Simona Halep is a Romanian professional tennis player. She has been ranked world No. 1 in singles on two separate occasions between 2017 & 2019. She reached the No. 1 ranking for the first time on 9 October 2017. On her second occasion, she held the ranking for 48 consecutive weeks. In total, she has been No. 1 for 64 weeks, which ranks tenth in the history of women’s tennis. Halep was the year end No. 1 in 2017 & 2018. She is currently ranked world No. 7 on the WTA Tour and has won 18 WTA singles titles.
Professional Tennis Player
Right-Handed (two-handed backhand)
Birthday / Date of Birth
Simona Halep was born on September 27, 1991, in Constanța, Romania.
She’s currently 27 years old.
She has Aromanian ancestry.
Halep received her initial education from Junior High School and started practicing tennis at the age of 4.
- Father – Stere Halep (Former Football Player)
- Mother – Tania Halep
- Siblings – Nicolae Halep (Older Brother), Luminita (Sister)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Simona Halep has dated –
- Horia Tecău – Simona Halep married Horia Tecău, a Romanian tennis player, in a private ceremony attended by close friends and family. The couple has a daughter.
- In feet – 5 feet 6 inches
- In centimeters – 168 cm
- In meters – 1.68 m
- In Kilograms – 60 kg
- In Pounds – 132 lbs
- Measurements – 37-26-35
- Bust – 37 inches
- Waist – 26 inches
- Hip – 35 inches
- Bra Size – 34B
She wears a size 8 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 5 (US).
She became world #2 tennis player in 2014.
Tennis Match Debut
She played her first professional tennis match in 2006.
Film & Television Debut
Simona didn’t appear in any of the films & television show.
Her endorsement deals with popular brands such as Vodafone, Nike, Lacoste, Adidas and Hublot. She is the brand ambassador for Mercedes-Benz Romania.
Simona Halep Favorites
- Favorite Place – Paris
- Favorite Tournament – Roland Garros (or French Open)
- Favorite Color – Blue
- Favorite Food – Milk Chocolate, Pizza
Simona Halep Net worth
Simona Halep has a estimated net worth of $15 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Simona Halep
- Her family also owns and runs a dairy products factory.
- At 4, she started playing tennis after seeing her older brother playing the sport.
- At 6, she was practicing tennis every day.
- When she was young, Simona idolized tennis players Justine Henin and Andrei Pavel.
- In 2008, at the age of 17, she started participating in junior competitions and entered the main draw as the ninth seed at the Roland Garros Junior Championships.
- During her teens, Simona Halep faced major discomfort while playing tennis, due to her heavy breasts. She underwent a breast reduction surgery in 2009 to ease the physical discomfort experienced during play and exercise.
- In 2009, she won $50,000 at a tournament in Makarska and attempted to qualify for a Grand Slam at the Roland Garros. The same year, she won a $25,000 ITF tournament in Maribor
- In May 2010, she qualified for her first-ever Grand Slam main draw, at the French Open, but was defeated.
- In August 2010, she qualified for the main draw of the US Open and lost there, too.
- In 2013, she was WTA’s Most Improved Player.
- In February 2014, she played at the Qatar Open to win six straight sets and the first-ever Premier 5 tournament. This made her feature on the list of the top five players, and she became the highest-ranked Romanian in the history of WTA.
- In 2015, she won her ninth WTA title at the Shenzhen Open and her tenth title at the hardcourt event in Dubai.
- In 2016, she reached the semifinals of the Sydney tournament. She lost her first match at the Fed Cup. However, despite the loss, she was chosen for Romania’s Fed Cup World Group Playoffs. She faced defeat later at the French Open and lost to Serena Williams at the US Open in 2016.
- In 2017, she won the title of WTA’s Fan Favorite Singles Player.
- In 2018, she won her first-ever WTA doubles title at the Shenzhen tournament, with partner Begu. She was defeated at the Australian Open but won the French Open title the same year.
- In 2018, she received the Cetățean de onoare, which made her an honorary citizen of the city of Bucharest.
- In December 2018, Simona Halep was featured on the list of ESPN’s 20 most dominant players of the year.
- In 2018, Halep let go her previous coaching staff and hired Thierry Van Cleemput as a new coach in February 2019.