Sundar Pichai is an Indian American business executive. Pichai is the chief executive officer (CEO) of Google Inc. Formerly the Product Chief of Google, Pichai’s current role was announced on August 10, 2015, as part of the restructuring process that made Alphabet Inc. into Google’s parent company and he assumed the position on October 2, 2015.
Sundar Pichai, Rajesh
Business Executive, CEO of Google
He holds dual citizenship of Indian and American.
Birthday / Date of Birth
Sundar Pichai was born on 12 July 1972, in Madurai, Tamil Nadu, India.
He is currently 46 years old.
Los Altos Hills, Santa Clara County, California, United States
He’s of Tamil ancestry.
Till 10th grade, Sundar studied in Jawahar Vidyalaya in Ashok Nagar, Chennai. He completed his remaining senior secondary education from Vana Vani School situated on the campus of Indian Institute of Technology Madras also in Chennai, Tamil Nadu. He earned his Bachelor’s degree in Metallurgical Engineering from Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, West Bengal, India. On the basis of his academic credentials and a professor’s recommendation, Sundar gained a scholarship to study Masters in Science in Material Sciences and Engineering from Stanford University in California, USA. For a brief while, he was hired to work as a product manager and an engineer at Applied Materials, a Silicon Valley-based company. Thereafter, he achieved an MBA from the Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania. Being a talented student who graduated in the top 5% of his class, Sundar was named a Siebel Scholar and a Palmer Scholar.
- Father – Regunatha Pichai
- Mother – Lakshmi
- Siblings – He has one younger brother.
Girlfriend / Spouse
Sundar Pichai dated –
- Anjali Pichai – Pichai is married to Anjali Pichai and has two children – son Kiran and daughter Kavya. He first met his wife while pursuing his engineering at IIT Kharagpur, where she studied chemical engineering. She was from Rajasthan, India. After that, he moved to the US for his masters while she worked as a business executive for Accenture. During that time, they barely talked with each other. After three years, she managed to get a job there and moved to USA and they later married.
- In feet – 5 feet 10 inches
- In centimeters – 178 cm
- In meters – 1.78 m
- In Kilograms – 68 kg
- In Pounds – 150 lbs
After graduation, Pichai worked as a Management Consultant for Mckinsey & Company and joined Google in 2004. There he was largely responsible for product management and development of several business suites and client software like Google Chrome, Chrome OS, Gmail, Google Maps and Google Drive. He launched Chrome OS in 2011 and went on for public use in 2012. Besides overseeing many Google Products, Sundar Pichai became the head of Android the following year, which was formerly overseen by Any Rubin, co-founder of Android. He served various positions there, including the director of Jive Software before he was chosen as the next CEO of Google on 10th August 2015. The move came as a major aspect of a rebuilding procedure which made Alphabet Inc. the parent organization of Google. He was appointed as the new CEO of Google in October 2015, and he is serving as the CEO of the company since then.
Being the former Product Chief turned Chief Executive Officer of Google which is now a subsidiary of a much larger company called Alphabet led by Larry Page. Sundar was behind the launch of Google Chrome in 2008. As a Product Chief, he was behind major decisions related to the development of popular software products such as Chrome OS, Google Drive, Gmail, Google Maps, Apps and Android among others.
He hasn’t acted in any film.
Pichai has appeared in quite a few documentaries, including Click (2014), The Android King: Sundar Pichai (2015) as well as hosted the Breakthrough Prize Ceremony in 2015. In India, he made his appearance on Star India, where he was interviewed by Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan on Ted Talks India: Nayi Soch, Episode 4 through Beam Pro Telepresence technology.
