Tyra Banks also known as BanX is an American television personality, producer, model, businesswoman, actress, author and occasional singer. She began her career as a model at the age of 15 and was the first woman of African-American descent to be featured on the covers of GQ and the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, on which she appeared twice. She was a Victoria’s Secret Angel from 1997 to 2005. By the early 2000s, Banks was one of the world’s top earning models. In 2010, she published a young adult novel titled Modelland, based on her life as a model. It topped The New York Times Best Seller list in 2011. Banks is one of four African Americans and seven women to have repeatedly been ranked among the world’s most influential people by Time Magazine. She is also one of only seventeen models to be ranked as a Legendary Supermodel by MODELS.com.
Tyra Lynne Banks
Ty, Big Buddy, Lady T L B, BBQ
Former Model, Actress, TV Host, Author
Birthday / Date of Birth
Tyra Banks was born on December 04, 1973, in Inglewood, California, United States.
She’s currently 45 years old.
Banks attended John Burroughs Middle School and graduated from Immaculate Heart High School in Los Angeles in the year 1991. Subsequently, she enrolled herself into Claremont McKenna College and Loyola Marymount College but, after she got the chance to go to Europe for modeling, she put her education on hold, when she was 16.
- Father – Donald Banks (Computer Consultant)
- Mother – Caroline London (now London-Johnson) (NASA Photographer)
- Siblings – Devin Banks (5 Year Older Brother)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Tyra Banks has dated –
- Craig Taylor (1990) – In 1990, Tyra started dating Manhattan’s Fordham University’s First Year Law Student, Craig Taylor, who is 6 ft 6 inch high. He is actually her school friend and so they had known each other since their childhood.
- John Singleton (1993-1996) – From 1993 to 1996, American film director John Singleton and Tyra were an item. They got introduced via a mutual friend and soon Tyra got her break in acting via Higher Learning (1995), which was directed by Singleton.
- Seal (1996) – English musician Seal dated Tyra briefly in 1996. In this short-lived relationship, the couple appeared publicly only once and that was during Essence Awards. They finally broke in October 1996.
- Chris Webber (2001-2004) – Basketball player, Chris Webber and Tyra Banks were romantically linked from December 2011 until September 2004. During these two and a half years, Tyra was frequently seen at Sacramento Kings games. The RUMORs of their engagement also hit the internet but everything cooled down, once the couple separated in 2004.
- Giancarlo Marcaccini (2005-2006) – Basketball player from Italy, Giancarlo Marcaccini dated Banks from 2005 to 2006.
- John Utendahl (2007-2011) – American investment banker, John Utendahl dated this supermodel from 2007 to 2011. During these 4 years, they worked hard to keep their relationship secret. Whenever Tyra was interviewed, she refused to comment on this and John was never ever interviewed during this period.
- Erik Asla (2013) – Norwegian fashion photographer, Erik Asla dated Tyra Banks in 2013. On January 27, 2016, Tyra gave birth to her son York Banks-Asla via surrogacy.
- Keith Carlos (2014) – For about a month, from January 2014 to February 2014, Tyra was romantically linked with fellow model, Keith Carlos. He is about 14 years her junior.
- In feet – 5 feet 10 inches
- In centimeters – 178 cm
- In meters – 1.78 m
- In Kilograms – 64 kg
- In Pounds – 141 lbs
- Measurements – 37-24-36
- Bust – 37 inches
- Waist – 24 inches
- Hip – 35 inches
- Bra Size – 32E
Tyra is naturally Brunette.
She wears a size 10.5 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 4 (US).
Working with Victoria’s Secret as their angel and also with Sports Illustrated Swimsuit.
Banks had a role in the 1995 American drama film Higher Learning for her role as Deja.
Fashion Show Debut
She debuted with Ready to Wear – Autumn / Winter 1992 fashion show where she modeled for Chanel.
In 1993, Tyra appeared in 8 episodes of NBC’s sitcom The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air in which she portrayed Jackie Ames.
Tyra Banks advertised for Cover Girl, 3 Suisses, Alma Couture, Dolce & Gabbana, Elite chocolate, Escada, H, H & M, Milk, Nike, Ralph Lauren, Rifat Ozbek, Swatch skin, X-O-X-O, Tommy Hilfiger, Victoria’s Secret and Yves Saint Laurent.
Awards & Nominations
|2004||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Reality/Variety TV Star – Female||America’s Next Top Model||Nominated|
|2005||Choice TV Personality: Female||Nominated|
|Online Film & Television Association Award||Best Host of a Talk or Service Show||The Tyra Banks Show||Nominated|
|2007||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV: Personality||America’s Next Top Model/The Tyra Banks Show||Won|
|Daytime Emmy Award||Outstanding Talk Show||The Tyra Banks Show||Nominated|
|ASTRA Awards||Favorite International Personality or Actor||America’s Next Top Model||Nominated|
|2008||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV: Personality||Won|
|Daytime Emmy Award||Outstanding Talk Show/Informative||The Tyra Banks Show||Won|
|2009||Daytime Emmy Award||Outstanding Talk Show/Informative||The Tyra Banks Show||Won|
|2017||Teen Choice Awards||Choice TV: Personality||America’s Got Talent||Nominated|
|2019||Kids’ Choice Awards||Favorite TV Host||America’s Got Talent||Nominated|
Tyra Banks Favorites
- Favorite Actor – Jack Nicholson
- Favorite Actress – Meryl Streep
- Favorite Perfume – Demeter PMU
- Favorite Color – Blue
- Favorite Song – Kiss Me (By Ed Sheeran)
Tyra Banks Net worth
Tyra Banks has a estimated net worth of $90 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Tyra Banks
- Tyra Banks started her modeling career at the age of 15, while she was still in school. After being rejected by four modeling agencies, she was signed to L.A. Models.
- She faced the situation of Ugly Duckling (what she calls herself) in her childhood. This is because she lost 30 pounds (13.6 kg) of weight in three months and also added three inches to her height.
- In 1990, she bagged a contract with Elite Model Management, following which she was offered the opportunity to model in Europe and subsequently moved to Milan. The next year, she achieved the remarkable feat of booking 25 runway shows as a newcomer in the 1991 Paris Fashion Week.
- Banks had been ranked multiple times by TIME magazine in their Most Influential People List. She has become one of the four African Americans to have received this status.
- Oprah Winfrey is her role model.
- She has a dog named, Little TJ.
- In 1997, she became a Victoria’s Secret Angel and was featured in Victoria’s Secret lingerie catalogue as the first black woman. The same year, she was named ‘Supermodel of the Year’ by VH1.
- In 2005, she created her own talk show, The Tyra Banks Show, which focused on issues faced by young women. The show, which won two back-to-back Daytime Emmy awards, ran for five seasons.
- In February 2007, Tyra Banks was fat-shamed after some of her pictures in bathing suit were published on tabloid magazines. She unabashedly flaunted the same swimsuits on her show, earning accolades from critics as well as her audience.
- She launched her own website @ typef.com in March 2011, which is co-owned by Demand Media.
- In 2017, She is scheduled to replace Nick Cannon as the main host of America’s Got Talent.
- Visit Tyra’s official website @ tyra.com.