Janet Jackson is an American singer, songwriter, actress and dancer. She is known for sonically innovative, socially conscious and sexually provocative records and elaborate stage shows. She began her career with the variety television series The Jacksons in 1976 and went on to appear in other television shows throughout the 1970s and early 1980s, including Good Times, Diff’rent Strokes, and Fame. After signing a recording contract with A&M Records in 1982, she became a pop icon following the release of her third and fourth studio albums Control and Rhythm Nation 1814. Her collaborations with record producers Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis incorporated elements of rhythm and blues, funk, disco, rap and industrial beats, which led to crossover success in popular music. Having sold over 100 million records, Jackson is one of the world’s best selling music artists of all time.
Janet Damita Jo Jackson
Miss Jackson, Dunk, J, JJ
Singer, Songwriter, Actress, Dancer
Pop, R&B, Dance, Funk, Hip-Hop, New Jack Swing, Rock, Soul
A&M, Island, Virgin, Rhythm, Nation, BMG, Cinq
Birthday / Date of Birth
Janet Jackson was born on the 16th of May 1966, in Gary, Indiana, United States.
She’s currently 53 years old.
Janet went to Lanai Road Elementary School in LA, California. Later, she attended Portola Middle School in Tarzana, Los Angeles, California. She graduated from Valley Professional School in 1984.
- Father – Joseph Walter Jackson (Talent Manager)
- Mother – Katherine Esther (née Scruse)
- Siblings – Brandon Jackson, Joe Jackson, Jackie Jackson, Jermaine Jackson, La Toya Jackson, Marlon Jackson, Michael Jackson, Randy Jackson, Rebbie Jackson, Tito Jackson
Boyfriend / Spouse
Janet Jackson has dated –
- James DeBarge (1984-1985) – Janet started dating another singer James in 1984. They eloped in that year and married on September 7, 1984. But, they split in the following year in March 1985 and the divorce was finalized on November 18, 1985.
- Rene Elizondo (1985-2000) – Rene and Janet started dating in 1985. After dating together for more than 5 years, Jackson married music director, Rene Elizondo on March 31, 1991. This relationship also saw an end, and they divorced on March 13, 2000.
- Matthew McConaughey (2002) – Jackson met actor Matthew McConaughey in 2002 Grammy Awards. She had a fling with him around February-March 2002.
- Jermaine Dupri (2002-2009 and 2017) – She met music producer, Jermaine Dupri in April 2002 and started dating. After two years of dating together, the duo engaged on April 1, 2004. This relationship also saw an end on July 7, 2009. In December 2017, Jermaine and Janet were seen cuddling up at the after party.
- Wissam Al Mana (2010-2017) – After meeting Qatari-born retail entrepreneur, Wissam Al Mana in April 2010 during a hotel opening in Dubai, she started dating him in May 2010. After two and a half years of dating together, the couple engaged and married in December 2012. She gave birth to the couple’s first child, son Eissa Al Mana on January 3, 2017. In April 2017, it was announced that the couple had separated and were pursuing a divorce.
- In feet – 5 feet 4 inches
- In centimeters – 163 cm
- In meters – 1.63 m
- In Kilograms – 58 kg
- In Pounds – 128 lbs
- Measurements – 35-24-36
- Bust – 35 inches
- Waist – 24 inches
- Hip – 36 inches
- Bra Size – 34B
She wears a size 8 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 6 (US).
In her illustrious music career, which has spewed over 11 studio albums and eight world tours, Jackson has sold more than 100 million records with two of her albums finding a place in Rolling Stone magazine’s 500 Greatest Albums list. The albums were also included in the Definitive 200 list published by Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
In September 21, 1982, Janet released her first album titled Janet Jackson by A&M Records. It charted at #63 in U.S. and 44 in New Zealand. She was able to sell 250,000 total copies of the album.
In 1993, Janet appeared drama/romance film Poetic Justice for her starring role as Justice. Janet received 4 awards for the movie and 3 nominations.
She debuted with a variety show, named The Jacksons from 1976 to 1977. The show featured all the Jackson siblings except Jermaine. The show broadcast for only 12 episodes.
Janet has appeared in Pepsi’s television commercial and later in 2011, she appeared in a commercial presenting Nutrisystem’s Success program. In the following year, she also appeared in Nutrisystem’s print advertisements.
Janet Jackson Favorites
- Favorite Singers – Ella Fitzgerald, Marvin Gaye
- Favorite Color – Black
Janet Jackson Net worth
Janet Jackson has an estimated net worth of $190 million dollars as of 2020.
Social Media Profiles
- Facebook – Janet Jackson
- Instagram – janetjackson
- Twitter – Janet Jackson
- YouTube Channel – Janet Jackson, JanetJacksonVEVO
Some Lesser Known Facts About Janet Jackson
- At a young age, her brothers began performing as the Jackson 5 in the Chicago-Gary area.
- In March 1969, the group signed a record deal with Motown, and soon had their first number-one hit.
- At age seven, Jackson performed at the MGM Casino on the Las Vegas Strip.
- In 1976, Jackson began acting in the variety show The Jacksons. The following year, she landed the role of Penny Gordon Woods in the sitcom Good Times.
- In 1977, she was selected to have a starring role as Penny Gordon Woods in the sitcom Good Times.
- If she weren’t into singing, she would have been horse racing jockey or entertainment lawyer.
- At the age of 16, Jackson signed a contract with A&M Records. Under the label, she released her debut album Janet Jackson in 1982. The album peaked at number 63 on Billboard 200 and at number six on R&B Albums chart.
- She is the role model to the singers Britney Spears, Pink and Rihanna and so have influenced their careers.
- In 1984, Jackson released her second album Dream Street. The album was moderately successful, peaking at number 147 on Billboard 200 and at number 19 on R&B Albums chart.
- In 1991, Jackson’s contract with A&M expired. Consequently, she signed a multi-million dollar deal with Virgin Records which made her the highest paid recording artist at the time.
- In 1995, she collaborated with her brother Michael Jackson for the song Scream, which was the lead single from his album HIStory.
- In 1996, Jackson renewed her contract with Virgin Records’ for a whopping $80 million, making her the highest paid recording artist in history.
- In July 2000, Jackson appeared in her second film, Nutty Professor II: The Klumps, as the role of Professor Denise Gaines, opposite Eddie Murphy.
- In November 2004, she was honored as a role model by 100 Black Men of America, Inc. and presented with the organization’s Artistic Achievement Award saluting “a career that has gone from success to greater success.
- In June 2005, she was honored with a Humanitarian Award by the Human Rights Campaign and AIDS Project Los Angeles as recognition for her involvement in raising money for AIDS charities.
- In 2008, Jackson signed a record deal with Island Records. The same year, she released her tenth studio album Discipline that opened at number one spot. Its lead single peaked at number 19 on the Hot 100 chart.
- In 2009, she released a second compilation titled Number Ones which comprised all her hits.
- In November 2014, Jackson was voted ‘Queen of Pop’ by a poll conducted online by VH1.com.
- In 2015, Jackson initiated her record label, Rhythm Nation, thus becoming one of the first African-American female musicians to own a record label.
- In October 2015, she received her first nomination for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and four years later was inducted to the Hall.
- Visit her official website @ janetjackson.com.