Amitabh Bachchan is an Indian film actor, film producer, television host, occasional playback singer and former politician. He first gained popularity in the early 1970s for films such as Zanjeer, Deewaar and Sholay and was dubbed India’s angry young man for his on screen roles in Bollywood. He has won fifteen Filmfare Awards and is the most nominated performer in any major acting category at Filmfare with 41 nominations overall.
Big B, Munna, Angry Young Man, Bollywood’s Shahenshah, Amith, AB Sr., One Man Industry, Superstar of the Millenium, The Last Emperor, Mahanayak, Amit Ji
Actor, Producer, Singer, Television Presenter
Birthday / Date of Birth
Amitabh Bachchan was born on the 11th of October 1942, in Allahabad, United Provinces, British India (Uttar Pradesh, India).
He’s currently 77 years old.
Big B lives in his iconic bungalow Prateeksha in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Amitabh attended the Sherwood College which is a co-educational school in Nainital and graduation (B.Sc.) from Kirori Mal College in University of Delhi, India. Initially, he wanted to become an engineer and was keen to join the Indian Air Force.
- Father – Harivansh Rai Bachchan (Poet and writer) (Died in 2003)
- Mother – Teji Bachchan (Social Activist) (Died in 2007)
- Siblings – Ajitabh Bachchan (Younger Brother)
- Relatives – Pratap Narayan Shrivastav (Paternal Grandfather), Saraswati Devi (Paternal Grandmother), Khazan Singh Suri (Maternal Grandfather), Amar Kaur Sodhi (Maternal Grandmother)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Amitabh Bachchan has dated –
- Rekha – Amitabh’s infamous affair with actress Rekha started on the sets of the film Do Anjaane in 1976. Amitabh was already a married man so they kept their relationship a secret. And for the sake of secrecy, they used to meet often at the bungalow owned by Rekha’s friend. They managed to keep their affair a secret for two years until the shooting of Ganga Ki Saugandh.
- Jaya Bhaduri (1973-Present) – Amitabh and his wife Jaya first saw each other in early 1970 at the Pune Film Institute. They met each other again on the sets of the movie, Guddi, in which she was playing the lead role, while Amitabh was set to make a guest appearance. He realized that it was the right time to get married and so they tied the knot in June 1973. It was a low-key ceremony, attended by few family members and a couple of friends. The couple has a daughter, Shweta Bachchan and a son, Abhishek Bachchan who is also an actor.
- In feet – 6 feet 2 inches
- In centimeters – 188 cm
- In meters – 1.88 m
- In Kilograms – 80 kg
- In Pounds – 176 lbs
- Measurements – 40-12-34
- Chest – 40 in or 102 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 12 in or 30.5 cm
- Waist – 33 in or 84 cm
Salt and Pepper
His shoe size is 12 (US).
Amitabh is best known for his performances in Bollywood films like Zanjeer (1973), Deewaar (1975), Sholay (1975), Don (1978) and Agneepath (1990). He received several popular awards from the Government of India such as Padma Shri in 1984, Padma Bhushan in 2001 and Padma Vibhushan in 2015.
In 1969, he made his film debut as the leading role in an action movie, Saat Hindustani and he win the National Film Award for Best Newcomer for his performance in the movie.
In 2013, he made his Hollywood debut in The Great Gatsby making a special appearance opposite Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire.
In 2000, Amitabh made his first television show appearance as the host of the popular game show, Kaun Banega Crorepati. He hosted the popular Indian television game show Kaun Banega Crorepati Season 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9. In 2009, he also hosted the famous reality show, Bigg Boss Season 3.
Amitabh Bachchan has done brand endorsement work for the following brands- Pepsi (2005) (2009), Dabur Chyawanprash (2007), Parker Pen (2003), Incredible India campaign by the Gujarat Tourism Corporation (2012), Kalyan Jewelers (2013), ABP News (2013), ICICI Bank (2013), Complan (Takat Ka Bhoot ) (2014), Daawat Basmati Rice (2013), Tuberculosis Eradication and Awareness Campaign (2014), BoroPlus Antiseptic Cream (2015), TVS Jupiter (2015), Dr. Fixit (2016), Parle Biscuits (2013), Cadbury Dairy Milk (2004), Maggi Noodles (2015), Tanishq (2011) & Emami Navratna (2017).
