William Henry Gates III
Business Magnate, Investor, Author, Philanthropist, Humanitarian, Co-founder of the Microsoft Corporation
Birthday / Date of Birth
Bill Gates was born on October 28, 1955, in Seattle, Washington, United States.
He is currently 63 years old.
Medina, Washington, United States
Bill has English, German, Scottish and Scots-Irish ancestry.
Bill Gates, at age 13, enrolled at the Lakeside School, where he learnt the computer programming, BASIC and wrote his first program, tic-tac-toe on the GE system. He graduated from the school in 1973 with National Merit Scholar and scored 1590 out of 1600 on SAT. He then attended the Harvard college in 1973, and chose a pre-law major but took mathematics and graduate level computer science courses. The following year he dropped out of the Harvard to purse his business endeavors.
- Father – William H. Gates Sr. (Lawyer)
- Mother – Mary Maxwell Gates (One of board of directors for First Interstate BancSystem)
- Siblings – Kristianne Gates (Older Sister), Libby Gates (Younger Sister)
- Others – William Henry Gates I (Paternal Grandfather), Lillian Elizabeth Rice (Paternal Grandmother), James Willard Maxwell (Maternal Grandfather) (Ex-National Bank President), Adele Thompson (Maternal Grandmother)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Bill Gates has dated –
- Melinda French (1987-Present) – Melinda worked as a product manager in Microsoft. They first met at a sales meeting in New York. The couple dated for a long duration of 7 years before finally tying the knot on January 1, 1994, in Lanai, Hawaii on a golf course. The couple has 3 children Jennifer Katharine (b. 1996), Rory John (b. 1999) and Phoebe Adele (b. 2002).
- In feet – 5 feet 9 inches
- In centimeters – 175 cm
- In meters – 1.75 m
- In Kilograms – 64 kg
- In Pounds – 141 lbs
His body statistics are unknown.
Being the co-founder of the software giant, Microsoft Corporation which he launched in 1975 along with co-founder Paul Allen. Being included in the Forbes list of the world’s wealthiest people since 1987. His philanthropic work and his generosity. He co-founded a charitable organization called Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in 2000.
Bill hasn’t made his theatrical film debut yet.
In 1989, Bill made his first television show appearance on the talk show Today.
- In 2002, Bill and Melinda Gates received the Jefferson Award for Greatest Public Service Benefiting the Disadvantaged.
- Gates received the Bower Award for Business Leadership from The Franklin Institute in 2010 in recognition of his achievements at Microsoft and his philanthropic work.
- Bill and Melinda Gates jointly received India’s third highest civilian honor Padma Bhushan in 2015 for their foundation’s philanthropic activities in India.
- Bill Gates and his wife Melinda Gates together created the charitable Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, which is identified as the world’s wealthiest charitable foundation. It’s value is estimated to be $34.6 billion, which aims to enhance healthcare and reduce extreme poverty worldwide.
- The Gates’ were recognized as the econd-most generous philanthropists in America, having given over $28 billion to charity and the couple plan to eventually donate 95 percent of their wealth to charity.
- In 1999, Gates donated $20 million to the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) for the construction of a computer laboratory named the “William H. Gates Building” that was designed by architect Frank Gehry.
- In 2009, Gates and Warren Buffett founded The Giving Pledge, whereby they and other billionaires pledge to give at least half of their wealth to philanthropy.
- In 2010, Gates, Warren Buffett and Mark Zuckerberg singed “Gates-Buffet giving Pledge” committing to donate at least half of their wealth over the course of time to charity.
Bill Gates has appeared in a commercial for Microsoft.
Bill Gates is a huge fan of Porsche cars, and has a 1999 Porsche 911 convertible, 1988 Porsche 959 Coupe, and a Porsche 930 Turbo. One of the richest techie in the world, Bill Gates owns a couple of two private jets, Bombardier BD-700 and Global Express
Boeing Business Jet.
