Morgan Freeman is an American actor, film director and film narrator. Freeman won an Academy Award in 2005 for Best Supporting Actor with Million Dollar Baby and he has received Oscar nominations for his performances in Street Smart, Driving Miss Daisy, The Shawshank Redemption and Invictus. He has also won a Golden Globe Award and a Screen Actors Guild Award. He is ranked as the seventh-highest box office star since July, 2019. He has a combined total box office gross of $4.57 billion, with an average of $71.5 million per film.
Actor, Film Director, Film Narrator
Birthday / Date of Birth
Morgan Freeman was born on the 1st of June 1937, in Memphis, Tennessee, United States.
He’s currently 82 years old.
New York City, New York, United States
Morgan attended Broad Street High School, a building which serves today as Threadgill Elementary School, in Greenwood, Mississippi. At age 12, he won a statewide drama competition and while still at Broad Street High School, he performed in a radio show based in Nashville, Tennessee. In 1955, he graduated from Broad Street, but turned down a partial drama scholarship from Jackson State University, opting instead to enlist in the United States Air Force and served as an Automatic Tracking Radar Repairman, rising to the rank of Airman 1st Class. After four years in the military, he moved to Los Angeles, California, took acting lessons at the Pasadena Playhouse and dancing lessons in San Francisco in the early 1960s and worked as a transcript clerk at Los Angeles City College. In May 13, 2006, the Delta State University in Cleveland honored Morgan Freeman with an honorary degree of Doctor of Arts and Letters. In 2013, the actor was honored with the Doctor of Humane Letters honorary degree by the Boston University.
- Father – Morgan Porterfield Freeman (Barber) (Died due to cirrhosis on April 27, 1961)
- Mother – Mayme Edna (Teacher)
- Siblings – He has 3 older siblings.
- Relatives – Morgan Herbert Freeman (Paternal Grandfather)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Morgan Freeman dated –
- Jeanette Adair Bradshaw (1967-1979) – The actor married Jeanette Adair Bradshaw on October 22, 1967. The couple got divorced on November 18, 1979. They had two children together, daughters Morgana Freeman and Deena Freeman.
- Myrna Colley-Lee (1984-2010) – Morgan tied the knot with costume designer Myrna Colley-Lee on June 16, 1984 after meeting while working off-Broadway. They ended their marriage in December 2007 and the divorce proceedings began which were finalized on September 15, 2010 in Mississippi. The couple adopted and raised E’dena Hines. E’dena Hines was murdered in New York City on August 16, 2015, at the age of 33.
Note– From his early life, Freeman has two extramarital children; one of them is Alfonso Freeman.
- In feet – 6 feet 2 inches
- In centimeters – 188 cm
- In meters – 1.88 m
- In Kilograms – 97 kg
- In Pounds – 214 lbs
- Measurements – 46–15–39
- Chest – 46 in or 117 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 15 in or 38 cm
- Waist – 39 in or 99 cm
He wears a size 11.5 (US) shoe.
Morgan has been a part of many blockbusters including Street Smart (1987), Driving Miss Daisy (1989), The Shawshank Redemption (1994), Million Dollar Baby (2004) that earned him an Academy Award for the Best Supporting Actor in 2005 and Invictus (2009). He is ranked as the seventh-highest box office star since July, 2019.
In 1964, his acting debut in movies was in the drama film The Pawnbroker for his role as Man on Street.
In 1993, he made his debut as a director with Paramount Pictures’ Bopha!.
From 1971 to 1977, his first television show was The Electric Company in which he played various characters including Mel Mounds and Easy Reader.
He has done endorsement work for the following brands: Listerine Mouthwash (1973), McDonald’s (1974), Be A Mentor campaign of Save the Children (1999), Public Service Announcement for USA CORPS (2002), The University of Mississippi at Oxford, Mississippi, St. Judes Children Hospital (2005), Visa Credit Cards (2008) & RebuildingTogether.org (2012).
Morgan Freeman Favorite
- Favorite Actor – Gary Cooper
- Favorite Movies – King Kong (1933), High Noon (1952), Moulin Rouge (1952), The Outlaw Josey Wales (1976), Moby Dick (1956)
- Favorite Musician – Al Green
- Favorite TV Show – All in the Family (1971-1979)
- Favorite Book – The Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King
- Favorite Character – Bass Reeves
- Favorite Southern Dish – Collard Greens or Turnip Greens, Cornbread, Fried Chicken
Morgan Freeman Net worth
Morgan Freeman has an estimated net worth of $225 million dollars as of 2019. He is the proud owner of three private aircraft including Cessna Citation 501 jet, Cessna 414 twin-engine prop and Emivest SJ30. He has a certification to fly all of these aircraft.
Social Media Profiles
- Facebook – Morgan Freeman
- Instagram – morganfreeman
Some Lesser Known Facts About Morgan Freeman
- Morgan made his acting career in a school play at the age of nine. He pulled the chair from under a girl and was punished to join the drama class.
- Morgan rejected a partial drama scholarship from Jackson State University.
- At age 9, Freeman made his foray into the world of acting as he played the lead role in a school play.
- He won state level drama competition when he was 12 and also performed on the radio show in Nashville, Tennessee when he was still in his school.
- Morgan shifted base to Los Angeles, California after spending 4 years in the military.
- Morgan is good friends with country singer, Kenny Chesney.
- He is the owner of the blues club named Ground Zero in Clarksdale, Mississippi. He was also an owner of a fine dining restaurant called Madidi earlier.
- Morgan earned his private pilot license at the age of 65.
- Freeman made a monetary donation to the Mississippi Horse Park in Starkville.
- In 1994, Freeman was the member of Jury of 44th Berlin International Film Festival.
- In October 1997, Morgan was ranked No. 31 in The Top 100 Movie Stars of All Time list of Empire Magazine in the UK.
- In August 7, 2000, the actor was honored with the Hollywood Outstanding Achievement in Acting Award.
- In 2004, he founded the Grenada Relief Fund to help the victims of the Hurricane Ivan on Grenada island.
- In September 19, 2006, the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office gave him a trademark on his name.
- In July 2009, Freeman participated in Nelson Mandela’s birthday at the Radio City Music Hall as one of the presenters during the 46664 Concert.
- In 2011, Freeman was featured with John Lithgow in the Broadway debut of Dustin Lance Black’s play, 8, a staged reenactment of Perry v. Brown, the federal trial that overturned California’s Proposition 8 ban on same-sex marriage.
- In June 9, 2011, Morgan was awarded the 39th Lifetime Achievement Award by the American Film Institute.
- In 2013, Freeman appeared in the action-thriller Olympus Has Fallen, the science fiction drama Oblivion and the comedy Last Vegas.
- In November 12, 2014, the City of London bestowed upon him the honor of Freedom of the City.
- In 2015, Freeman directed The Show Must Go On, the season two premiere of Madam Secretary.
- In 2017, he hosted The Story of Us with Morgan Freeman.
- In August 2017, he was named the 54th recipient of the SAG Life Achievement award for career achievement and humanitarian accomplishment.
- In September 19, 2017, Freeman featured in a video by the Committee to Investigate Russia group.
- In April 2018, Freeman met with Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammad bin Salman.