Amitabh Bachchan Favorites
- Favorite Actor – Dilip Kumar
- Favorite Actress – Waheeda Rehman
- Favorite Comedian – Mehmood Ali
- Favorite Film – Kagaz Ke Phool, Ganga Jamuna, Pyasa, Gone With The Wind, Godfather, Black, Scarface
- Favorite Singer – Lata Mangeshkar, Kishore Kumar
- Favorite Music Instrument – Sarod
- Favorite Sweet Shop – Jhama Sweets, Chembur, Mumbai
- Favorite Sports – Cricket, Lawn Tennis
- Favorite Tennis Player – Novak Djokovic
- Favorite Football Club – Chelsea
- Favorite Perfume – Lomani
- Favorite Holiday Destination – London, Switzerland, Saint Petersburg
- Favorite Color – White
- Favorite Food – Bhindi Sabzi, Jalebi, Kheer, Gulab Jamun
Amitabh Bachchan Net worth
Amitabh Bachchan has an estimated net worth of $400 million dollars as of 2020.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Amitabh Bachchan
- Amitabh is ambidextrous and can write well with both hands.
- He once gave audition test in All India Radio but was rejected.
- During his struggling days, a popular comedian Mehmood offered him to stay in his own house.
- His mother had interest in theatres and was even offered a feature film role which she denied later and preferred her domestic duties.
- Bachchan was made ambassador for the Save Our Tigers campaign which aimed to promote the importance of tiger conservation in India.
- He had also spent few nights on a bench at Marine Drive, Mumbai.
- In 1971, he then played his first antagonist role as an infatuated lover-turned-murderer in Parwana.
- In 1972, he made an appearance in the road action comedy Bombay to Goa.
- In 1974, Bachchan made several guest appearances in films such as Kunwara Baap and Dost, before playing a supporting role in Roti Kapda Aur Makaan.
- In 1975, he starred in a variety of film genres, from the comedy Chupke Chupke and the crime drama Faraar to the romantic drama Mili.
- Amitabh worked in 8 different languages like Hindi, English, Punjabi, Marathi, Kannada, Telugu, Bhojpuri and Malayalam.
- In 1984, he joined the politics to support his friend Rajiv Gandhi. He contested for the Allahabad seat against Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna in the eighth Lok Sabha elections.
- In 1996, he established Amitabh Bachchan Corporation, Ltd. (ABCL) which aimed to work in production, distribution as well as all other aspects of the entertainment industry.
- In 1997, Bachchan attempted to make his acting comeback with the film Mrityudata produced by ABCL.
- In 1998, Bachchan attempted to revive his acting career and eventually had commercial success with Bade Miyan Chote Miyan.
- In 2000, Amitabh appeared in Yash Chopra’s box-office hit, Mohabbatein directed by Aditya Chopra.
- In 2001, he was honored with the Actor of the Century award at the Alexandria International Film Festival held in Egypt for his contribution to cinema.
- In 2002, he was appointed as the UNICEF Goodwill Ambassador for the Polio Eradication Campaign.
- In 2002, he published his autobiographical book, Soul Curry For You and Me – An Empowering Philosophy That Can Enrich Your Life.
- In 2005, Bachchan lent his voice to the Oscar-winning French documentary March of the Penguins directed by Luc Jacquet.
- In 2007, the Government of France awarded him their country’s highest civilian honor, Knight of the Legion of Honour in recognition of his achievements in cinema.
- In 2009, Bachchan hosted the third season of the reality show Bigg Boss.
- In 2010, he debuted in Malayalam film through Kandahar directed by Major Ravi and co-starring Mohanlal.
- In 2012, he was named Hottest Vegetarian by PETA India.
- In 2013, he made his Hollywood debut in The Great Gatsby making a special appearance opposite Leonardo DiCaprio and Tobey Maguire.
- In 2013, he was conferred with the Honorary Citizenship of the French town of Deauville.
- In 2013, he acquired 10% stake in Just Dial. Within a couple of years, the value of his investment in the company increased by 4600 percent.
- In 2014, he debuted in the fictional Sony Entertainment Television TV series titled Yudh playing the lead role of a businessman battling both his personal and professional life.
- In 2017, he appeared in the third installment of the Sarkar film series: Ram Gopal Varma’s Sarkar 3.