Billy Joel is an American singer-songwriter, composer and pianist. Commonly nicknamed the “Piano Man”, he has been making music since the 1960s, releasing popular albums throughout the ’70s, ’80s and ’90s. Joel took part in two short-lived bands, The Hassles and Attila, before beginning a solo career in 1971 with his first solo release, Cold Spring Harbor. In 1972, Joel grabbed the attention of Columbia Records after a live radio performance of the song “Captain Jack” became popular in Philadelphia, prompting him to sign a new record deal with the company and release his second solo album, Piano Man, which contained his first hit single of the same name.
William Martin Joel
Singer, Songwriter, Composer, Pianist
Birthday / Date of Birth
Joel was born on 9 May 1949, in The Bronx, New York City, United States. He was brought up in raised in Levittown, New York in the town of Oyster Bay.
He’s currently 69 years old.
Joel attended Hicksville High School until 1967, but he did not graduate from high school, as he left his studies to embark a career in music.
- Father – Helmut Joel (Pianist)
- Mother – Rosalind Nyman
- Siblings – Judy Joel (Sister), Alexander Joel (Half-brother )
Girlfriend / Spouse
Mackenzie Foy has dated –
- Elizabeth Weber (1973–1982) – Joel’s first wife was Elizabeth Weber Small. When their relationship began, she was married to Jon Small, his music partner in the short-lived duo Attila, with whom she had a son. When the infidelity was exposed, Weber (temporarily) severed her relationships with both men. Weber and Joel later married in 1973 and she became his manager.
- Christie Brinkley (1985–1994) – Joel married a second time to model Christie Brinkley, in March 1985. Their daughter, Alexa Ray Joel, was born December 29, 1985. Alexa was given the middle name of Ray after Ray Charles, one of Joel’s musical idols. Joel and Brinkley divorced on August 26, 1994.
- Katie Lee (2004–2009) – On October 2, 2004, Joel married Katie Lee, his third wife. At the time of the wedding, Lee was 23 and Joel was 55. Joel’s daughter, Alexa Ray, then 18, served as maid-of-honor.
- Alexis Roderick (2015–Present) – On July 4, 2015, Joel married a fourth time, to Alexis Roderick, an equestrian and former Morgan Stanley executive, at his estate on Long Island. Governor of New York Andrew Cuomo conducted the ceremony. The couple had been together since 2009. On August 12, 2015, the couple’s daughter, Della Rose Joel, was born. The couple had a second daughter, Remy Anne, on October 22, 2017.
- In feet – 5 feet 5 inches
- In centimeters – 167 cm
- In meters – 1.67 m
- In Kilograms – 66 kg
- In Pounds – 144 lbs
His body stats are unknown.
- Billy Joel music career started off when he joined the band, The Lost souls (formerly, The Echoes) in 1963 and later moved to a couple of different bands. In 1969, he formed a duo ‘Attia’ with drummer Jon Small and released their eponymous debut album in July 1970. They split after a clash over personal issues.
- The following year, her signed a recording contract with Artie Ripp Family Productions and released his first debut solo album, “Cold Spring Harbor”. In 1973, he recorded his signature hit “Piano Man” about the bar’s patrons and subsequently, Billy released an album under the same name with Columbia Records. Its lead single became his signature song, ending nearly every concert.
- Since then, Billy Joel has released thirteen studio albums, five live albums, fifteen compilation albums, ten video albums, singles, promotional singles and fifty music videos. Joel had Top 40 hits in the 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s, achieving 33 Top 40 hits in the US, all of which he wrote himself. He has sold more than 150 million records worldwide, making him one of the best-selling artists of all time.
Film & Television Debut
He hasn’t appeared in films but have appeared in several television shows and talk shows.
Billy Joel Favorites
His favorites are unknown.
Billy Joel Net worth
Billy Joel’s net worth is estimated at $192 million dollars as of 2019. His impressive net worth is a result of his music sales, tours, singing, lucrative brand endorsements, and also has several other business endeavors. In 1996, he co-founded the Long Island Boat Company along with the Long Island boating businessman Peter Needham. In November 2010, Joel launched a shop in Oyster Bay, Long Island, to manufacture custom-build, retro-styled motorcycles and accessories. Billy owns several real estate properties across the country. He bought a 14,000 square foot, castle-like waterfront home, in Centre Island, New York in 2002 for $22 million. He also owns 8,881-square-foot Mediterranean-style Miami Beach Mansion, which he purchased for $13.5 million in 2006. The mansion features a luxurious bar with wine cellar, gourmet kitchen, 165 feet of waterfront, seven-bedroom and 8.5-bathroom. He is passionate about cars and motorcycles, who has an extensive collection of exotic cars from luxury car manufactures, including a 1973 VW Beetle.
Social Media Portfolio
- Facebook – Billy Joel
- Instagram – billyjoel
- Twitter – Billy Joel
- YouTube Channel – Billy Joel
Some Lesser Known Facts About Billy Joel
- Joel took piano classes at this young age from noted American pianist Morton Estrin and musician Timothy Ford.
- He is an accomplished boxer and boxed successfully on the amateur Golden Gloves circuit for a short time, winning 22 bouts, but abandoned the sport shortly after his nose was broken in his 24th boxing match. Bullies was his greatest inspiration to learn boxing.
- Billy Joel has no bone in the top of his left thumb, since his 1982 motorcycle accident.
- In 2011, he announced that he will release his autobiography but scrapped his plan stating “It took working on writing a book to make me realize that I’m not all that interested in talking about the past, and that the best expression of my life and its ups and downs has been and remains my music.”
- Joel has received many honorary doctorates.
- Billy Joel is the sixth highest certified music artist in the US (82.5 million album certifications).
- Billy Joel was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in Cleveland in 1999 by one of his chief musical influences, Ray Charles.
- In 2002, Joel was also named MusiCares Person of the Year.
- Billy Joel has won five Grammys, including Album of the Year for 52nd Street and Song of the Year and Record of the Year for “Just the Way You Are”.
- In September 20, 2004, Joel received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, for his work in the music industry.
- Joel is the only performing artist to have played both Yankee and Shea Stadiums.
- In December 12, 2011 Joel became the first non-classical musician honored with a portrait in Steinway Hall.
- In December 29, 2013 in Washington, D.C., Billy Joel received Kennedy Center Honors, the nation’s highest honor for influencing American culture through the arts.
- In July 22, 2014, the Library of Congress announced that Joel would be the sixth recipient of the Gershwin Prize for Popular Song. He received the prize at a performance ceremony in November 2014 from James H. Billington, the Librarian of Congress and Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor.
- In July 18, 2018, Governor Andrew Cuomo proclaimed the date to be Billy Joel Day in New York state to mark his 100th performance at Madison Square Garden.
- Visit her official website @ billyjoel.com.