The world’s billionaire Bill Gates lives in an ultra-modern house, named Xanadu 2.0. This unbelievable house is spread over 66,000 square feet featuring seven bedrooms, 24 bathrooms including 10 full baths, six kitchens and equal number of fire places. As a techie, the house is equipped with the state of the art technologies and everything inside the house is automated.
Bill Gates Favorites
- Favorite Books – ‘The Gene: An Intimate History’ by Siddhartha Mukherjee, ‘A Full Life’ by Jimmy Carter, ‘Seveneves’ by Neal Stephenson, ‘Making the Modern World: Materials and Dematerialization’ by Vaclav Smil
- Favorite Food – Thai and Indian cuisine
- Favorite Pets – Dogs (Oreo and Nilaa)
- Favorite Passion – Philanthropy, Energy, Education, Health, Global Development
- Favorite Hobbies – Reading, Playing Tennis, Golf
- Microsoft Project – Windows, Office
- Favorite Fast Food Outlet – In-N-Out, Burgermaster
- Favorite Spread – Butter, Peanut Butter, Cheese Spread
- Favorite Baseball Team – Seahawks
- Favorite Chef – Nathan Myhrvold
- Favorite Cuisines – Thai, Indian
- Favorite Snack – Cheeseburger
Bill Gates Net worth
Bill Gates is acclaimed the wealthiest person on the planet, with a unimaginable net worth of $103 Billion dollars as of 2019. Like other billionaires, he is an avid collector of paintings, who has spent millions of dollars to decor his house with world’s costliest and rarest pieces of art.
Social Media Portfolio
Some Lesser Known Facts About Bill Gates
- Gates is currently the richest person in the world and in the last two decades, he spent much of his life as the wealthiest businessman on the planet, though he had sometimes gained #2.
- Gates, at his eight grade in the Lakeside School, wrote his first computer program on a General Electric computer in BASIC. It was a tic-tac-toe game.
- Gates scored 1590 out of 1600 on his SATs at the school and enrolled to Haravard in 1973 where he met Steve Balmer.
- He dropped out of Harvard University in 1975 to pursue his own company ‘Microsoft’ alongside Paul Allen.
- He was arrested for driving without license and ran a red light.
- Gates has said that his children will inherit only $10 million each, despite having immense wealth. “Leaving kids massive amounts of money is not a favor to them,” he says.
- With juts a faction of his wealth left for his family, about 99.9% of his wealth will go for charity.
- Gates says that he reads 50 books a year. Gates says that reading is still the main way that I both learn new things and test my understanding.
- Gates doesn’t know any foreign languages. That, he says, is his biggest regret in life thus far.
- Bill Gates earns $250 every second, which implies $20 million daily and $7.8 billion annually.
- If Bill Gates were a country, he would be the 37th richest nation in the world.
- He traveled in economy class till he bought his private jet in 1997.
- He scored a near-perfect 1590 out of 1600 on his SATs.
- Bill also has somewhat of a wild boy streak. Gates was arrested in Mexico where he was caught driving without a license and ran a red light.
- His most significant fear is a child getting hurt or falling sick.
- He had initially thought of pursuing a career in law and mathematics as his father was a lawyer. He also had a keen interest in physics.
- Bill is not well versed in video games.
- He enjoys playing a game of bridge.
- He enjoys watching his daughter ride horses.
- Bill has two dogs named Oreo and Nilla.
- Bill’s biggest regret in the past had been not knowing any foreign languages.
- He adopted vegetarianism for a year in his early 20s.
- He is fond of eating at McDonald’s and loves Big Macs.
- He is an avid reader and reads at least 50 books a year.
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is the most extensive private charitable organization in the world.
- He became the youngest self-made billionaire at the age of 31.
- In March 2015, interview with Baidu’s CEO, Robin Li, Gates claimed he would highly recommend Nick Bostrom’s recent work, Superintelligence: Paths, Dangers, Strategies.
- In March 2018, Gates met at his home in Seattle with Mohammed bin Salman, the reformist crown prince and de facto ruler of Saudi Arabia to discuss investment opportunities for Saudi Vision 2030.
- Visit his website @gatesnotes.com.