Aishwarya Rai also known by her married name Aishwarya Rai Bachchan, is an Indian actress, model and the winner of the Miss World 1994 pageant. Through her successful acting career, she has established herself as one of the most popular and influential celebrities in India. Rai has received numerous accolades including two Filmfare Awards from eleven nominations and she was honored with the Padma Shri by the Government of India in 2009 and the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres by the Government of France in 2012. She has often been cited in the media as “The most beautiful woman in the World”.
Aish, Gullu, Ash
Birthday / Date of Birth
Aishwarya was born on November 1, 1973 in Mangalore, Karnataka, India.
She is currently 45 years old.
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
Indian / Asian
Aishwarya Rai completed her school from Arya Vidya Mandir High School in Mumbai. Rai went to Jai Hind College for a year for her intermediate schooling, and then enrolled in DG Ruparel College of Arts, Science & Commerce in Matunga, where she secured 90 percent in the HSC exams. She aspired to make a career in medicine since her favorite subject was Zoology.But, she enrolled at Rachana Sansad Academy of Architecture as she changed her plans to become an architect, however she dropped out to pursue a full time career in modeling.
- Father – Krishnaraj Rai (Marine biologist)
- Mother – Brindya Rai (Writer)
- Siblings – Aditya Rai (Elder Brother) (Works as an engineer at Merchant Navy)
- Relatives – Amitabh Bachchan (Father-in-law)(Actor, Producer), Jaya Bachchan (Mother-in-law) (Actress)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Ash dated –
- Vivek Oberoi – Oberoi, who is 3 years younger than her dated Aishwarya in the past.
- Salman Khan (1999-2001) – Salman acted in the 1999 film “Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam” with Aishwarya. This was the start of their dating relationship. But, later in 2001, it came to an end. Rai reported to the media as Salman abused her emotionally, physically and verbally. But, Khan on the other hand, denied of these offences.
- Abhishek Bachchan (2005-Present) – Finally, Aishwarya married Abhishek. They acted together in the 2006 action film Dhoom 2 and this time, Abhishek fell in love with her. Though this was not the first time – on screen appearance of the duo. They had appeared together in “Dhaai Akshar Prem Ke” (2000) and “Kuch Naa Kaho” (2003). The couple engaged on 14 January, 2007 and married on 20 April, 2007 according to the rituals of the Bunt community, to which Aishwarya belongs. The marriage ceremony took place in the Bachchan’s residence, Prateeksha in Juhu, Mumbai. The couple have one daughter, Aaradhya Bachchan (b. 16 November, 2011). She has been nicknamed as “Beti B” by the fans.
- In feet – 5 feet 7 inches
- In centimeters – 170 cm
- In meters – 1.7 m
- In Kilograms – 58 kg
- In Pounds – 128 lbs
- Measurements – 34-26-34
- Bust – 34 inches
- Waist – 26 inches
- Hip – 34 inches
- Bra Size – 32B
She wears a shoe size 7 (US)
Her dress size is 6 (US).
Aishwarya Rai first appeared in 1997 Tamil political drama film, Iruvar as Pushpavalli / Kalpana alongside Mohanlal and Prakash Raj. The same year, her Bollywood debut came with the romantic comedy film, Aur Pyaar Ho Gaya starring alongside Bobby Deol.
She hasn’t yet cast in any of the television series, however, she has appeared in a number of talk shows or any kind of promotional shows.
Aishwarya Rai has been into modeling since her tender age. She had her first television commercial at her 9th grade for Camlin pencils. Over the years, she became a popular and high-profile celebrity endorser, who has affiliated with several brands like Pepsi, Coco-Cola, Titan Watches, Longines watches, L’Oréal, Lakmé Cosmetics, Casio pager, Philips, Palmolive, Lux, Fuji films, Nakshatra Diamond Jewellery, and Kalyan Jewellers. Ever since Rai bagged the Miss World beauty pageant, she became the favorite of beauty and cosmetics brands. She has been the face of De Beers Diamonds, TTK Group and Lodha Group World One. Aishwarya is among the top paid celebrity female endorser and the highest paid actresses in B-town.
- Rai is the most popular celebrity in international arena who has over 17,000 website dedicated to her.
- Rai has earned the distinction of being the first Indian actress to be on the jury of the Cannes International Film Festival.
- In October 2004, she was honored with a wax statue that has been put on display in London’s Madame Tussaud’s wax museum.
