Mahendra Singh Dhoni is an Indian international cricketer who captained the Indian national team in limited-overs formats from 2007 to 2016 and in Test cricket from 2008 to 2014. Under his captaincy, India won the 2007 ICC World Twenty20, the 2010 and 2016 Asia Cups, the 2011 ICC Cricket World Cup and the 2013 ICC Champions Trophy.
A right-handed middle-order batsman and wicket-keeper, Dhoni is one of the highest run scorers in One Day Internationals (ODIs) with more than 10,000 runs scored and is considered an effective finisher in limited-overs formats. He is also regarded by some as one of the best wicket-keepers and captain in modern limited-overs international cricket.
In 2012, SportsPro rated Dhoni as the sixteenth most marketable athlete in the world. Dhoni is the co-owner of Indian Super League team Chennaiyin FC. In June 2015, Forbes ranked Dhoni at 23rd in the list of highest paid athletes in the world estimating his earnings at US$31 million. In 2016, a biopic M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story was made about his life and cricketing career upto the Indian team’s win at the 2011 Cricket World Cup.
Mahendra Singh Dhoni
Mahi, MSD, MS, Captain Cool
Right-hand medium. He had also done bowling in the past. Dhoni had taken one ODI wicket, when he bowled Travis Dowlin from the West Indies on September 30, 2009.
Wicket-Keeper, India Captain
7 (all forms of cricket)
Birthday / Date of Birth
MS Dhoni was born on 7th of July 1981, in Ranchi, Bihar (now in Jharkhand), India.
He is currently 38 years old.
Dhoni attended DAV Jawahar Vidya Mandir (now the school is known as JVM, Shyamli, Ranchi) in Shyamali, Ranchi, Jharkhand. During his school days, he was good at badminton and football. He was a goalkeeper for his football team and his football coach asked him to play cricket for the local cricket clubs and eventually today, he is one of the most celebrated cricketers in the world.
- Father – Pan Singh (MECON employee; worked at Junior Management position)
- Mother – Devki Devi
- Siblings – Narendra Singh Dhoni (Older Brother), Jayanti Gupta (Older Sister)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Mahendra Singh Dhoni has dated –
- Sakshi Singh Rawat (2010-Present) – Dhoni married Sakshi Singh Rawat, his schoolmate in DAV Jawahar Vidya Mandir, Shyamali (native of Dehradun, Uttarakhand) on 4 July 2010. At the time of their marriage, she was studying hotel management and was working as a trainee at the Taj Bengal, Kolkata. After the retirement of Sakshi’s father from his tea growing business, their family shifted to their native place, Dehradun. The wedding took place one day after the couple got engaged. They together have a daughter named Ziva (born 6 February 2015).
- In feet – 5 feet 9 inches
- In centimeters – 175 cm
- In meters – 1.75 m
- In Kilograms – 75 kg
- In Pounds – 165 lbs
- Measurements – 42-14-32
- Chest – 42 in or 107 cm
- Biceps – 14 in or 36 cm
- Waist – 32 in or 81 cm
He wears a size 11.5 (US) shoe.
Playing cricket and staying at number 1 position in the ICC ODI Batsman rankings in 2009 continuously for many months.
Dhoni played his first One Day International on 23 December 2004 vs Bangladesh.
T20I Match Debut
Dhoni played his first T20 International match on 1 December 2006 vs South Africa.
Test Match Debut
Dhoni played his debut test match on 2 December 2005 vs Sri Lanka.
In 2010, he played a minor role in Hindi film, Kooh Ya Crook alongside John Abraham and Genelia D’Souza.
Dhoni hasn’t appeared in television shows other than cricket matches.
Ms Dhoni is a high-profile celebrity endorser, who has been associated with brands like Pepsico, Reebok, Exide, TVS Motors, Mysore Sandal Soap, Videocon, Reliance Communications, Reliance Energy, Orient PSPO Fan, Bharat Petroleum, Titan Sonata, Brylcreem, NDTV, GE Money, Siyaram, Fashion at Big Bazaar, Maha Choco, Boost, Dainik Bhaskar, Dabur Honey, Kolkata Fashion Week, Aircel communications, Nova Scottia Premium shirts among others. He has had affiliated with several brands as their brand ambassador or spokesperson.
MS Dhoni Favorites
- Favorite Actor – Amitabh Bachchan, John Abraham
- Favorite Actress – Angelina Jolie, Deepika Padukone
- Favorite Color – Blue, Black
- Favorite Idols – Sachin Tendulkar (Cricketer), Amitabh Bachchan, Lata Mangeshkar (Singer)
- Favorite Food – Chicken Tikka Pizza, Butter Chicken Masala
MS Dhoni Net worth
MS Dhoni has an estimated net worth of $130 million dollars as of 2020. He is one of the highest paid cricketers in the world. He was ranked #22 on the list of top 100 highest paid athletes of 2014 and #23 on the same list the following year. Last year, he made $31.5 million in earnings from his annual salary, brand endorsements and IPL.
