James Marsden is an American actor, singer and former model. Marsden began his acting career guest-starring in television shows Saved by the Bell: The New Class, Touched by an Angel & Party of Five. He gained prominence with his portrayal of Scott Summers / Cyclops in the X-Men film series and starred in 2006’s Superman Returns. In 2016 and 2018, Marsden starred as gunslinger Teddy Flood in the HBO science fiction series Westworld as part of the main ensemble. Marsden later starred in a range of independent films such as Small Apartments, Bachelorette and Robot & Frank. Marsden then portrayed President John F. Kennedy in Lee Daniels’s The Butler and had a supporting role as an antagonist in Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues. In 2019, he starred as Steve Wood in Netflix’s Dead To Me.
James Paul Marsden
James, Bello Jimmy, J.P.
Actor, Singer, Model
Birthday / Date of Birth
James Marsden was born on the 18th of September 1973, in Stillwater, Oklahoma, United States.
He is currently 46 years old.
James has English, German, Scottish and French ancestry.
James Marsden went to Hefner Middle School and had completed his high school studies from Putnam City North High School in Oklahoma City. He studied broadcast journalism at Oklahoma State University.
- Father – James Luther Marsden (Head of Food Safety)
- Mother – Kathleen (née Scholtz) (Nutritionist)
- Siblings – Jennifer (Younger Sister), Elizabeth (Younger Sister), Jeff (Brother), Robert (Brother)
- Relatives – Luther Durwood Marsden (Paternal Grandfather), Norma Junelle Owrey (Paternal Grandmother), William George Scholz (Maternal Grandfather), Mary Louise Orr (Maternal Grandmother)
Girlfriend / Spouse
James Marsden dated –
- Mary Elizabeth “Lisa” Linde (2000-2011) – Lisa Linde is a famous actress and daughter of country music songwriter Dennis Linde. James and Lisa married on July 22, 2000. They have a son named, Jack Holden (b. February 1, 2001) and a daughter named Mary James (b. August 10, 2005). Their divorce was filed by Linde on September 23, 2011.
- Rose Costa (2011) – Brazilian model, Rose Costa dated James for a while in 2011. Their son William Luca Costa-Marsden was born on December 14, 2012.
- Edei (aka Emma Deigman) (2015-Present) – English singer and songwriter, Emma Deigman and James commenced dating in 2015. They are still going strong as a couple.
- In feet – 5 feet 10 inches
- In centimeters – 178 cm
- In meters – 1.78 m
- In Kilograms – 74 kg
- In Pounds – 163 lbs
- Body Measurements –44–14–38
- Chest – 44 in or 112 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 14 in or 35.5 cm
- Waist – 38 in or 96.5 cm
His shoe size is 10.5 (US).
His role of Scott Summers / Cyclops in the superhero film series X-Men (2000) and his character Richard White in the 2006 film Superman Returns.
He sang two songs for the 2007 musical film Hairspray. Both the songs were certified platinum by the RIAA.
In 1994, James landed his first acting job in Howard McCain’s comedy film No Dessert, Dad, Till You Mow the Lawn, playing the role of Tyler Cochran.
In 1993, James Marsden made his acting debut as Steven Willis in the television film In the Line of Duty: Ambush in Waco. James’s first appearance on the television show was as Chad Westerfield in Saved by the Bell: The New Class in 1993.
James has appeared in these commercials AT&T Unlimited Plus, Several Toyota RAV4 Hybrid commercials titled Wolf Pack, Lumberjacks Challenge and Mars, Hugo Boss Own Your Journey campaign.
Awards & Nominations
|2001||X-Men||Blockbuster Entertainment Award, Favorite Supporting Actor – Science Fiction||Won|
|2001||MTV Movie + TV Award, Best On-Screen Team||Nominated|
|2007||Hairspray||Hollywood Film Festival Award, Ensemble of the Year||Won|
|Superman Returns||Saturn Award, Best Supporting Actor||Nominated|
|2008||Hairspray||Critics Choice Award, Best Acting Ensemble||Won|
|Gold Derby Award, Best Ensemble Cast||Nominated|
|Palm Springs International Film Festival Award, Best Ensemble Cast||Won|
|Screen Actors Guild Award, Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Motion Picture||Nominated|
|Enchanted27 Dresses||Teen Choice Award, Choice Movie Actor – Comedy||Nominated|
|2010||Death at a Funeral||Teen Choice Award, Choice Movie – Male Scene Stealer||Nominated|
|2011||Modern Family||Online Film & Television Association Award, Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series||Won|
|Savannah Film Festival Award, Spotlight award||Won|
|2012||30 Rock||Gold Derby Award, Best Guest Actor in a Comedy Series||Nominated|
|2014||Anchorman 2: The Legend Continues||MTV Movie + TV Award, Best Fight||Nominated|
|30 Rock||Screen Actors Guild Award, Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Comedy Series||Nominated|
|The Butler||Screen Actors Guild Award, Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Motion Picture||Nominated|
|2015||Kaguyahime no mongatari||Behind the Voice Actors Award, Best Vocal Ensemble in an Anime Feature Film/Special||Nominated|
|2017||Westworld||Screen Actors Guild Award, Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series||Nominated|
James Marsden Favorites
- Favorite Actors – Paul Newman
- Favorite Actress – Kate Winslet
- Favorite Movies – Jaws and The Godfather
- Favorite Songs – Shameless and The Dance by Garth Brooks
- Favorite Clothing Brands – Calvin Klein, Prada and Thrift-Store Clothes
- Favorite Food – Sushi
James Marsden Net worth
James Marsden has an estimated net worth of $8 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Portfolio
Some Lesser Known Facts About James Marsden
- Marden’s mother and father got divorced when he was 9 years old.
- He fell in love with acting at a very young age and even appeared in his college production of Bye Bye Birdie while studying at Oklahoma State University.
- During his teen years, James even worked as a news announcer for a year on Good Morning Oklahoma.
- He dropped out of college during his sophomore year and moved to Los Angeles to become an actor. After several failed auditions, he secured a role in the pilot episode of The Nanny as Eddie in 1993.
- He played guest roles in a string of television series before landing his first major breakthrough in the Canadian television series, Boogies Diner, playing the character of Jason in just one episode of the series.
- James was nominated for Teen Choice Awards nomination for Choice Movie Actor in a Comedy for his roles in Enchanted and 27 Dresses.
- He has modeled for the brand Versace.
- James was originally considered for the lead role in the 1998 movie 54, however, the role went to actor Ryan Phillippe after he turned down the offer.
- In 2004, Marsden co-starred with Rachel McAdams, Ryan Gosling, James Garner, and Gena Rowlands in the romantic drama The Notebook as Lon Hammond, Jr., the second man Allie Hamilton (McAdams) falls in love with.
- In 2007, Marsden played Corny Collins in the film adaptation of the Broadway musical Hairspray, based on the 1988 John Waters film of the same name.
- In 2009, Marsden also played the male lead in the film The Box, based on the 1970 short story Button, Button by author Richard Matheson, which was earlier made into an episode of The Twilight Zone.
- In January 2011, he guest appeared in the ABC’s Modern Family.
- In 2014, Marsden reprised his role of Cyclops in a brief cameo for X-Men: Days of Future Past, as did a few of the original actors from the first film including Anna Paquin and Famke Janssen.
- In 2019, he played Burt Reynolds in Quentin Tarantino’s comedy-drama film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, however, his scenes didn’t make to the final cut.