Jenson Alexander Lyons Button MBE is a British racing driver and former Formula One driver. He won the 2009 Formula One World Championship, driving for Brawn GP. Button announced in September 2016 that he would be giving up his seat at the end of the 2016 season but remained at McLaren as a reserve driver and ambassador of McLaren until 2018. He currently competes in the Japanese Super GT Series driving for Team Kunimitsu, in which he won the title in 2018.
Jenson Alexander Lyons Button
Racing Driver, Former Formula One Driver
- 10 – Williams
- 8 – Benetton
- 9 – Honda
- 22 – McLaren, Brawn
Birthday / Date of Birth
Jenson Button was born on January 19, 1980 in Frome, Somerset, England, United Kingdom.
He is currently 39 years old.
He has English ancestry on his father’s side while on his mother’s side, he is of South African descent.
Jenson Button went to the Vallis First School. He has also studied at the Selwood Middle School. Then, he attended Frome Community College, a comprehensive school based in his hometown of Frome.
- Father – John Button (Former Rallycross Driver)
- Mother – Simone Lyons
- Siblings – Samantha Button (Older Sister), Tanya Button (Older Sister), Natasha Button (Older Sister)
- Others – Pippa Kerr (Step-mother)
Jenson Button is represented by the London based sports management company, The Sports Partnership.
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jenson Button dated –
- Louise Griffiths (2000-2005) – In 2000, Jenson started dating singer and actress, Louise Griffiths. They got engaged in 2003. However, they couldn’t make it up to the aisle as they decided to end their relationship in the summer of 2005. They had even set the marriage date but decided to call it off just 3 months before the event. However, they have remained on good terms and have been seen hanging out together over the years.
- Rose McGowan (2005) – Just after his separation from Louise, Jenson was linked with American actress Rose McGowan. They had first met in Monaco and got instantly smitten with each other.
- Florence Brudenell (2006-2008) – As per reports, Button started going out with model and actress, Florence Brudenell, in June 2006. However, they dated only for 1 and a half years, ending their relationship at the start of 2008. It was claimed that the reason for their split was that Jenson wasn’t prepared to settle down.
- Jessica Michibata (2008-2015) – In 2008, he started going out with a lingerie model, Jessica Michibata. They separated for a brief period in May 2010. It was claimed that they were finding it difficult to cope with the long distance. However, they eventually got back together. In February 2014, he proposed to her and they got married in an intimate wedding ceremony in Hawaii in December 2014. Unfortunately, their marriage didn’t last long and they decided to end it in December 2015.
- Brittny Ward (2016-Present) – After the end of his marriage, he found solace in his relationship with the model, Brittny Ward. Their relationship was eventually made public in March 2016 after they were spotted on a date in Los Angeles. They got engaged in June 2018.
- In feet – 6 feet 0 inches
- In centimeters – 183 cm
- In meters – 1.83 m
- In Kilograms – 76 kg
- In Pounds – 168 lbs
Best Known For
Being one of the most successful British race car drivers. During the course of his career, he has raced for some of the most prestigious racing companies including McLaren, Renault, Honda, and Brawn.
F1 Match Debut
In 2000, he made his F1 debut in Australia for Williams. He didn’t perform well in the practice as he crashed his car. Also, he qualified 2nd last to the grid. However, he managed to deliver strong performance in the main event and was all set to score a point but the engine of the car failed 11 laps from the finish.
Jenson Button has appeared in the TV commercials for Vodafone, Head & Shoulders and Mobil.
Often keeps a slight beard
Jenson Button Favorite
- Favorite Holiday Destination – Hawaii
- Favorite Hotel – Conrad Singapore
- Favorite City – Tokyo
- Favorite City He Has Competed In – Monaco
- Favorite Sporting Hero – Paula Radcliffe
- Favorite Dish – Soba Noodles
Jenson Button Net Worth
Jenson Button’s net worth has accumulated to approximately $150 million dollars.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Jenson Button
- He wasn’t able to clear his first ever driving test. He failed in the test because he was getting too close to the parked vehicle.
- After his father bought him his first kart, he started karting at the age of 8 at the Clay Pigeon Raceway.
- At the age of 9, he managed to finish in the 1st spot at British Super Prix in 1989.
- In 1991, he managed to win all the 34 races of the British Cadet Kart Championship. Later, he managed to win thrice in the British Open Kart Championship.
- In 1997, he emerged as a winner at the Ayrton Senna Memorial Cup. Thus, becoming the youngest driver to win the European Super A Championship.
- At the age of 18, he moved into car racing and soon managed to win the British Formula Ford Championship with Haywood Racing. He followed it up by winning in the Formula Ford Festival at Brands Hatch.
- In 1998, he was given the annual McLaren Autosport BRDC Young Driver Award. As part of his prize package, he was allowed a test in a McLaren Formula One car by the end of the following year.
- In his debut season as an F1 professional driver, he managed to earn 12 points and finished in the 8th place.
- In November 2009, he announced that he was going to join the McLaren team as he had signed a 3-year deal with the company. As per the contract, he was going to earn £6 million per season.
- In 2011, he signed a contract extension with McLaren before the Japanese Grand Prix. The new deal was worth £85 million.
- In recognition of his achievements, he was awarded the MBE (Member of the Order of the British Empire) in the Queen’s New Years Honours List in 2010.
- In 2010, he established his charitable organization called The Jenson Button Trust which is tasked with identifying charitable causes and providing financial support to such causes.
- He was awarded an honorary doctorate in engineering by the University of Bath in December 2016.
- Button took part in the Super GT showpiece Suzuka 1000 km race in August 2017.
- In December 2017 Button announced he had signed a deal to drive for Honda in the Japanese Super GT series in 2018.
- In April 2018, Button was confirmed as an SMP Racing driver in the LMP1 class of the 2018–19 FIA World Endurance Championship, including the 2018 24 Hours of Le Mans.
- Visit his official website @ jensonbutton.com.