Tina Turner is an internationally recognized singer, songwriter and actress. She is originally from the United States and has been a Swiss citizen since 2013. Turner rose to prominence with Ike Turner’s Kings of Rhythm before recording hit singles both with Ike and as a solo performer. One of the best selling recording artists of all time, she has been referred to as The Queen of Rock ‘n’ Roll and has sold more than 200 million records worldwide. Turner is noted for her energetic stage presence, powerful vocals, career longevity and trademark legs.
Anna Mae Bullock
Anna Mae Turner, Tina Turner, Tina Turner Bach, The Burner, The Queen of Rock and Roll
Singer, Songwriter, Dancer, Actress, Musician Producer, Choreographer
R&B, Pop, Soul, Dance, Rock & Roll, Rock
United Artists, Capitol, Virgin, Parlophone
Birthday / Date of Birth
Tina Turner was born on the 26th of November 1939, in Nutbush, Tennessee, United States.
She’s currently 79 years old.
Küsnacht, Zürich, Switzerland
Tina Turner was raised as a Baptist, but she later converted to Buddhism.
Tina Turner attended Flagg Grove Elementary School in Nutbush from first to eighth standard. In 1958, she graduated from Sumner High School in St. Louis, Missouri. After her graduation, Tina worked as a nurse’s aide at Barnes-Jewish Hospital.
- Father – Floyd Richard Bullock (Sharecropper in Poindexter farm)
- Mother – Zelma Priscilla (nee Currie) (Homemaker)
- Siblings – Ruby Aillene (Older Sister)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Tina Turner has dated –
- Raymond Hill (1957-1958) – Tina Turner had a relationship with Raymond Hill and has a son, named Raymond Craig with him though the couple did not marry.
- Ike Turner (1958-1978) – Tina Turner went through a tumultuous relationship with her late husband Ike Turner. The duo is famous for their hit songs like Proud Mary and River Deep-Mountain High. The singer has reportedly accused her late ex-husband Ike Turner of abusing her, which led to divorce eventually. It is speculated that the outrageous dressing that the singer did on-stage during her performances was the result of her husband’s choice. Tina Turner retained her stage name even after the divorce. Ronald Turner (born – 1960) is her only son with husband Ike Turner. Ike Jr. (born – 1958) and Michael Turner (born – 1959) are her stepsons from Ike Turner with his former wife.
- David Bowie (1984) – The singer, actor and songwriter David Robert Jones, commonly known as David Bowie dated Tina Turner in the past.
- Mick Jagger (1985) – Tina Turner claims to have dated American singer, songwriter and film producer Mick Jagger from The Rolling Stones after Live Aid in 1985.
- Erwin Bach (June 1985-Present) – Tina Turner and Erwin Bach remained together for a long time and finally got married on July 4, 2013. Erwin Bach is a German music executive who met Tina at a record label party in London.
- In feet – 5 feet 4 inches
- In centimeters – 163 cm
- In meters – 1.63 m
- In Kilograms – 58 kg
- In Pounds – 129 lbs
- Measurements – 36-29-38
- Bust – 36 inches
- Waist – 29 inches
- Hip – 38 inches
- Bra Size – 34B
She wears a size 7.5 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 10 (US).
Tina Turner is best known for her duos with Ike Turner like A Fool in Love, River Deep – Mountain High, Proud Mary and Nutbush City Limits.
In 1970, Tina Turner first appeared in a documentary film Gimme Shelter, where she performed as herself.
In 1974, Tina Turner’s first album Tina Turns the Country On! was released under the label United Artists in which she performed solo.
In 1966, Tina Turner first appeared on TV in The Big T.N.T Show, a documentary in which she featured as herself.
She has worked for brands like Plymouth Automobiles (1989), Pepsi-Cola (1989), Rugby League (Late 80’s/ Early 90’s).
Tina Turner Favorites
- Favorite Perfume – V’E Versace, Hermes Amazone, Eau Du Sud
- Favorite Beverage – Coffee and Champagne
- Favorite Film – Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981)
- Favorite Food – Fried Chicken
- Favorite Color – Red
- Favorite Shoe – Pumps and Boots
- Favorite TV Show – Gossip Girl
Tina Turner Net worth
Tina Turner has a estimated net worth of $250 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
- Facebook – Tina Turner
- Instagram – tinaturner
- Twitter – Tina Turner
- YouTube Channel – Tina Turner Official
Some Lesser Known Facts About Tina Turner
- Turner’s childhood became chaotic when her mother ran away because of her abusive father. She was only 13 when he remarried and abandoned her and her sister. She went to live with her grandmother and worked as a domestic worker.
- Tina Turner had joined the cheerleading squad and the female basketball team in Carver High School during her stay with her grandmother in Brownsville.
- She has been credited as the most successful female rock artist in the history of music.
- She has won eight Grammy Awards for her soulful songs.
- Tina holds a record sale of more than 60 million concert tickets, which is more than any female artist in history.
- She rebuilt her career after leaving her husband through live performances.
- Angela Bassett portrayed her in What’s Love Got to Do With It, a biographical film based on the autobiography of the singer.
- She has shifted her home to Château Algonquin in Küsnachtsince 1994 and presently resides there.
- In 1974, Turner released her first solo album Tina Turns the Country On! with the help of Bolic Sound Studios. The album was critically acclaimed and fetched her Grammy nomination for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance.
- In 1974, Tina played the role of TheAcid Queen in the London based musical Tommy. Her performance made her famous in the UK and in the following year she released her second solo album The Acid Queen.
- In 1978, her third album Rough was released under the same record label. It was followed by Love Explosion, unfortunately both the albums failed to impress her fans and she decided not to renew her contract with the company.
- In the PBS Documentary African American Lives 2 hosted by Henry Louis Gates, it was confirmed that Tina has 1% native American ancestry.
- In 1983, after signing with the Capitol Records, Turner released Let’s Stay Together. The single was a huge hit in Europe and America, putting her first solo single to chart. She signed a three album deal with the record.
- In November 1983, Turner released her cover of Al Green’s Let’s Stay Together with Capitol Records.
- In 1984, she released Private Dancer, which is considered to be her comeback album, selling about 20 million copies worldwide. The hit single from the album What’s Love Got to Do With It earned her a Grammy Award.
- In 1986, she released another hit album ‘Break Every Rule’, which ended up selling four million copies worldwide. In the same year she published her autobiography ‘I, Tina’ and received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
- In 1991, Turned signed the rights for the production of the movie ‘What’s Love Got to Do with It’, based on her and Ike’s relationship. She also helped the female protagonist with her costumes and taught her dance moves.
- In December 2005, Turner was recognized by the Kennedy Center Honors at the John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts in Washington, D.C. and was elected to join an elite group of entertainers.
- In 2008 she performed with Beyonce at the Grammy Awards and won a Grammy as a featured artist on River: The Joni Letters. In the same year, she embarked on her first tour in ten years, Tina!: 50th Anniversary Tour.
- In 2013, three weeks after her wedding to Erwin Bach, she suffered a stroke and had to learn to walk again.
- In 2016, she was diagnosed with intestinal cancer. Turner opted for homeopathic remedies to treat her high blood pressure that resulted in damage to her kidneys and eventual kidney failure.
- In January 2018, it was announced that Turner would receive the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award.
- In October 2018, it was announced that the biographical musical Tina would open on Broadway in the fall of 2019.