Maggie Gyllenhaal is an American actress and producer. She began her career as a teenager with small roles in several of her father’s films and appeared alongside her brother in the cult favorite Donnie Darko. She received critical acclaim for her starring roles in the independent films Secretary and Sherrybaby, earning Golden Globe nominations in the Comedy and Drama categories, respectively. In 2008, she received widespread recognition for playing Rachel Dawes in Christopher Nolan’s superhero film The Dark Knight.
Margalit Ruth Gyllenhaal
Birthday / Date of Birth
Maggie Gyllenhaal was born on November 16, 1977, in New York City, New York, United States.
She’s currently 41 years old.
Brooklyn, New York, United States
She has Swedish and English ancestry on her father’s side, while she is of Russian and Polish descent on her mother’s side.
Gyllenhaal studied at the Harvard–Westlake prep school. She spent four months as a student at The Mountain School, a semester school for high school juniors in Vermont. In 1995, she graduated from Harvard–Westlake and moved to New York to attend Columbia University, where she studied literature and Eastern religions. She also studied acting for a summer term at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) in London, England.
- Father – Stephen Gyllenhaal (Film director and writer)
- Mother – Naomi Achs (Producer, writer, director)
- Siblings – Jake Gyllenhaal (Younger Brother) (Actor)
- Others – Anders Leonard Gyllenhaal (Great-Great-Grandfather)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Maggie Gyllenhaal has dated –
- Peter Sarsgaard (2002-Present)– Maggie started dating actor Peter Sarsgaard in June 2002. He was already a close friend of her brother Jake. They got engaged in April 2006 and married on May 2, 2009 in Brindisi, Italy. The couple has two daughters named, Ramona (b. October 2006) and Gloria Ray (b. April 2012).
- In feet – 5 feet 9 inches
- In centimeters – 175 cm
- In meters – 1.75 m
- In Kilograms – 60 kg
- In Pounds – 132 lbs
- Measurements – 36-25-35
- Bust – 36 inches
- Waist – 25 inches
- Hip – 35 inches
- Bra Size – 32B
She wears a size 9.5 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 5 (US).
Playing the role as Lee Holloway in the 2002 erotic romance film Secretary. The film received nearly two dozen nominations, out of which many of were turned into awards.
She appeared in 1992 mystery drama film Waterland for her role as Maggie Ruth. Her dad Stephen directed the film.
In 2014, she debuted in the political–spy thriller miniseries The Honourable Woman as Nessa Stein.
She has appeared in fashion brand Miu Miu’s ad in 2004. From 2011 to 2012, she appeared in the print ads for got milk?
Awards & Nominations
|2003||Boston Society of Film Critics Award||Best Actress||
|Empire Award||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Golden Globe Award||Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Comedy or Musical||Nominated|
|Independent Spirit Award||Best Female Lead||Nominated|
|MTV Movie Award||Best Breakthrough Performance||Nominated|
|National Board of Review Award||Best Breakthrough Performance||Won|
|National Society of Film Critics Award||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Online Film Critics Society Award||Best Breakthrough Performance||Won|
|San Diego Film Critics Society Award||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Satellite Award||Best Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy||Nominated|
|Toronto Film Critics Association Award||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Vancouver Film Critics Circle Award||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association Award||Best Actress||Nominated|
|2005||Independent Spirit Award||Best Supporting Female||
|2006||Chicago Film Critics Association Award||Best Actress||
|Golden Globe Award||Best Actress in a Motion Picture – Drama||Nominated|
|London Film Critics’ Circle Award||Actress of the Year||Nominated|
|Satellite Award||Best Actress – Motion Picture||Nominated|
|Saturn Award||Best Actress||
Stranger than Fiction
|2008||Critics’ Choice Movie Award||Best Acting Ensemble||
The Dark Knight
|Saturn Award||Best Actress||Nominated|
|2009||Academy Award||Best Supporting Actress||
|Dallas–Fort Worth Film Critics Association Award||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|2014||British Independent Film Award||Best Supporting Actress||
|Golden Globe Award||Best Actress – Miniseries or Television Film||
The Honourable Woman
|Screen Actors Guild Award||Outstanding Performance by a Female Actor in a Miniseries or Television Movie||Nominated|
|Satellite Award||Best Actress – Miniseries or Television Film||Nominated|
|2015||Primetime Emmy Award||Outstanding Lead Actress in a Miniseries or Movie||Nominated|
|Critics’ Choice Television Award||Best Actress in a Movie/Miniseries||Nominated|
|2018||75th Golden Globe Awards||Best Actress – Television Series Drama||
Dinah Jane Favorites
- Favorite Actress – Gena Rowlands
- Favorite Salad – Summer Zucchini Salad
- Favorite Coffee Shop – Gorilla Coffee Shop in Brooklyn
- Favorite Color – Blue
- Favorite Song – Kiss Me (By Ed Sheeran)
Maggie Gyllenhaal Net worth
Maggie Gyllenhaal has a estimated net worth of $15 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
- Facebook – Maggie Gyllenhaal
- Instagram – mgyllenhaal
- Twitter – Maggie Gyllenhaal
Some Lesser Known Facts About Maggie Gyllenhaal
- Maggie’s dad grew up in Swedenborgian religion.
- Maggie did not go to any Hebrew school.
- Gyllenhaal’s birth certificate contains the name Margalit, which she found in 2013. She then officially changed it to “Maggie.” In some news websites, Margolit can also be seen.
- Margalit is a Hebrew word, which means Pearl in English.
- She has also worked as a waitress in a Massachusetts restaurant.
- She has modeled for brands like Miu Miu, Reebok and Agent Provocateur.
- She also used to smoke earlier, but now has quit.
- For the 2010 film The Killer Inside Me, she was first considered to play the role of Joyce Lakeland. But, ultimately, Jessica Alba was finalized to the cast.
- Maggie is good friends with actress Emma Thompson.
- In June 2013, Gyllenhaal and numerous other celebrities appeared in a video showing support for Chelsea Manning.
- In 2014, she played the title role as Baroness Nessa Stein, a British-Israeli businesswoman heiress in the British television BBC Television political spy thriller television miniseries, The Honourable Woman.
- In 2015, she revealed that she was rejected to play the love interest of a 55-year old male character in a movie, saying that, she was too old to do that. At that time, she was 37.
- In February 2017, she was a member of the jury for the 2017 Berlin Film Festival. She has been working as a producer and is also acting in the HBO series The Deuce.