Diego Luna is a Mexican actor, director and producer. He has appeared in many films, including Y tu mamá también, Open Range, Milk, Rudo y Cursi, Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. He also played the character of Enrique Cruz in the 2004 film The Terminal starring Tom Hanks. Luna starred as Mexican drug cartel leader Miguel Angel Felix Gallardo in the Netflix series Narcos: Mexico which premiered in November 2018.
Diego Luna Alexander
Diego, Alexander García
Actor, Director, Producer
Birthday / Date of Birth
Diego Luna was born on the 29th of December 1979, in Toluca, Mexico.
He’s currently 40 years old.
Diego is of Scottish and English descent on his mother’s side, while has Mexican ancestry on father’s side.
There isn’t much information regarding his education.
- Father – Alejandro Luna (Set Designer)
- Mother – Fiona Alexander (Costume Designer) (Died in 1982)
- Siblings – Iván Amozurrutia (Brother)
- Relatives – Robert Love Alexander (Maternal Grandfather), Margaret Elizabeth Spring (Maternal Grandmother)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Diego Luna has dated –
- Romola Garai (2003-2004) – Diego Luna started going out with English actress Romola Garai after having grown closer during the shooting of the movie, Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights (2004). But it didn’t last long as they separated after dating for about a year.
- Alice Braga (2005) – Luna started dating Brazilian actress Alice Braga in 2005 after having first met on the sets of the Mexican-Brazilian drama film, Only God Knows. In the interviews, Alice has called Diego someone special and credited him for inspiring her in her acting journey.
- Paola Núñez (2006) – Diego started going out in the mid-2006 with actress Paola Nunez. They went out for about six months before going separate ways in November 2006.
- Camila Sodi (2007-2013) – Diego first met his former wife Camila Sodi in 2007 while working together in the movie, The Night Buffalo. Soon after, they started dating and got married in February 2008. During the marriage, she was already pregnant with his first child, Jeronimo, born in August 2008. In July 2010, they welcomed a daughter, Fiona, who was named after Luna’s deceased mother and they were divorced in March 2013.
- Paulina Davila (2013-2015) – Diego started dating Colombian actress Paulina Davila in October 2013. Their affectionate display at the International Film Festival of Morelia further helped solidify rumors of the new relationship.
- Suki Waterhouse (2015; 2017) – Diego made his relationship with English model Suki Waterhouse public in January 2017 with a very intimate and hands-on display while holidaying in Tulum, Mexico. They were pictured sharing a passionate smooch along with Diego sliding his hand in the back of her shorts. The couple had first sparked dating rumors in March 2015 when they met on a film set. In June 2017, they were seen at LAX walking together.
- In feet – 5 feet 10 inches
- In centimeters – 178 cm
- In meters – 1.78 m
- In Kilograms – 75 kg
- In Pounds – 165 lbs
His shoe size is 11.5 (US).
Being cast in the lead role in 2004 romantic movie, Dirty Dancing: Havana Nights and playing the role of Captain Cassian Andor in the Star Wars franchise film Rogue One (2016).
In 1982, Diego made his film debut film Antonieta. His role is uncredited.
In 1989, Luna first appeared in the children’s telenovela Carrusel in the very first episode.
Diego has been seen in commercials on Corona beer & Verizon. He has directed and produced some commercials like Honda Civic 2014 Coupe, Jarritos etc.
Awards & Nominations
|2002||Marcello Mastroianni Award||Best Actor||Y tu mamá también||Won|
|MTV Movie Awards||Best Insult||Won|
|2004||MTV Movie Awards||Favorite Actor, Best Performance and Worst Smoker||Nicotina||Won|
|Best Turn-On Performance||Nominated|
|Best Performance||Open Range||Nominated|
|2009||Cinema Writers Circle Awards||Best Actor||Just Walking||Nominated|
|Goya Awards||Best Actor||Nominated|
|Silver Ariel Award||Best Actor||Rudo y Cursi||Nominated|
|Screen Actors Guild Awards||Best Ensemble||Milk||Nominated|
|Critics Choice Award||Best Ensemble||Won|
|2012||Imagen Award||Best Supporting Actor/Feature Film||Casa de mi Padre||Won|
|2014||Audience Award||Narrative Spotlight||Cesar Chavez||Won|
|2017||Saturn Awards||Best Supporting Actor in a Film||Rogue One: A Star Wars Story||Nominated|
|Teen Choice Awards||Choice Sci-Fi Movie Actor||Nominated|
|2018||Washington D.C. Area Film Critics Association||Best Ensemble||If Beale Street Could Talk||Nominated|
|Seattle Film Critics Society||Best Ensemble Cast||Nominated|
Diego Luna Favorites
- Favorite Actor – Javier Bardem, Vincent Gallo
- Movies – Reservoir Dogs (1992), Pulp Fiction (1994)
- Favorite Destination – Paris
Diego Luna Net worth
Diego Luna has an estimated net worth of $12 million dollars as of 2020.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Diego Luna
- Luna acted in his first play at age seven. As a child actor, he appeared in several telenovelas.
- Along with actor Gael Bernal and producer Pablo Cruz, he has co-founded a production company named, Canana Films.
- In 2002, Luna starred in Vampires: Los Muertos and the Oscar-winning Frida.
- In 2010, he became a part of the board of directors of the Washington Office on Latin America (WOLA).
- In 2012, Luna directed his first film, the biopic Cesar Chávez, about the eponymous founder of the United Farm Workers.
- Luna became a member of the jury for the Un Certain Regard section of the Cannes Film Festival.
- In January 2015, Luna narrated a video about the obstacles faced by children migrating from their home countries and seeking refuge in the US.
- In March 2015, Luna joined the cast of Ana Lily Amirpour’s film The Bad Batch.
- Luna starred as Mexican drug cartel leader Miguel Angel Felix Gallardo in the Netflix series Narcos: Mexico, which premiered in November 2018.