- Her distinctive features are green-blue eyes, luscious lips, sexy curves and ultra-feminine mannerisms.
- She was the first Bollywood celebrity to appear on Oprah’s “Women Across the globe” segment.
- Rai has featured on the list of “Most Beautiful Women in the World” by Harpers and Queen in 2005.
National Honours & Recognitions
- 1994 – Miss India World 1994
- 2000 – Smita Patil Memorial Award for Best Actress.
- 2002 – The Times of India named Aishwarya Rai No.1 on the list of the “100 Most Beautiful Indian Women in the Past Century”.
- 2002 – Rajiv Gandhi Award for Excellence in Field of Entertainment.
- 2003 – V. Shantaram Awards – Best Actress for Devdas
- 2004 – GR8! Women Award for Contribution to Cinema(Special Laurel).
- 2007 – Femina “Most Powerful Indian Woman”.
- 2008 – She was selected by Verve in its list of the country’s “Most Powerful Women”
- 2009 – V. Shantaram Awards – Best Actress for Jodhaa Akbar
- 2009 – Padma Shri, India’s fourth highest civilian award from the Government of India for her contribution to cinema. She created a history by being the youngest actress to receive the award.
- 2009 – Verve “Most Influential Indian Woman”.
- 2009 – Declared as “The Most Powerful Female Actor in India”. The first ever extensive research by a popular research agency(Hansa Research) that was conducted of such magnitude to measure Celebrity Power in India; concentrating on different attributes like Popularity, media presence, power of persuasion and image attributes. This all India research also revealed that Aishwarya Rai Bachchan is amongst the most persuasive and likeable celebrity in India. She has also garnered over 98.8% of recognition as well as recall value which is at par with cinematic legends like Amitabh Bachchan and cricketing star Sachin Tendulkar. Incidentally, she is the only female who is part of the top 10 recognized celebrities from all walks of life.
- 2009 – Filmfare’s “Most Beautiful People”.
- 2010 – The India Today Women Award for Global Achievement.
- 2010 – GR8! Women Award for Social services and international recognition.
- 2010 – Teacher’s Achievement Award – Teacher’s people achievers award.
- 2011 – Femina “India’s Most Beautiful Woman”.
- 2011 – A newer variety of guava, produced by Padma Shri holticulturist Haji Kaleemullah was named after her.
- 2011 – FICCI Frames Excellence Awards – Decade of Global Achievement for contribution to Hindi cinema & acting.
- 2011 – FICCI Frames Award of a Decade of Global Achievement
- 2011 – Honoured with the Pazhassi Raja Purashkaram ‘Abhinaya Kaala Ratna’ instituted by the Pazhassi Raja Charitable Trust.
- 2011 – Honoured by Karnataka Chief Minister B. S. Yeddyurappa at World Kannada Meet (Vishwa Kannada Sammelana) for her contributions to the arts.
- 2012 – Ranked #2 among top “5 Indian Women Who Became Role Models Of Empowerment” alongside with Mother Teresa, Kalpana Chawla, Indra Nooyi and Indira Gandhi.
- 2013 – Giant Award – Outstanding Contribution to Indian Cinema
- 2013 –”Most Popular Actress”(Rank #1) in Filmfare 100 years of cinema issue.
- 2013 – Ranked #2 in “Top 5 Global Icon” in Filmfare 100 years of cinema issue where Rai is the only Female in the list.
- 2014 – Asiavision Awards – Icon Of India.
- 2014 – The Times Of India’s Forever Desirable woman.
- 2015 – Hello! “India’s Most Beautiful”.
- 2016 – Outlook Business Outstanding Women Awards – Outstanding Celebrity Woman of the Year.
- 2016 – NRI Of The Year Award – Global Indian of the Year Award
- 2016 – Gauravvanta Gujarati Award
- 2017 – Femina “Most Beautiful Indian Woman”.
- 2017 – Dadasaheb Phalke Award – Best Actress for Sarbjit
- 2018 – 20 January 2018, Aishwarya Rai Honoured with First Ladies Award by President of India (Ram Nath Kovind) – Titled as the First Lady who had created a history by being the first actor to be recognised as a Global Icon from India and the first Indian actor to be a jury member at the prestigious Cannes Film Festival.Honouring her for these great achievements, the Ministry of Women and Child Development of Government of India has added her in the list of 112 women achievers who have achieved a first in any field and made the country proud.
