Sophie Marceau is a French actress, director, screenwriter and author. Marceau achieved popularity with her debut films La Boum and La Boum 2, receiving a César Award for Most Promising Actress. She became a film star in Europe with a string of successful films including L’Étudiante, Pacific Palisades, Fanfan and Revenge of the Musketeers. Marceau became an international film star with her performances in Braveheart, Firelight and the 19th James Bond film The World Is Not Enough.
Sophie Danièle Sylvie Maupu
Actress, Author, Director, Screenwriter
Pathé Marconi EMI
Birthday / Date of Birth
Sophie Marceau was born on November 17, 1966, in Paris, France.
She’s currently 52 years old.
Sophie was a working-class school girl who was hardly diligent about her studies. Sophie later went to Curie College. Sophie later trained at the world-renowned Cours École Florent Drama School in Paris.
- Father – Benoît Maupu (Truck Driver)
- Mother – Simone Morisset (Retail Assistant; expired in 2016)
- Siblings – Sylvain Maupu (Older Brother) (French Actor)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sophie Marceau has dated –
- Andrzej Zulawski (1984–2001) – Sophie started dating the Polish film director at the age of 18 when she teamed up with him to make the first of 3 films together named, L’Amour Braque (1984). Andrezej was older than Sophie by 24 years but that did not seem to faze the actress. They got married in 1985 and their relationship lasted for 17 years during which she gave birth to Andrzej’s son, Vincent in July 1995. The couple separated in 2001. Andrzej expired in February 2016.
- Jim Lemley (2001–2007) – Jim is an American TV and film producer based in Paris, son of the famous American engineer, Jack Lemley. He met Sophie on the sets of Anna Karenina (1997) in 1996 because he was one of the financiers of the film. They shared a long-term acquaintance before they started dating in 2001. Sophie gave birth to his daughter Juliette in June 2002. The couple separated after nearly 7 years together.
- Christopher Lambert (2007–2014) – Sophie’s agent Dominique Besnehard played matchmaker by introducing her to French-American actor, Christopher Lambert. Sophie cast him in the lead role of her directorial project Trivial / La disparue de Deauville (2007) and the two bonded over their creative sensibilities. The couple got married in 2012 but announced their separation in July 2014.
- Cyril Lignac (2014–2016) – Sophie formally announced on her Twitter account that she was dating the renowned French chef Cyril Lignac who was 11 years younger to her. However, their relationship merely lasted a year. Sophie justified the break-up by explaining that she does not believe in attraction between opposites implying too many opposing differences with Cyril.
- In feet – 5 feet 7¾ inches
- In centimeters – 172 cm
- In meters – 1.72 m
- In Kilograms – 57 kg
- In Pounds – 126 lbs
- Measurements – 34-25-33
- Bust – 34 inches
- Waist – 25 inches
- Hip – 33 inches
- Bra Size – 32B
She wears a size 8.5 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 4 (US).
Her most memorable role was as the villain Elektra King in the James Bond movie The World is Not Enough (1999).
She made her singing debut in 1981 by recording a duet with French singer François Valéry called Dream in Blue. Her debut album with 9 tracks was titled Certitude (1986).
In 1980, she was cast as Vic Beretton in the comedy film La Boum (1980).
In 1980, she was a guest on a talk show named Les nouveaux rendez-vous.
Sophie has appeared in more than commercials including for Nichi-Spo (1984), Debon South Korean Cosmetics (1989), Kagome Juice, Japan, Maxell video cassettes, Japan, Guerlain’s perfume, Champs-Elysées (1996), Chaumet Parisian jewelers (2009), Mandarin Oriental group of hotels (2011), Morgan bags (2013), Villebois Ballet Shoes (2015), Bolon Chinese eyewear (2015) & Citroën / DS Automobiles (2013–2016).
Sophie Marceau Favorites
Her favorites are unknown.
Sophie Marceau Net worth
Sophie Marceau has a estimated net worth of $50 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
- Facebook – Sophie Marceau
- Instagram – sophiemarceau
- Twitter – Sophie Marceau
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sophie Marceau
- Her parents got divorced when she was 9 years old.
- She became a star at the age of 14. Her debut film was a huge commercial success and she was selected for her role from over a thousand candidates.
- When she was 15, Sophie borrowed money and somehow put together one million francs to buy back her contract with Gaumont Film Company because the studio was too controlling of her professional choices and she felt scared and suffocated working for it.
- In 1995, Sophie wrote a semi-autobiographical novel Menteuse. The English translation Telling Lies was published in 2001.
- Sophie switched her last name Maupu to Marceau for professional reasons. She took the last name after the Marceau Avenue that led to her agency, Artmédia’s office.
- In 2002, Marceau made her directorial debut in the feature film Speak to Me of Love, for which she was named Best Director at the Montreal World Film Festival. The film starred Judith Godrèche.
- She was declared an Officer of the Arts and Letters by France in 2003, the second highest civilian honor in the country.
- Acutely conscious of her mortality, Sophie was motivated to become a writer & director to leave behind self-created work of art in this world.
- She was adjudged the best director for her directorial debut, Speak to Me of Love(2002) at the Montreal World Film Festival.
- Being an animal lover, she often works with charities related to animal welfare.
- She is notoriously and repeatedly in the news for facing some kind of wardrobe malfunction or the other on the red carpet of Cannes Film Festival.
- In 2015, Sophie became one of the jurors of the prestigious Cannes Film Festival.