Thandie Newton is a British actress who has appeared in British and American films. She is known for her starring roles, such as the title character in Beloved, Nyah Nordoff-Hall in Mission: Impossible 2, Christine in Crash for which she received a BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Linda in The Pursuit of Happyness, Condoleezza Rice in W. Newton has played the sentient android the madam Maeve Millay in the HBO science fiction western series Westworld, for which she earned a Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series and two Critics Choice Awards as well as Golden Globe Award, Saturn Award and Screen Actors Guild Award nominations. In 2017, she portrayed DCI Roz Huntley in the BBC drama series Line of Duty which earned her a nomination for the British Academy Television Award for Best Actress. Newton was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2019 New Year Honours for services to film and to charity.
Melanie Thandiwe Newton
Birthday / Date of Birth
Thandie Newton was born on the 6th of November 1972, in Westminster, London, England.
She’s currently 47 years old.
Thandie is of Zimbabwean descent on mother’s side, whereas has English ancestry on father’s side.
Newton studied dance from the Tring Park School for the Performing Arts. Later she graduated from Downing College (affiliated with University of Cambridge), Cambridge with a degree in Social Anthropology.
- Father – Nick Newton (Laboratory Technician and Artist)
- Mother – Nyasha Newton (Health Care Worker)
- Siblings – Jamie Newton (Brother) (Worked in Camera Department)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Thandie Newton has dated –
- John Duigan – Newton began a relationship with Australian film director John Duigan at the age of 16 and maintained it for six years.
- Brad Pitt (1994) – Newton started going out with Hollywood heartthrob Brad Pitt in 1994 after having met on the set of Interview with the Vampire. They went out for about a year before going separate ways.
- Ol Parker (1998-Present) – Thandie met English director and writer Ol Parker on the set of BBC drama In Your Dreams. Parker was the scriptwriter while Newton was starring in the show. Thandie fell for him immediately, but it took her some time to make him feel the same. After dating for a brief period, Thandie got married to Parker in 1998. The couple has three children, daughters Ripley (b. 2000) and Nico (b. 2004) and son Booker Jombe (b. 2014).
- In feet – 5 feet 3 inches
- In centimeters – 160 cm
- In meters – 1.60 m
- In Kilograms – 51 kg
- In Pounds – 113 lbs
- Measurements – 33-24-35
- Bust – 33 inches
- Waist – 24 inches
- Hip – 35 inches
- Bra Size – 32A
She wears a size 6.5 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 3 (US).
Newton is known for her starring roles, such as the title character in Beloved (1998), Nyah Nordoff-Hall in Mission: Impossible 2 (2000), Christine in Crash (2004), for which she received a BAFTA Award for Best Actress in a Supporting Role, Linda in The Pursuit of Happyness (2006), Condoleezza Rice in W. (2008), Laura Wilson in 2012 (2009) and Val in Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018).
In 1991, Thandie first appeared dramedy film Flirting in the role of Thandiwe Adjewa.
In 1991, Newton guest appeared in the television series The Word as herself in episode #2.2.
Thandie has appeared in print ads and television commercials for Olay 7 – Total Effects day moisturizer.
Thandie Newton Favorites
Her favorite things are unknown.
Thandie Newton Net worth
Thandie Newton has an estimated net worth of $12 million dollars as of 2020.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Thandie Newton
- In 2000, the Black Men magazine readers (by voting) had included her in the list of 10 Sexiest Women of the Year.
- In 2002, she was placed on #48 by Stuff Magazine in 102 Sexiest Women in the World list.
- In 2007 Newton sold her near-new BMW X5 and replaced it with a Toyota Prius after Greenpeace stuck a This gas-guzzling 4×4 is causing climate change sticker on her BMW.
- In 2007, Newton co-starred with Eddie Murphy in the comedy Norbit as his love interest, and then opposite Simon Pegg as his ex-girlfriend in the 2008 comedy Run Fatboy Run.
- In 2008 Newton visited poverty-stricken Mali, describing it as a humbling experience. She visited the village of Nampasso in the Ségou Region of the country.
- In 2011, Thandie suffered from bulimia (eating disorder) in early days of her acting career.
- In 2013 Newton led the One Billion Rising flash mob in London, for an end to violence, and for justice and gender equality.
- In 2013, she led the flash mob performance done for One Billion Rising, an organization that works against sexual violence and gender inequality.
- In 2014, the animal rights organization PETA declared her the sexiest vegan of the year for UK.
- In 2016, Newton stated she had been the victim of a director who repeatedly showed his friends a video of her in a sexually-graphic audition which she made as a teenager.
- In 2016, Newton began portraying Maeve Millay in HBO science fiction drama series Westworld, for which she won the Primetime Emmy Award for Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Drama Series, among other accolades.
- In 2016, she was awarded the Critics’ Choice Television Award for Best Supporting Actress in a Drama Series and the IGN Award for Best TV Actress for her role in the series Westworld.
- In 2017, she served as a narrator for the documentary entitled Bill Cosby: Fall of an American Icon, an expose on the sexual assault charges laid against Cosby, which aired on BBC One.
- In 2018, Newton spoke against Time’s Up, a movement against sexual harassment, saying her disappointment at not being involved in the movement stemmed from the fact she was previously ostracised for speaking out about alleged sexual abuse by a director.
- In 2018, she was ranked one of the best dressed women by fashion website Net-a-Porter.
- Newton was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2019 New Year Honours for services to film and to charity.