Janelle Monáe is an American singer, songwriter, rapper, actress and model. She is signed to her own imprint, Wondaland Arts Society and Atlantic Records. After her first unofficial studio album, The Audition, she publicly debuted with a conceptual EP titled Metropolis: Suite I (The Chase), which peaked at number 115 on the Billboard 200 in the United States. Monáe has received six Grammy Award nominations.
Janelle Monáe Robinson
Singer, Rapper, Songwriter, Actress, Model
Psychedelic Soul, R&B, Funk, Soul, Pop, Art Rock
Wondaland, Epic, Bad Boy, Atlantic Records
Birthday / Date of Birth
Janelle Monáe was born on December 1, 1985 in Kansas City, Kansas, United States.
She’s currently 33 years old.
Janelle Monae went to the F. L. Schlagle High School in Kansas City. Post that, she started studying drama at the American Musical and Dramatic Academy in New York City on a scholarship basis. However, she didn’t complete her studies there as she dropped out claiming that her creativity was stifled at the institute. She was also enrolled at the performing arts camp named, Freedom Theatre.
- Father – Michael Robinson Summers (Truck Driver)
- Mother – Unknown (Worked as a Janitor)
- Siblings – None
Janelle Monae is represented by Paradigm Talent Agency & William Morris Endeavor.
Boyfriend / Spouse
Janelle Monae has dated –
- Lewis Hamilton (2015) – Janelle was reported to be seeing British F1 racer Lewis Hamilton in 2015 after they were spotted together in Paris attending numerous events during the Paris Fashion Week. However, Janelle being her private self didn’t say anything about her supposed new boyfriend.
- Tessa Thompson (2018-Present) – In April 2018, when the music video of PYNK was released by Janelle, the fans considered that they indeed were dating in real life as they looked quite comfortable in the video. Later in an interview given to Porter magazine, Tessa revealed that she was bisexual and she and Janelle are private persons. Overall, she didn’t accept nor denied the relationship rumors.
- In feet – 5 feet
- In centimeters – 152 cm
- In meters – 1.5 m
- In Kilograms – 52 kg
- In Pounds – 115 lbs
- Measurements – 36-25-36
- Bust – 36 inches
- Waist – 25 inches
- Hip – 36 inches
- Bra Size – 34B
She wears a size 6 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 4 (US).
She is popular for her dressings style, which is tuxedo wardrobe, her signature style. Her black and white colour code is her signature style with which she relates to her early years when she worked as a maid. Her albums “The ArchAndroid”, “The Electric Lady” and “Dirty Computer”. Her portrayal in the movie Hidden Figures, alongside actresses Taraji P. Henson and Octavia Spencer, which was released in December 2016.
Janelle Monae released her first studio album titled “The ArchAndroid” on May 18, 2010, which charted at #17 on the US Billboard 200. It also managed to reach the top charts in many countries. Her second album titled “The Electric Lady” was released on September 6, 2013 to critical acclaim and debuted at number 5 on Billboard 200, followed by her third album, “Dirty Computer” on April 27, 2018. It peaked at #6 on the Billboard 200. Her first appearance in the Billboard Hot 100 chart was “We Are Young” by fun., in which she was featured as a.guest vocalist.
Janelle landed her first acting job as a voice actress in the 2014 3D animated film “Rio 2” in which she voiced the character Dr. Monae. Her first acting role was as Teresa in the movie “Moonlight” in 2016.
In 2004, Monae hosted the music TV series Souled Out.
Janelle has starred in commercials for Pepsi, CoverGirl for Whipped Cream Foundation, Sonos Wireless HiFi Home Audio System, Target Store, Gap & Sonos.
Janelle Monáe Favorites
- Favorite Movies – Psycho (1960), The Twilight Zone
- Favorite TV series – Game of Thrones
- Favorite Role Models – Josephine Baker, Grace Jones
- Favorite Writers – Aldous Huxley, Isaac Asimov, Octavia Butler
Janelle Monáe Net worth
Janelle Monae has a net worth of $6 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Janelle Monáe
- She had a very difficult upbringing due to poor financial condition of her family.
- Her inclination towards music began as a child when she was inspired by the fictional character from the musical ‘The Wizard of Oz’. She started singing and songwriting at a very young age. She was part of the choir in the local Baptist church.
- She was a member of Kansas City’s Coterie Theater Young Playwrights’ Round Table whens she was young.
- In 2001, she moved to Atlanta, Georgia where she met OutKast’s Big Boi, and then founded the Wondaland Arts Society with some like-minded young artists.
- Janelle got her first break in 2006 when she performed with ‘OutKast’ in their album titled ‘Idlewild’ where she appeared in the numbers ‘Call the Law’ and ‘In Your Dreams’.
- In 2010, Monáe received the Vanguard Award from the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers at the Rhythm & Soul Music Awards.
- She was featured in the “Style 100” of InStyle magazine.
- She supports LGBTQ community.
- She received the “Breakthrough Award” at the 10th annual Essence Black Women In Hollywood event in February 2017.
- Janelle launched her own range of clothing products under the label of Electro Phi Beta Sorority.
- Her movies Moonlight and Hidden Figures were nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture.
- She has been influenced by the music of Michael Jackson, James Brown and Stevie Wonder.
- As a child, she used to sing on holidays and Sundays at the local Baptist church.
- Visit her official website @ jmonae.com.