Sasha Velour is an American drag queen and artist. Sasha is known for being an out of the box artist, Steinberg incorporates that eccentricity into Velour’s drag persona. In 2017, sasha is also known for winning the ninth season of RuPaul’s Drag Race. In 2020, she will star in her own Quibi show, NightGowns, which will follow Velour across eight episodes as she transforms Nightgowns into a full-blown stage act.
Alexander Hedges Steinberg
Drag Queen, Artist, TV Personality, Producer
Birthday / Date of Birth
Sasha Velour was born on the 25th of June 1987, in Berkeley, California, United States.
She’s currently 32 years old.
Brooklyn, New York City, New York, United States
She is of Russian-Jewish descent on her paternal side.
In 2004, Sasha graduated from University Laboratory High School in Champaign-Urbana, Illinois, United States. In 2009, Sasha Velour earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Vassar College in Poughkeepsie, New York, United States. In 2013, she earned her Master of Fine Arts degree in cartooning from the Center for Cartoon Studies in White River Junction, Vermont, United States.
- Father – Mark D. Steinberg (History professor at the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, Author, Editor)
- Mother – Jane T. Hedges (Managing Editor of Slavic Review, Editor)
- Siblings – Unknown
Boyfriend / Spouse
Sasha Velour has dated –
Sasha has largely opted to keep her personal life away from the public spotlight, which makes it difficult for us to say anything about her love life and dating history.
- In feet – 5 feet 9 inches
- In centimeters – 175 cm
- In meters – 1.75 m
- In Kilograms – 65 kg
- In Pounds – 143.5 lbs
She wears a size 11 (US) shoe.
Sasha well known for competing on the ninth season of RuPaul’s Drag Race. She is also known for her conceptual, avant garde aesthetic and performances that pull from the world of visual art more than the traditional elements of performance drag.
In 2017, Sasha landed her first role in television by appearing as Herself (Contestant) series, RuPaul’s Drag Race.
Sasha has not done endorsement work for several brands.
Awards & Nominations
|Award Giving Body
Sasha Velour Favorites
- Favorite Song to Perform – Wuthering Heights by Kate Bush
- Favorite Philosophy in Art – Constructivism
- Favorite Drag Art Inspirations – Jean-Michel Basquiat, Keith Haring, Andy Warhol
Sasha Velour Net worth
Sasha Velourt has an estimated net worth of $2.5 million dollars as of 2020.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sasha Velour
- Sasha was named after a Russian feminist leader named Alexandra Kollontai.
- She was once described as the child of hippie academics who not only supported but encouraged her gender non-conformity and creativity.
- She thought that she would be an actor or a director when she grows up.
- Her signature bald head is a tribute to her mom who died of cancer and lost her hair during the aggressive treatment.
- She is credited for pioneering the use of projection mapping in lip-sync drag performances.
- Her drag sister is Olive D’Nightlife also known as Didi Panache.
- She used to work as a freelance illustrator and graphic designer before becoming a drag queen.
- She described her signature eyebrows as Kabuki meets Nosferatu.
- She and her partner Johnny have an Italian Greyhound named Vanya. It’s short for Ivan The Terrible.
- In 1969, she created a comics series titled Stonewall, which covered the story of the Stonewall riots from multiple viewpoints.
- In 2014, she founded a bi-yearly publication titled Velour, The Drag Magazine with her partner Johnny and served as its artistic director.
- In August 2015, she has produced Nightgowns, a monthly drag show in Brooklyn.
- In 2016, she tried out for the 8th season of RuPaul’s Drag Race but was not selected.
- In September 2018, she attended the 4th annual Diamond Ball founded by Rihanna.
- In December 2018 Steinberg participated in The Long Conversation at the Smithsonian in Washington D.C.
- In 2020, Steinberg will star in her own Quibi show, NightGowns, which will follow Velour across eight episodes as she transforms Nightgowns into a full-blown stage act.
- Visit her official website @ sashavelour.com.