Katie Ledecky is an American competitive swimmer. She has won five Olympic gold medals and 14 world championship gold medals, the most in history for a female swimmer. She is the current world record holder in the women’s 400, 800 and 1500 meter freestyle. She also holds the fastest ever times in the women’s 500, 1000 and 1650 yard freestyle events.
Kathleen Genevieve Ledecky
Birthday / Date of Birth
Katie Ledecky was born on 17 March 1997, in Washington, D.C., United States.
She’s currently 22 years old.
Bethesda, Maryland, United States
Katie attended Little Flower School and graduated from Stone Ridge School of the Sacred Heart in 2015. She then enrolled with an athletic scholarship at the Stanford University.
- Father – David Ledecky
- Mother – Mary Gen Hagan (University of New Mexico Swimmer)
- Siblings – Michael (Older Brother – Former Swimmer, Harvard Passout, New York Islanders co-cowner)
- Others – Jaromír Ledecký (Paternal Grandfather), Berta Ruth Greenwald (Paternal Grandmother), Edward Jordan Hagan (Maternal Grandfather), Kathleen Frances O’Connor (Maternal Grandmother), Jon Ledecky (Paternal Uncle) (Owner of New York Islanders)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Katie has dated –
Katie has largely remained silent about her personal life while interacting with the media, which makes it difficult for us to ascertain anything about her dating history and love life.
- In feet – 6 feet
- In centimeters – 183 cm
- In meters – 1.83 m
- In Kilograms – 70 kg
- In Pounds – 154 lbs
- Measurements – 33-24-35
- Bust – 33 inches
- Waist – 24 inches
- Hip – 35 inches
- Bra Size – 32A
Being an internationally-ranked competitive female swimmer who has won a number of Olympic gold medals and world championships.
Katie Ledecky was the youngest American when she made her international debut at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London, in which she won the Gold third in the 800-meter freestyle event. She received the 2012 Best Female Performance of the Year and Breakout Performer of the Year at the Golden Goggle Awards.
World Championships Debut
At the 2013 World Championships, Ledecky won gold in the 400-, 800-, and 1500-meter freestyle, and in the 4×200-meter freestyle relay, and set two world records.
- She was only 16 when she achieved her first world record in 1500-meter freestyle relay at the 2013 World Championships, Barcelona, Spain. She won gold in the event in a world record time of 15:36.53, breaking the record held by compatriot Kate Ziegler by six seconds.
- In 800-meter freestyle, Ledecky won gold in a world record of 8:13.86, at the 2013 World Championships, Barcelona, Spain on August 3, 2013.
- At the 2014 Woodlands Swim Team Senior Invitational, Ledecky set two records in the 1500-meter freestyle and the 800-meter freestyle, finishing in a record time of 15:34.23 and 8:11.00, at the age of 17.
- At the 2014 Pan Pacific Swimming Championships in Gold Coast, Australia, Ledecky broke two world records in the 1500-meter freestyle and the 400-meter freestyle, with times of 3:58.37 and 15:28.36, respectively. She won five gold medals through the tournament becoming the first woman to win four individual gold medals at a single Pan Pacific Championship.
- At the 2015 World Aquatics Championships in Kazan, Russia, Ledecky broke three world records in the 800- and 1500-meter freestyles, with times of 8:07.39, 15:27.71 (1500 m) and 15:25.48 (1500 m), respectively.
- At the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, Ledecky broke two world records in the 400- and 800-meter freestyles, with times of 3:56.46 and 8:04.79, respectively.
Katie made her debut appearance on television on Fox News Sunday in 2014.
Katie has appeared in a TV advertisement for Pool Safely.
Honors & Awards
- Ledecky was a USA Olympic team member in 2012 and 2016, and holds the record for most individual gold medals (10) and overall gold medals (14) at the World Aquatics Championships.
- Her combined 14 individual titles at the Olympics (four) and World Aquatics Championships (10) are also a record for female swimmers.
Ledecky has also received the following awards:
- Swimming World World Swimmer of the Year Award: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Swimming World American Swimmer of the Year Award: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- FINA Swimmer of the Year: 2013
- FINA Best Swimming Performance of the Year: 2015, 2016
- Associated Press Female Athlete of the Year: 2017
- L’Équipe Champion of Champions: 2014, 2017
- Time 100: 2016 (youngest person on the list)
- USOC SportsWoman of the Year: 2012–13, 2016, 2017
- USA Swimming Athlete of the Year: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- USA Swimming Performance of the Year Award: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Golden Goggle Female Athlete of the Year: 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Golden Goggle Female Race of the Year: 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
- Golden Goggle Breakout Performer of the Year: 2012
- Honda Sports Award Winner for NCAA Division I Swimming and Diving: 2016–17
- Honda Cup Winner: 2016–17
- Women’s Sports Foundation Athlete of the Year (Individual Sport): 2017
- Academic All-America Team Member of the Year, Division I: 2017-2018
Katie Ledecky Favorites
- Favorite Athlete – Walter Reed
- Favorite Sport Teams – Washington Capitals and New York Islanders
- Favorite TV Show – Blue Bloods
- Favorite Dessert – Pumpkin Apple Bread
- Favorite Musicians – The Beatles, Bruce Springsteen, Taylor Swift, Train, Gavin DeGraw
Katie Ledecky Net worth
Katie Ledecky has a net worth of $4 million dollars as of 2019 and all of the money coming from her swimming career.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Katie Ledecky
- Katie has been swimming since she was six years old.
- She represents Team USA in international championships and holds 14 individual titles at the Olympics (four) and World Aquatics Championships (10).
- She has broken thirteen world records in a career spanning over five years at international arena.
- She holds several records in the women’s 400-, 800-, and 1500-metre freestyle events as well as holds the fastest-ever times in the women’s 500-, 1000-, and 1650-yard freestyle events.
- Ledecky is involved with multiple charities, including Catholic Charities, Shepherd’s Table, Bikes for the World, and Wounded Warriors.
- She was awarded with the Swimming World World Swimmer of the Year Award from 2013 to 2016 and Swimming World American Swimmer of the Year Award from 2013 to 2017.
- Katie was honored with the Women’s Sports Foundation Athlete of the Year (Individual Sport) in 2017.
- She has received many Golden Goggle Awards in various categories including Female Athlete of the Year Award (2013 – 2017), Female Racer of the Year Award (2012 – 2015) and Breakout Performer Award in 2012.
- Besides breaking her own records, Ledecky has broken several records set by other international swimmers in international tournaments.
- She is a philanthropist and works with charities like Catholic Charities, Shepherd’s Table, Bikes for the World, and Wounded Warriors.
- Her mother was also a swimmer and swam for the University of New Mexico.
- She admits to having a very messy room.
- She enjoys traveling.
- Katie learned to play the piano when she was a child.
- She enjoys playing scrabble and chess with her older brother.
- When she was in the 4th grade, she broke her arm during a basketball game.
- She finds her brother to be her biggest influencer in swimming.