Robert Downey Jr. is an American actor. His career has included critical and popular success in his youth, followed by a period of substance abuse and legal difficulties and a resurgence of commercial success in middle age. For three consecutive years from 2012 to 2015, Downey topped the Forbes list of Hollywood’s highest paid actors and in 2008, Time magazine named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world. His films have grossed over $5.3 billion in North America and over $12.9 billion worldwide, making Downey the second highest grossing domestic box office star and the highest grossing worldwide box office star of all time.
Robert John Downey, Jr.
RJD, Bob, Bob Downey
Actor, Singer-Songwriter, Producer, Screenwriter
Vocals, Musical Keyboard
Birthday / Date of Birth
Robert Downey Jr. was born on April 04, 1965 in New York, New York, United States.
He is currently 54 years old.
Malibu, California, United States
Robert Downey attended Santa Monica High School in California but dropped out in 1982 and went back to New York to pursue his career in acting. As a teenager, he also went to Stagedoor Manor Performing Arts Training Center in New York.
- Father – Robert Downey Sr. (Filmmaker, Actor, Producer)
- Mother – Elsie Downey (Actress)
- Siblings – Allyson Downey (Older Sister)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Robert Downey Jr. dated –
- Sarah Jessica Parker (1984-1991) – Sarah had done dating in the past from 1984 until 1991 when she first met him during the filming of the drama movie “Firstborn”.
- Winona Ryder (1988) – Winona was rumored to be dating Downey in 1988.
- Deborah Falconer (1992-2001) – Actress and singer Deborah started dating Downey in April 1992. They married on May 29, 1992, after a 42-day courtship. The relationship saw an end in 2001 due to Robert’s drug and alcohol addiction. Their divorce was finalized on April 26, 2004. They have a son together – Indio Falconer Downey (b. September 7, 1993).
- Marisa Tomei (1994) – American actress, Marisa dated briefly in 1994 when they first met on the sets of the romantic-comedy film “Only You”.
- Calista Flockhart (2001) – In 2001, Calista was RUMORed to be dating with Robert. They first met on the set of comedy-drama TV series, Ally McBeal.
- Susan Downey (2003-Present) – Downey started dating in August 2003, when they both met during the filming of the film “Gothika”. Susan was a producer at that time, as she was an Executive Vice President of Production company, Silver Pictures. They engaged on November 6, 2003 and married in a Jewish ceremony at Amagansett, New York on August 27, 2005. Together, the couple has a son – Exton Elias Downey (b. February 7, 2012) and a daughter Avri Roel (b. November 2014).
- In feet – 5 feet 7¾ inches
- In centimeters – 172 cm
- In meters – 1.72 m
- In Kilograms – 78 kg
- In Pounds – 172 lbs
- Measurements – 46-16-36
- Chest – 46 in or 117 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 16 in or 41 cm
- Waist – 36 in or 89 cm
He wears a size 10 (US) shoe.
Playing the role of Marvel superhero Tony Stark / Iron Man in the live action film Iron Man. He has played the same role in its sequels and The Avengers (2012).
Debut studio album, The Futurist by actor Robert Downey Jr. was released in November 2004. It appeared at number 121 on Billboard’s charts by selling 16,000 copies in its first week. It consists of 10 singles.
He debuted with 1970 film Pound directed and written by his father. He played the role as a “Puppy” and he was just 5 years old at that time.
American late night live TV sketch comedy, Saturday Night Live (also known as SNL). He was a cast member and did 18 episodes in 1985.
He has been the face of several brands including the Kraft Foods Planters’ Peanuts (2010), Taiwanese mobile maker HTC and Nissan Motors, to name a few.
Robert Downey Jr. Favorites
- Favorite Actor – Peter O’Toole
- Favorite Movies – Tropic Thunder, Iron Man, Sherlock Holmes
- Favorite Brands – Adidas, Benedict Aviators, Ray-ban, Lacoste, BlackBerry
- Favorite Color – Green
Robert Downey Jr. Net worth
Robert Downey Jr. has a net worth of $300 million dollars as of 2019. He apparently has a lucrative deal with Disney Marvel that would fuel his net worth $50 million in the next few years. In 2010, Robert and his wife Susan launched their own production company, Team Downey, which also makes a considerable portion of his net worth. His annual salary is estimated to be $80 million.
- One of the wealthiest and style icons of America, Robert Downey live a King like living with his enormous fortune. His luxurious Malibu mansion in California costs him a whopping $14 million dollars which he has his wife bought in 2009. This beach facing 3,500 square feet ranch style mansion features six bedrooms, four bathrooms, a gym, and of course, all the amenities that one could imagine.
- Robert Downey recently acquired a $2.5 million worth modest mansion in Pacific Palisades. This house features four bedrooms, two bathrooms and a two car garage with a beautiful garden. He also owns a couple of real estate properties in Rustic Canyon and Abbott Kinney.
Cars & Bikes
Robert Downey Jr. is a huge fan of supercars as just like his onscreen persona. His love for cars doesn’t end with his friction movies and has quite an impressive collection of luxury cars. Down the line in his career, he has possession of a 1970 Mustang, a Mercedes-Benz Pagoda, a black Audi A7 Sport ($68,300), Audi R8 ($115,990), Acura NSX Roadster ($130,000), VW Golf Sport and a green Bentley Continental GT ($190,000).
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Robert Downey Jr.
- His father is of half Irish Catholic and half Russian Jewish descent while his mother has German, Scottish and Swiss ancestry.
- His father, Robert Downey Sr. was born as “Robert Elias” but changed his surname to “Downey” (after his stepfather James Downey).
- Robert Jr. and his older sister grew up in Greenwich Village and was born in Manhattan.
- His father was a drug addict and so, Robert Jr. also used drugs at the age of six.
- He did his first film at the age of 5, by working in his father’s film.
- His parents divorced in 1978 (when he was 13 years old).
- In 1993, he wrote and starred in his first documentary The Last Party.
- Robert was nominated for Academy Awards twice, but he couldn’t able to get one for him.
- The most powerful celebrity in entertainment is a black belt in the Chinese martial art of Wing Chun.
- Robert is a big fan of sunglasses and is very rare to see him off the glasses.
- He has been on-and-off the jail several times for his excessive use of drugs. His father was an avid drug addict, who supply him drugs since childhood.
- RJD has been off the drugs since 2003 and has credited his wife for helping him overcome his drug and alcohol habits.
- In 2008, he was flashed in a video game titled “Iron Man” for his role as Tony Stark.
- In 2010, he opened a production company called “Team Downey” with his wife Susan.
- In 2012, Downey reprised the role of Tony Stark in The Avengers. The film received positive reviews and was highly successful at the box office, becoming the third highest grossing film of all time both in the United States and worldwide.
- In 2016, Downey appeared in an anti-Trump commercial with other celebrities encouraging people to register to vote in the 2016 election.