Maria Sharapova is a Russian professional tennis player. A United States resident since 1994, Sharapova has competed on the WTA tour since 2001. She has been ranked world No. 1 in singles by the WTA on five separate occasions, for a total of 21 weeks. She is one of ten women and the only Russian to hold the career Grand Slam. She is also an Olympic medalist, having won silver in women’s singles at the 2012 Summer Olympics in London. Sharapova became the world No. 1 for the first time on August 22, 2005, at the age of 18, becoming the first Russian female tennis player to top the singles rankings and last held the ranking for the fifth time for four weeks from June 11, 2012 to July 8, 2012.
Maria Yuryevna Sharapova
Masha, The Siberian Siren, Sibirskaya Sirena
Professional Tennis Player
Right-Handed (Two-Handed Backhand)
April 19, 2001
Grand Slam Singles Wins
Sharapova won her singles Grand Slam titles for the first time in the years –
- Australian Open – 2008
- French Open – 2012
- Wimbledon – 2004
- US Open – 2006
Birthday / Date of Birth
Maria Sharapova was born on April 19, 1987 in Nyagan, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union.
She is currently 32 years old.
Bradenton, Florida, United States
Maria had focused on her tennis career from her childhood. She attended Martina Navratilova’s tennis clinic in Moscow. She was suggested by Martina to join Nick Bollettieri Tennis Academy in Florida to get better exposure.
- Father – Yuri Sharapova
- Mother – Elena Sharapova
- Siblings – Unknown
Boyfriend / Spouse
Maria Sharapova has dated –
- Adam Levine (2005) – American singer, Adam Levine dated Maria for a short time in 2005. He revealed about his dating in an interview given to a magazine, which was later revealed that the interview never happened and that Levine would sue the magazine for this whole gossip.
- Andy Roddick (2005-2006) – American tennis player, Andy Roddick and Sharapova dated for a year from 2005 to November 2006. They are the top tennis players. The duo has also appeared together on various red carpet occasions.
- Charlie Ebersol (2008) – Charlie Ebersol, co-creator of USA’s “The Moment” also dated Sharapova in 2008.
- Sasha Vujacic (2009-2012) – After separating from Charlie, Maria started dating Slovenian pro basketball player, Sasha Vujacic in November 2009. They engaged in October 2010, after a year of dating. However, this relationship also came to an end in 2012. They separated in May 2012, which was announced by Sharapova on August 31, 2012.
- Grigor Dimitrov (2012-2015) – Bulgarian tennis player, Grigor Dimitrov commenced dating Maria in October 2012. They dated for more than 2 years and called it quits in June 2015.
- In feet – 6 feet 2 inches
- In centimeters – 188 cm
- In meters – 1.88 m
- In Kilograms – 68 kg
- In Pounds – 150 lbs
- Measurements – 36-26-36
- Bust – 36 inches
- Waist – 26 inches
- Hip – 36 inches
- Bra Size – 32A
Her dress size is 4 (US).
She wears a size 11 (US) shoe.
Playing tennis and appearing in various commercials in print and television.
Maria began her professional Tennis career in 2001 and made her first WTA debut at the Pacific Life Open in 2002. She won her maiden WTA title at the Japan Open Tennis Championship. She was awarded the WTA Newcomer of the Year in 2003.
Maria hasn’t appeared in a movie yet.
Maria has been associated with numerous brands and products and worked with them in both TVC and Print Ads, including Evian mineral water, Sony Ericsson, Prince, Nike, Tiffany & Co., Colgate, Gatorade, Land Rover, Parlux, Tag Heuer, Tropicana, Canon, Porsche (signed a three year contract in 2013), Motorola, Gatorade, Tropicana, Head racquets, Sports Illustrated catalog, Cole Haan, Maria Sharapova fragrance and Samsung.
Maria Sharapova Favorites
- Favorite Designer – Vera Wang
- Favorite Vacation Destination – Le Marais, Paris
- Favorite Restaurant – Craft Los Angeles
- Favorite Shopping Place – Kitson in Robertson Boulevard, LA
- Favorite Food – Crepes with Nutella. She likes to eat Russian and Thai Food
Maria Sharapova Net worth
Maria Sharapova has an estimated net worth of $195 million dollars as of 2019. She bought a Range Rover SUV when she was 18 and also has a Prosche 911. Maria bought an exquisitely Longboat Key house in Southwest of Florida for $2.6 million, which includes four bedroom, 5 bathroom set up in two story Mediterranean style with a fireplace and a swimming pool. She also has a residence in Manhattan Beach, California.
Social Media Portfolio
- Facebook – Maria Sharapova
- Instagram – mariasharapova
- Twitter – Maria Sharapova
Some Lesser Known Facts About Maria Sharapova
- Her parents are from Gomel, Belarus. But, they left their country in 1986 (a couple of months before Maria was born) after a nuclear accident.
- Maria received her first racquet at the age of four (in 1991) from Aleksandr Kafelnikov, whose son turned pro in 1992 and later achieved the #1 singles men’s rankings in 1999. Aleksandr was Maria’s father’s friend.
- Maria graced the magazine cover of Esquire Mexico in May 2013, D Italy in August 2013. Apart from these, she has also appeared on the cover of the Russian edition of Tatler, Harper’s Bazaar and Glamour from 2011 to 2013.
- Maria has also achieved world ranking #1 in 2005 in singles, whereas in doubles, she could only reach till #41 in June 2004.
- She has a pet dog named, Dolce.
- In April 2005, People named her one of the 50 most beautiful celebrities in the world.
- In the year 2005 and 2008, Maria Sharapova was the most searched athlete in the internet.
- In 2006, She was named the Highest paid female athlete in the world of all sports with annual earnings of over $18 million US dollars by Forbes.
- In 2010, she launched her own apparel line “ Nike Maria Sharapova Collection”.
- In March 2012, Tennis Channel included her in the list of “100 Greatest of All Time”.
- She joined IMG models at the age of 8 (in 1995).
- She likes to shop vintage products like dresses, jewelry etc.
- She runs a charity called “The Maria Sharapova Foundation” dedicated to helping children achieve their dreams.
- Maria made her Olympic debut in 2012 with the London’s Summer Olympics 2012 and won the Silver medal there.
- In 2013, Maria Sharapova along with candy expert Jeff Rubin has launched “Sugarpova”- a premium candy line. A percentage of the income generated goes to the Maria Sharapova Foundation.
- In March 2016, She had failed a drug test at the 2016 Australian Open and admitted to testing positive for meldonium, a drug banned by World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA). She was apparently suspended for two years by ITF.
- She returned to the WTA Tour on April 26, 2017 at the Porsche Tennis Grand Prix.
- In 2018, she launched a new programme to mentor women entrepreneurs.
- Visit her official website @ mariasharapova.com.