Sundar Pichai Favorites
- Favorite Food – Curd Rice
- Favorite Sport – Cricket, Soccer
- Favorite Cricketer – Sunil Gavaskar, Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli
- Favorite Soccer Player – Lionel Messi
- Favorite Sports Team – FC Barcelona (Soccer), Golden State Warriors (Basketball)
- Favorite Bollywood Actress – Deepika Padukone
- Favorite TV Show – Game of Thrones
- Favorite Movie – Star Trek Franchise
- Favorite Role Model – N.R. Narayana Murthy (Infosys co-founder)
Sundar Pichai Net worth
Sundar Pichai has a net worth of $1.4 billion as of 2019 that has seen a stupendous rise after he was appointed as the CEO of Google. He’s well paid for hos work and his compensation includes three components salary, bonus and stocks. In 2015, he made roughly $100 million as compensation with his basic salary $652,500, bonus $23,000 and restricted stocks of $99 million. In 2016, Pichai received roughly $183 million in company stock, which according to Bloomberg is the highest pay package that Google has ever given to an executive whose equity grants have been reported in filings. His compensation is over $200 million. He lives in a lavish 5-bedroom house that boasts all dazzling features including a tennis court, and a miniature football field for his son, located in Los Altos Hills, California. He bought this property roughly for $3 million. Besides, he also owns multiple properties in the US and India.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sundar Pichai
- During childhood, he aspired to become a cricketer as he is a huge fan of the sport.
- His family wasn’t wealthy, and the boys slept together in the living room of their two-room apartment.
- Growing up, he didn’t have a television or telephone. His parents got a rotary telephone when he was 12 years old. In fact, he is very good in memorizing phone numbers that he had ever dialed on their rotary phone.
- As a teenager, he got interested in technology and the first software program he wrote was a chess game.
- When he got to America, he couldn’t believe how expensive everything was a backpack for $60!
- He had his interview at the Googleplex on April 1, 2004, the same day they launched Gmail. He thought that the free email service was one of Google’s infamous pranks.
- He first worked on Google Search Bar. In 2006, when Microsoft made Bing as browser’s default search engine, Google search bar got a big blow that made Pichai to convince computer manufactures to reinstall the Google toolbar to retain Google’s popularity with its users.
- He came up with an idea of building a dedicated browser for Google which persuaded Larry Page and Sergey Brin to accommodate the idea. Google Chrome is one of the most used browsers out there with more than 45% market share.
- One Googler on Quora wrote, “He is literally worshipped inside Google. Engineers love him. Product Managers love him. Business people love him.”
- In December 2017, Pichai was a speaker at the World Internet Conference in China, where he stated that “a lot of work Google does is to help Chinese companies. There are many small and medium-sized businesses in China who take advantage of Google to get their products to many other countries outside of China.”
- One of Sundar’s childhood aspirations was to become a cricketer.
- His family was not very affluent. He slept in the living room with his younger brother in a two-room apartment.
- Sundar’s home had no television during his childhood. When he was 12, his family got a rotary telephone for the first time. After a few years, they got a refrigerator and his mother did not have to cook every day. The life-changing convenience of technology is what got him interested in this field.
- As a teenager, he developed the unique talent of memorizing every phone number he ever dialed on his rotary telephone and became a walking phone book for all his relatives.
- He wrote his first software program to create a chess game.
- Although he earned a complete scholarship to Stanford, his father had to withdraw $1000 from his savings which was more than his annual salary to cover the cost of Sundar’s plane tickets and other expenses to make it to USA.
- He took up a job as a management consultant in Mckinsey & Company in 2002 before he joined Google in 2004.
- Sundar’s job interview at Google was on April 1, 2004, which was also the day, they launched Gmail. He presumed the email service was just another April fool’s prank by the company.
- In 2006, Microsoft made Bing the default search engine on Internet Explorer instead of Google. Sundar reached out to computer manufacturers and convinced them to preinstall the Google toolbar to retain Google’s popularity with its users.
- He also persuaded Google founders, Larry Page and Sergey Brin, to create their own browser which led to the formation of Google Chrome which is now the most used Internet browser.
- In 2011, Sundar was considered for the role of Vice President Product at Twitter and in 2014, he was rumored to be in the middle of negotiations to become Microsoft’s third CEO. However, he turned down both the offers.
- Sundar is responsible for the integration of Android to Google applications when he took over Andy Rubin’s role in 2013.
- He believes small companies can achieve a lot more than large companies and hence, likes to form small teams assigned with specific goals to maintain nimble productivity in the company.
- Google+ is the only social media platform where Sundar Pichai posts regularly.