Florence Welch is an English musician, singer, songwriter, producer and poet. She is the vocalist and songwriter of the indie rock band Florence and the Machine. Florence and the Machine’s debut album, Lungs was released in 2009 on 17 January 2010, the album reached the top position in the UK after being on the chart for 28 consecutive weeks. Lungs won the Brit Award for Best British Album in 2010. The group’s second studio album, Ceremonials, released in October 2011, debuted at number one in the UK and number six in the US. The band’s third album, How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful was released in 2015 to positive reviews from critics, and topped the UK and US charts.
Florence Leontine Mary Welch
Flo, Flossy, Floaty
Singer, Songwriter, Musician
Vocals, Percussion, Piano
Moshi Moshi, Iamsound, Island, Universal Republic Records, Republic Records
Welch has both American and British citizenship.
Birthday / Date of Birth
Florence Welch was born on the 28th August of 1986, in London, England, United Kingdom.
She is currently 33 years old.
She has Scottish ancestry on her father’s side.
Florence attended Thomas’s London Day School and thereafter Alleyn’s School, South East London. Later, she enrolled at the Camberwell College of Arts but dropped out in the middle to concentrate on her musical pursuits.
- Father – Nicholas Russell “Nick” Welch (Advertising Executive)
- Mother – Evelyn Welch (née Evelyn Kathleen Samuels) (Has served as the Professor of Renaissance Studies at King’s College London)
- Siblings – J.J. Welch (Younger Brother), Grace Welch (Younger Sister)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Florence Welch has dated –
- Stuart Hammond (2008-2011) – Florence and literary editor Stuart Hammond were romantically linked to each other. They had also split in 2009 briefly. Finally, in 2011 after a mutual decision, the couple separated amicably because of their contradictory career demands.
- James Nesbitt (2012) – In January 2012, she started dating a special effects person, James Nesbitt. The relationship was short lived.
- In feet – 5 feet 9 inches
- In centimeters – 175 cm
- In meters – 1.75 m
- In Kilograms – 58 kg
- In Pounds – 128 lbs
- Measurements – 33-24-34
- Bust – 33 inches
- Waist – 24 inches
- Hip – 34 inches
- Bra Size – 32A
Her dress size is 3 (US).
She wears a size 9 (US) shoe.
Being the lead vocalist of the indie rock band Florence + the Machine.
In 2016, Welch made her acting debut, starring in a drama musical film Weightless.
In July 3, 2009, the debut studio album of Florence and the Machine titled Lungs was released in the UK by Island Records. It debuted at #2 on the UK Albums Chart and after staying in the top 40 of the chart for 28 consecutive weeks, it peaked at number one on January 17, 2010. It also clinched the numero uno position on the Billboard Heatseekers Albums chart and peaked at #3 on the US Top Rock Albums (Billboard) chart.
In October 2009, Kamala Harris made her first TV show appearance on the News talk show, Hannity.
She has appeared in Dominic Jones Jewellery commercial.
Awards & Nominations
|2009||Brit Awards||Critics Choice Award||Florence Welch||Won|
|2010||NME Awards||Best Dressed||Florence Welch||Nominated|
|2011||Virgin Media Music Awards||Best Live Act||Nominated|
|Shameless Publicity Seeker||Nominated|
|2012||MP3 Music Awards||The HDT Award||“Sweet Nothing” (featuring Calvin Harris)||Nominated|
|2013||British Fashion Awards||Best British Style||Florence Welch||Nominated|
|NME Awards||Dancefloor Anthem||“Sweet Nothing” (featuring Calvin Harris)||Won|
|MTV Video Music Awards Japan||Best Collaboration||Nominated|
|MTV Video Music Awards||Best Editing||Nominated|
|Billboard Music Awards||Top EDM Song||Nominated|
|2014||Grammy Awards||Best Dance Recording||Nominated|
|iHeartRadio Music Awards||EDM Song of the Year||Nominated|
|World Music Awards||World’s Best Song||Nominated|
|World’s Best Video||Nominated|
|World’s Best Female Artist||Florence Welch||Nominated|
|World’s Best Live Act||Nominated|
|2016||Grammy Awards||Best Rock Song||“What Kind of Man”||Nominated|
|2017||Ivor Novello Awards||International Achievement||Florence Welch||Won|
|2018||Mercury Prize||Album of the Year||High As Hope||Nominated|
Florence Welch Favorite
- Favorite Movies – The Cockettes (2002)
- Favorite Candy – Swedish Fish
- Favorite Song – Total Eclipse of the Heart by Bonnie Tyler
- Favorite All-time Song – Try a Little Tenderness by Otis Redding
- Favorite Artists – Ed Ruscha, Cy Twombly, Alberto Giacometti, Pablo Picasso
Florence Welch Net worth
Florence Welch has an estimated net worth of $15 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
- Instagram – florence
Some Lesser Known Facts About Florence Welch
- As a child, she sang at weddings and funerals.
- Her grandmother committed suicide when Florence was 14 years old. She was an art historian who had suffered from bipolar illness.
- She is good friends with Taylor Swift and Blake Lively.
- In 27 February 2011, Welch replaced pregnant Dido and sang her portion of Best Original Song nominee If I Rise (from 127 Hours) with A. R. Rahman at the 83rd Academy Awards.
- In October 2012, she was featured on Scottish singer-songwriter and producer Calvin Harris’ song Sweet Nothing, which debuted at number one on the UK singles chart, marking Welch’s second number one.
- In 2015, Welch broke her foot after leaping off the stage at the Coachella Festival.
- In February 2015, Florence + The Machine announced their third album, How Big, How Blue, How Beautiful, which was released on 1 June 2015. The album reached #1 in many markets including the US, the UK, Australia and Canada. The record spawned two top 40 UK hits and earned three Grammy nominations.
- In 2016, Welch voiced her support for Remain during the EU referendum on that issue.
- In March 2017, Welch appeared in Song to Song directed by Terrence Malick.
- In May 2017, Welch contributed a song titled To Be Human to the Wonder Woman soundtrack. Co-written with Rick Nowels, the song is performed on the film’s soundtrack by Sia and Labrinth.
- In 2018, Welch released a book titled Useless Magic, a collection of lyrics and poems written by Welch, along with illustrations.
- In May 22, 2018, Florence Welch performed a duet with Mick Jagger, at London Stadium during the Rolling Stones’ No Filter Tour. They sang Wild Horses.
- In June 29, 2018, the fourth studio album of the band High as Hope was released.
- In July 2018, Welch published her first book Useless Magic: Lyrics and Poetry.
- In 2019, she performed Jenny of Oldstones, a song appearing in George R. R. Martin’s novel A Song of Ice and Fire, in episode two of season 8 of the fantasy series, Game of Thrones, went viral, garnering million of views.
- Visit her band’s official website @ florenceandthemachine.net.