Woody Harrelson is an American actor and playwright. Woody first became known for his role as bartender Woody Boyd on the NBC sitcom Cheers for which he won a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series from a total of five nominations. He has received three Academy Award nominations: Best Actor for The People vs. Larry Flynt and Best Supporting Actor for The Messenger and Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri.
Woodrow Tracy Harrelson
Actor, Activist, Film Director, Playwright
Birthday / Date of Birth
Woody Harrelson was born on the 23rd of July 1961, in Midland, Texas, United States.
He’s currently 61 years old.
His ancestry includes English, Scottish, German and distant Dutch and Welsh.
Woody attended Lebanon High School from which he graduated in 1979. Later, he attended Hanover College in Hanover, Indiana, where he joined the Sigma Chi fraternity. He received a Bachelor of Arts in theater and English in 1983. Harrelson was awarded an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters (DHL) from Hanover College in 2014.
- Father – Charles Harrelson (Hitman)
- Mother – Diane Lou Oswald
- Siblings – Brett Harrelson (Younger Brother) (Actor), Jordan Harrelson (Brother)
- Relatives – Voyde Harrelson (Grandfather), Alma Harrelson (Grandmother)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Woody Harrelson has dated –
- Nancy Simon (1985) – In 1985, Woody and renowned playwright Neil Simon’s daughter Nancy Simon tied the knot in Tijuana. They separated after just ten months of being married.
- Laura Louie (1987-Present) – In 1987, Woody first met Laura on the sets of Cheers and they started dating. In 28 December 2008, they got married. The couple has three daughters named Deni (born. 1993), Zoe (born. 1996) and Makani (born. 2006).
- In feet – 5 feet 9½ inches
- In centimeters – 177 cm
- In meters – 1.77 m
- In Kilograms – 80 kg
- In Pounds – 177 lbs
- Measurements – 38-15-33
- Chest – 38 in or 97 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 14 in or 37 cm
- Waist – 33 in or 84 cm
His shoe size is 11.5 (US).
Woody is widely known for his role as bartender Woody Boyd on the NBC sitcom Cheers for which he won a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series from a total of five nominations.
Harrelson is also known to play the character of basketball hustler Billy Hoyle in White Men Can’t Jump, one-handed bowler Roy Munson in Kingpin, Haymitch Abernathy in The Hunger Games film series and Tallahassee in Zombieland.
In 1986, Woody made his first movie, Wildcats a football comedy in which he portrayed the role of Krushinski.
In 1985, Woody first television show was NBC sitcom Cheers in which he played the role as Woody Boyd in 200 episodes.
Woody Harrelson Net worth
Woody Harrelson has an estimated net worth of $65 million dollars as of 2023.
Social Media Profiles
- Facebook – Woody Harrelson
- Instagram – woodyharrelson
- Twitter – Woody Harrelson
Some Lesser Known Facts About Woody Harrelson
- Woody is a musician too who moonlighted in Manly Moondog and the Three Kool Hats bands as the lead singer.
- Woody was among the 50 Most Beautiful People list of People Magazine in the past.
- Woody has played twice in the charity football tournaments titled Soccer Aid that Robbie Williams and Jonathan Wilkes had founded.
- He is a board of director of the art school Ex’pression Center For New Media, Emeryville, California.
- He is good friends with the Red Hot Chili Peppers band members and also Owen Wilson, Michael J. Fox and Wesley Snipes.
- Woody co-owns the boutique organic hotel Inn at the Black Olive in Baltimore, Maryland.
- In 1982, Harrelson was arrested for disorderly conduct in Columbus, Ohio after he was found dancing in the middle of the street.
- In 1993, Woody starred opposite Robert Redford and Demi Moore in the drama Indecent Proposal which was a box office success, earning a worldwide total of over $265,000,000
- In 1996, Woody starred in the comedy, Kingpin for the Farrelly brothers.
- In 1998, Woody starred in the thriller Palmetto and played Sergeant Keck in The Thin Red Line a war film nominated for seven Academy Awards.
- In 2005, he appeared as Kelly Ryan, husband of a contest-obsessed woman in the film, The Prize Winner of Defiance, Ohio.
- In 2007 he played Carter Page III, gay escort of privileged Washington D.C. women in the film, The Walker.
- In 2008, Harrelson appeared in several films, among them the Will Ferrell basketball comedy Semi-Pro and the stark Will Smith drama Seven Pounds as a blind vegan meat salesman named Ezra Turner.
- In 2009, Woody received significant praise for his performance as Captain Tony Stone in The Messenger.
- In 2010, he starred as a bartender and mentor in the futuristic western martial arts film, Bunraku.
- In June 2010, Harrelson took part in Soccer Aid at Old Trafford in Manchester to raise money for UNICEF.
- In 2012, he had a leading role in Game Change as republican strategist Steve Schmidt.
- In 2015, Woody Harrelson and daughter Zoe starred in a 7-minute short film for U2’s Song for Someone.
- In 2016, Woody announced that he would direct, write, produce and star in a film, Lost in London.
- In 2017, he played the antagonist The Colonel in the science fiction film, War for the Planet of the Apes.
- In 2018, Woody starred opposite Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover and Emilia Clarke in Lucasfilm’s Solo: A Star Wars Story playing Han Solo’s mentor and a criminal.
- In 2018, Woody appears in a cameo at the end of the film, Venom portraying Cletus Kasady.
- In November 2019, Woody starred in Roland Emmerich’s blockbuster movie, Midway, playing Admiral Chester Nimitz.