- 2018 – April 2018, Bunt Community Honoured Aishwarya Rai with “Woman of Substance” title.
- 2018 – Femina “India’s Most Beautful Woman 2018”
Miss World is “The World’s Oldest Running International Beauty Pageant”. It was created in the United Kingdom by Eric Morley in 1951. Since Morley’s death in 2000, his wife, Julia Morley, has co-chaired the competition.
- 1994 – Miss World 1994.
- 1994 – Miss World Continental Queen of Beauty − Asia and Oceania.
- 1994 – Miss Photogenic.
- 2014 – Most Successful Miss World of All Times by the Miss World Organisation.
- 2014 – Lifetime Beauty With a Purpose Award for humanitarian works by Miss World Organisation.
Miss India or Femina Miss India is a national beauty pageant in India that annually selects representatives to compete in Miss World, one of the Big Four major international beauty pageants. It is organised by Femina, a women’s magazine published by The Times Group. Since 2013, Femina also organizes Miss Diva separately which sends representatives to Miss Universe.
- 1994 – Miss India World
Aishwarya Rai Favorites
- Favorite Actor – Raj Kapoor, Amitabh Bachchan, Dilip Kumar
- Favorite Actress – Nargis, Madhubala
- Favorite Food – Chinese and Thai food (all kinds), Chocolates
- Favorite Place – France-Paris, Normandy and Cannes
- Favorite Brand – Loreal, MAC, Maybelline, Revlon
- Favorite Film – Casablanca (1942)
- Favorite Designer – Giorgio Armani
- Favorite Book – The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho
- Favorite Color – Black, Blue, White
Aishwarya Rai Net worth
Aishwarya Rai Bachchan has an estimated net worth of $40 million dollars as of 2019. Her major source of income comes form acting, endorsement deals, appearances in events, and modelling assignments. She charges Rs 7- 8 crore per film, making her the most expensive actress in Bollywood. Rai owns a luxury house in the posh area of Mumbai. She also bought an expensive Sanctuary Falls home in Jumeirah Golf Estates in that has neighbors like Dubai David and Victoria Beckham as well as Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt. She and her husband Abhishek spent $10 million for his exquisite home. Aishwarya has great sense of taste when it comes to cars that can be attributed to her large car collection – Bentley, Audi Q7, Range Rover and Rolls Royce Phantom.
Social Media Portfolio
- Instagram – aishwaryaraibachchan_arb
Some Lesser Known Facts About Aishwarya Rai
- Rai has received numerous awards and accolades, including two Filmfare Awards from eleven nominations and she was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India in 2009.
- Aishwarya Rai was speculated to win Miss India 19994 but lost it to Sushmita Sen. She was then crowned Miss World in 1994.
- She trained in classical dance and music for five years during her teens.
- In 1991, Rai won a supermodel contest (organized by Ford) and was eventually featured in the American edition of Vogue.
- She also won the “Miss Photogenic” award and Miss World Continental Queen of Beauty Asia and Oceania.
- As of 2003, she was the second Indian actress to grace the covers of the Time magazine.
- In 2003, she appeared in Rolling Stone’ annual ‘Hot List’.
- She was ranked $3 on “Aisia’s sexiest Women” by Uk Magazine Eastern Eye in 2006.
- Rai is the second most popular watch brand ambassador all over the world, according to a survey conducted by World Watch Report.
- Aishwarya Rai was called out on a dinner date by Miss World Contest host Richard Steinmetz when she won the beauty pageant in 1994, but she politely denied.
- She was approached to host 77th Annual Academy Awards, but she refused as she was busy shooting for her film, The Mistress of Spices that time.
- Different Tulips at the Keukenhof Gardens in the Netherlands have been named after her name.
- She took a hiatus form acting in 2010 due to her pregnancy and made a comeback with Sanjay Gupta’s drama-thriller Jazbaa, co-starring Shabana Azmi and Irrfan Khan in 2015.
- Rai has pledged to donate her eye to the Eye Bank Association of India after her death.
- Aishwarya Rai Bachchan is scared of cockroaches.
- She has appeared in many English language films like The Pink Panther 2 (2009), The Last Legion (2007), Provoked (2007), Mistress of Spices (2005) and Bride & Prejudice (2004).
- She is a supported of PETA (People for Ethical Treatment of Animals) India and is the spokesperson for UN Microcredit.
- She will donate her eyes to Eye Bank Association of India after death.