Tilda Swinton is a British actress. She is known for her roles in both independent arthouse films and blockbusters. Tilda won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her performance in the film Michael Clayton. She began her career in experimental films, directed by Derek Jarman, starting with Caravaggio, followed by The Last of England, War Requiem and The Garden. She won the Volpi Cup for Best Actress at the Venice Film Festival for her portrayal of Isabella of France in Edward II. In 2013, Swinton was given a special tribute by the Museum of Modern Art.
Katherine Matilda Swinton
Birthday / Date of Birth
Tilda Swinton was born on the 5th of November 1960, in London, England, UK.
She is currently 62 years old.
Nairn, Highland, Scotland
She has Scottish, English and Northern Irish ancestry.
Swinton attended three independent schools: Queen’s Gate School in London, the West Heath Girls’ School and also Fettes College for a brief period. Swinton went to volunteer in Kenya during a break from college with an educational gap year charity called Project Trust. In 1983, Swinton graduated from New Hall (now known as Murray Edwards College) at the University of Cambridge with a degree in Social and Political Sciences.
- Father – Maj John Swinton (Retired Major General in the British Army and was also Lord Lieutenant of Berwickshire from 1989-2000)
- Mother – Judith Balfour Killen
- Siblings – James Christopher Swinton (Brother) (Video Producer), Alexander Harold Swinton (Brother) (Stockbroker), Maj William Henry Cospatrick Swinton (Brother) (Commissioned Scots Guards)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Tilda Swinton has dated –
- John Byrne (1995-2003) – In 1995, Tilda started dating British-born American artist and comic-book writer, John Byrne. The couple had twins namely, Xavier and Honor Swinton Byrne (b. October 6, 1997). The couple split in 2003 after remaining together for 8 years.
- Sandro Kopp (2004-Present) – In 2004, Tilda commenced dating German-New Zealand painter / artist Sandro Kopp and the couple is still head over heels for each other. The duo began dating when Tilda was 43 years old and Sandro was just 25.
- In feet – 5 feet 10 inches
- In centimeters – 178 cm
- In meters – 1.78 m
- In Kilograms – 57 kg
- In Pounds – 126 lbs
- Measurements – 34-26-35
- Bust – 34 inches
- Waist – 26 inches
- Hip – 35 inches
- Bra Size – 32D
Tilda is a natural redhead (Red colored hair)
She wears a size 9.5 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 5 (US).
Swinton was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for her performance in The Deep End (2001). She followed this with appearances in Vanilla Sky (2001), Adaptation (2002), Constantine (2005), Julia (2008) and I Am Love (2009). She won the European Film Award for Best Actress and received a nomination for the BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Leading Role for the psychological thriller We Need to Talk About Kevin (2011). She is also known for her performance as the White Witch in The Chronicles of Narnia series (2005–2010) and the Ancient One in the Marvel Cinematic Universe franchise.
In 1986, Tilda played the role of Sally in her debut film Egomania – Insel ohne Hoffnung.
In 1986, Swinton made her debut TV appearance in miniseries Zastrozzi: A Romance where she played Julia.
Tilda has served as the brand ambassador for NARS and was the face of their Spring / Summer 2015 collection. She has also appeared in print ads for Victoria jewelry.
Tilda Swinton Net worth
Tilda Swinton has an estimated net worth of $14 million dollars as of 2023.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Tilda Swinton
- Swinton is the descendant of the Saxon origin from the kingdom of Northumberland. Her parental ancestry which is Anglo-Scot can be traced back to thousands of years, to the middle ages.
- Tilda joined the Royal Shakespeare Company in 1984 and appeared in the play Measure for Measure.
- Her first work in cinema was in the 1986 drama film Caravaggio directed by Derek Jarman.
- She is widely known for her androgynous appearance as people widely confuse her to a male because of her tall frame and lack of lipstick.
- In 1988, she was a member of the jury at the 38th Berlin International Film Festival.
- In 1993, she was a member of the jury at the 18th Moscow International Film Festival.
- In 1996, she appeared in the music video for Orbital’s The Box.
- In 2000, she was seen in the Canadian film Possible Worlds which was adapted from a play of the same name. She was next seen alongside Leonardo DiCaprio in the drama thriller film The Beach.
- Tilda had joined the Communist Party and later the Scottish Socialist Party when she was studying at the University of Cambridge.
- She starred with Tom Cruise in the 2001 sci-fi psychological thriller Vanilla Sky. It was a commercial success and reviews were mostly mixed.
- In 2007, Swinton’s performance as Karen Crowder in Michael Clayton earned her both a BAFTA award for Best Supporting Actress as well as the Oscar for Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role at the 2008 80th Academy Awards, the film’s sole win.
- In 2008, she was seen in the lead role in the crime drama film Julia. She next played a supporting role in The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, which was a commercial success and was met with mostly positive reviews.
- In July 2008, she founded the film festival Ballerina Ballroom Cinema of Dreams. The event took place in a ballroom in Nairn on Scotland’s Moray Firth in August.
- In 2012, Swinton appeared in Doug Aitken’s SONG 1, an outdoor video installation created for the Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden in Washington D.C.
- In 2013, she was named as one of the fifty best-dressed over 50 by The Guardian and often appears on International Best Dressed Lists.
- In February 2013, Tilda played the part of David Bowie’s wife in the promotional video for his song, The Stars (Are Out Tonight), directed by Floria Sigismondi.
- In July 2013, Swinton appeared photographed in front of Moscow’s St. Basil’s Cathedral holding a rainbow flag in support of the country’s LGBT community, reportedly releasing a statement: In solidarity. From Russia with love.
- In 2015, Tilda starred in Luca Guadagnino’s thriller A Bigger Splash, opposite Dakota Johnson, Matthias Schoenaerts and Ralph Fiennes.
- In 2016, she appeared in the superhero film Doctor Strange, playing The Ancient One, the mentor of the titular character.
- Tilda was ranked one of the best dressed women in 2018 by fashion website Net-a-Porter.