having played the role of Young Geeta Phogat in the biographical sports movie, Dangal and being cast in the lead role in the musical drama movie, Secret Superstar, which was produced by her Dangal co-star Aamir Khan, who also played an important role in the movie. The movie was made on a budget of Rs. 150 million and went on to earn revenue of Rs. 9650 million.
In 2016, she made her debut in the critically acclaimed sports drama Dangal, plying younger Geeta Phogat. She became overnight sensation with the film that earned her several awards including National Film Award for Best Supporting Actress.
She hasn’t yet appeared in television series.
Before making her footprint in films, she has appeared in a couple of television commercials, one for Tata Sky and another for Microsoft Lumia.
- In 2016, her trimmed haircut photos took the internet by storm and was trolled by fringe elements within the Muslim community who called her an un-Islamic for doing acting.
- The same year, she met the then Jammu & Kashmir Chief Minister Mehbooba Mufti, who presented Zaira as a Kashmiri youth icon, which was not liked some localities. Seeing the sensitivity of the matter, Zaira apologized via her social media account.
- However, she later deleted her apology post and posted another post, which was also deleted by her after some time.
- On January 2017, the former Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports Vijay Goel tweeted a photo by mentioning her. In reply, Zaira tweeted “I feel I must disagree. I request you not to connect me to such a discourteous depiction. Women in hijab are beautiful and free. Moreover, the story depicted through this painting is not even remotely relevant to mine.”
- On 10 December 2017, she was molested on a Vistara flight from Delhi to Mumbai, by a 39-year-old Vikas Sachdeva, a senior executive of a media and entertainment company. The same day, the Police arrested the accused of molesting her and booked him under section 354 (assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty) of IPC, and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO).
Zaira Wasim Favorites
- Favorite Actor – Aamir Khan
- Favorite Singer – Ed Sheeran
- Favorite Song – “Jealous” by Labrinth
- Favorite Color – Black
Zaira Wasim Net worth
Zaira Wasim’s net worth is estimated to be $1 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Zaira Wasim
- Wasim was one among 1000 girls who gave audition to play the role of Gheeta Phogat. Aamir Khan, the mastermind the film, was impressed with her performance and offered her a lead role.
- Her parents were against her decision to act in the film but Zaira’s school principal convinced them for letting Zaira work in the film.
- She had social anxiety and self-esteem issues before she started her acting career.
- Since the film is a biopic of an Indian wrestler Geeta Phogat, who won Gold medal for India in the Common Wealth Asian Games, Zaira had to go rigours training in wrestling to match her in the film.
- Her parents let her down saying that she should not act in films, but her school principal convinced them and inspired her to act in Dangal.
- As a animal lover, she loves cats the most.
- Zaira Wasim also knows to play guitar.
- In 2015, she appeared in Microsoft Lumia & Tata Sky advertisements.
- In 2017, She received National Child Awards for Exceptional Achievement for her contribution to arts, culture, academics, sports and many other factors.
- In 2017, she was appointed as the “Youth Ambassador” for the 11th edition of the Bengaluru Midnight Marathon.
- In November 2017, she was presented with the National Child Award for Exceptional Achievement by Ram Nath Kovind, the President of India at a ceremony in New Delhi.
- In January 2018, she was caught up in a social media storm after she met then Jammu and Kashmir chief minister Mehbooba Mufti. The Kashmiri people were miffed with Mufti’s handling the army and civilian relations and decided to vent their frustrations on Wasim.
- In May 2018, she opened up about her struggle with suicidal thoughts and anxiety in a social media post. She revealed that she was diagnosed with depression and anxiety about 4 and a half years ago.