He has a large fleet of cars including Mahindra Scorpio, Maruti SX4, Hummer H2, Toyota Corolla, Land Rover Freelander, GMC Sierra, Mitsubishi Pajero SFX, Mitsubishi Out Lander, Porsche 911, Audi Q7 SUV, Ferrari 599. His bike collections include Hero Karizma ZMR, Yamaha Rxz, Yamaha Thundercat, Yamaha Rx, Ducati 1098, Yamaha Rd 350, TVs Apache, Kawasaki zx14r Ninja, Confederate Hellcat X 132, Harley Davidson Fat boy, Enfield Machismo, Customized TVs Dirt bike and much more.
Dhoni lives with his family in a luxury house in Ranchi that boasts enough bedrooms and its respective bathrooms, exquisitely decorated large living room, a large swimming pool and of course, a massive garage to accommodate his auto collections.
Dhoni has invested in several businesses. He has stakes in the Hockey India League (HIL) team Ranchi Rays, the Indian Super League team Chennaiyin FC and also the Mahi Racing Team India in the Super sport World Championship. He also has a fitness chain called Sports Fit World and a lifestyle line called SEVEN. He has also invested in a security systems company, Optimum Vigilance Solutions.
Social Media Portfolio
Some Lesser Known Facts About Mahendra Singh Dhoni
- During his school time, he was actually good at badminton and football. Dhoni was selected to represent his school at district and club levels for these sports.
- In football, he is good at the goalkeeper position. Once, he was sent to play cricket by his football coach to play at a local club. He excelled there and soon was sent to other areas, where he again played extremely well. So, he focused on cricket after his 10th standard.
- In 1998, Dhoni was selected by Deval Sahay to play for the Central Coal Fields Limited (CCL) team.
- Dhoni made his Ranji Trophy debut for Bihar in the 1999–2000 season, as an eighteen year old. He made a half century in his debut match scoring 68* in the second innings against Assam cricket team.
- Dhoni has served as the Vice-President of India Cements Limited (ICL).
- He worked as a Train Ticket Examiner (TTE) at Kharagpur railway station from 2001 to 2003.
- Dhoni has two pet dogs, Zarah (Labrador) and Sam (Alsatian).
- Dhoni owns a star hotel named Mahi Resideny in Ranchi.
- He has also launched his own gym and fitness center at Ambience Mall, New Delhi.
- In 2011, Indian Territorial Army conferred the honorary rank of Lt Colonel to him.
- In 2011, Dhoni was conferred the rank of honorary lieutenant-colonel in the Indian Territorial Army for his contribution in cricket.
- In 2013, he was having 20 endorsement deals, which was one less than Shah Rukh Khan‘s (He had 21 at that time).
- In March 2013, Dhoni became the most successful Indian Test captain when he eclipsed Sourav Ganguly’s record of 21 victories from 49 Tests.
- MS Dhoni’s trademark helicopter shot was taught to him by his friend, Santhosh Lal who died in July 2013.
- In November 2013, Dhoni became the second India batsman after Sachin Tendulkar to aggregate 1,000 or more ODI-runs against Australia.
- He was appointed as the Vice-President of Indian Cements Limited (ICL), which owns the IPL franchise, Chennai Super Kings.
- Dhoni was contracted by the Chennai Super Kings for $1.5 million. This made him the most expensive player in the IPL for the first season auctions. Under his captaincy, Chennai Super Kings won the 2010 and 2011 and 2018 Indian Premier League titles and the 2010 and 2014 Champions League T20 titles.
- Dhoni is also a co-owner, along with Abhishek Bachchan and Vita Dani, of Chennai-based football club Chennaiyin FC, a franchise of the Indian Super League.
- In February 2016, Dhoni launched lifestyle brand SEVEN. Dhoni owns the footwear side of the brand and is also the brand ambassador of SEVEN
- In August 2016, Dhoni was selected as captain for India’s first tour to the United States, where India played two T20Is against the West Indies in Lauderhill, Florida.
- A biographical film based on the life of Dhoni, titled M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story, was released on 30 September 2016.
- In 2019, Dhoni Entertainment entered into a long term business agreement with Banijay Asia to produce content in various genres.
- In April 2019, he was named in India’s squad for the 2019 Cricket World Cup.
- In July 2019, in India’s semi-final match against New Zealand, Dhoni played in his 350th ODI.
- In August 2019, he completed a two-week stint with the Territorial Army in Jammu and Kashmir.