Tessa Thompson is an American actress, singer and songwriter. Her breakout role was in Tina Mabry’s independent film Mississippi Damned. She gained further recognition for her starring roles as Nyla Adrose in the drama film For Colored Girls, civil rights activist Diane Nash in the historical drama film Selma, Bianca Taylor in the sports drama film Creed and its sequel Creed II, Valkyrie in the superhero film Thor: Ragnarok, Josie Radek in the science fiction horror film Annihilation and Detroit in the science-fiction comedy film Sorry to Bother You.
Tessa Lynne Thompson
Birthday / Date of Birth
Tessa Thompson was born on October 3, 1983 in Los Angeles, California, United States.
She’s currently 35 years old.
Her father is of Afro-Panamanian descent and her mother is of Mexican and European descent.
Tessa attended Santa Monica High School and then enrolled at Santa Monica College, where she earned a degree in cultural anthropology. While in school, she participated in a lot of theatre and drama productions and was exposed to acting and singing at a very early age.
- Father – Marc Anthony Thompson (Singer, songwriter and the founder of Chocolate Genius Inc.)
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – She has a sister.
Boyfriend / Girlfriend / Spouse
Tessa Thompson has dated –
- Ben Crowley – The two were dating for a short while when Tessa was still struggling. However, they decided to end their relationship amicably.
- Janelle Monáe (2018-Present) – In April 2018, when the music video of PYNK was released by Janelle, the fans considered that they indeed were dating in real life as they looked quite comfortable in the video. Later in an interview given to Porter magazine, Tessa revealed that she was bisexual and she and Janelle are private persons. Overall, she didn’t accept nor denied the relationship rumors.
- In feet – 5 feet 4 inches
- In centimeters – 163 cm
- In meters – 1.6 m
- In Kilograms – 55 kg
- In Pounds – 121 lbs
- Measurements – 34-25-36
- Bust – 34 inches
- Waist – 25 inches
- Hip – 36 inches
- Bra Size – 32B
She wears a size 7.5 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 5 (US).
Her work in the television series, ‘Veronica Mars’ (2005-2006) and her roles in films like Creed (2005) and Thor: Ragnarok (2017).
In 2014, she sang with the electro band named Caught A Ghost for a song for one of her own films Dear White People. She also served as a music composer and helped in creating tunes for the film.
Tessa played the role of Scarlet in the 2006 remake of the horror film When a Stranger Calls.
Thompson made her first TV show appearance in a 2005 episode of the CBS series Cold Case in the role of a bootlegging lesbian from the 1930s.
In 2002, Thompson made her professional stage debut in Los Angeles Women’s Shakespeare Company’s production of The Tempest.
In 2006, Tessa appeared in a commercial for US cellular.
Awards & Nominations
|2009||American Black Film Festival||Best Actor||Mississippi Damned||Won|
|2011||Black Reel Awards||Best Breakthrough Performance||For Colored Girls||Won|
|2014||Gotham Awards||Breakthrough Actor||Dear White People||Won|
|African-American Film Critics Association||Breakthrough Performance||Won|
|2015||NAACP Image Awards||Outstanding Actress in a Motion Picture||Nominated|
|Black Reel Awards||Best Actress||Nominated|
|Hamptons International Film Festival||Breakthrough Performer||Selma||Won|
|African-American Film Critics Association||Best Supporting Actress||Creed||Won|
|2016||NAACP Image Awards||Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture||Nominated|
|Black Reel Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Won|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Actress: Drama||Nominated|
|2018||NAACP Image Awards||Outstanding Supporting Actress in a Motion Picture||Thor: Ragnarok||Nominated|
|BAFTA Awards||Rising Star||Nominated|
|Black Reel Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|Empire Awards||Best Female Newcomer||Nominated|
|Saturn Awards||Best Supporting Actress||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Movie Actress: Sci-Fi||Nominated|
Tessa Thompson Favorites
- Favorite Singer – Prince
- Favorite Designer – Rodarte
- Favorite Beauty Trick – Using Skyn’s Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels for Reducing Puffiness and Cooling the Eyes.
- Favorite Book – My Brilliant Friend by Elena Ferrante
- Favorite Music – Her father’s band Chocolate Genius Inc., which reminds her of home.
- Favorite Bag – Mifland Backpack
Tessa Thompson Net worth
Tessa Thompson has a estimated net worth of $5 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
- Instagram – tessamaethompson
- Twitter – Tessa Thompson
Some Lesser Known Facts About Tessa Thompson
- She gave her first theatre performance in 2002 in Los Angeles’ Women’s Shakespeare Company’s production of The Tempest. She essayed the role of Juliet in 2003 in the play Romeo and Juliet.
- She earned her first television role in 2005 in CBS’s ‘Cold Case’ and then went on to star in films.
- Tessa is also a dancer and has done a cameo in a music video sung by her friends Janelle Monáe and Jidenna. The song was called Yoga.
- She received her first award as the Best Actor for her role in “Mississippi Damned” at the American Black Film Festival in 2009.
- She didn’t plan on becoming an actor. She initially had plans to elope and join the Peace Corps after she graduated from college studying anthropology.
- In 2010, Thompson appeared in Tyler Perry’s stage play adaptation For Colored Girls, after she directly approached Perry to be cast in the film.
- She always had a passion for singing and also played a singer in the movie Cree (2015).
- Thompson, critical of Hillary Clinton, endorsed Senator Bernie Sanders for President in the 2016 US presidential election.
- In 2016, Thompson appeared in the off-Broadway run of the Lydia R. Diamond play Smart People at Second Stage Theatre, starring alongside Mahershala Ali, Joshua Jackson and Anne Son.
- In 2017, Thompson played Monica Geller in the music video Moonlight by Jay-Z.
- She will also have a starring role in the Men in Black spin-off film, Men in Black: International. The film, which reunites her with Thor: Ragnarok co-star Chris Hemsworth, is set for release on June 14, 2019.