Deontay Wilder is an American professional boxer. He has held the WBC heavyweight title since 2015, and in doing so became the first American world heavyweight champion in nine years, which was the longest period of time in boxing history without an American heavyweight champion. As an amateur he won a bronze medal in the heavyweight division at the 2008 Olympics. As of May 2019, Wilder is ranked as the world’s second best active heavyweight by BoxRec and third best by the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board and The Ring magazine.
Deontay Leshun Wilder
The Bronze Bomber
Birthday / Date of Birth
Deontay Wilder was born on October 22, 1985 in Tuscaloosa, Alabama, United States.
Deontay is currently 33 years old.
He has African-American ancestry.
Deontay Wilder went to the Tuscaloosa Central High School in his hometown. After graduating from high school in 2004, he got enrolled at the Shelton State Community College.
- Father – Gary Wilder
- Mother – Deborah Wilder
- Siblings – Unknown
Girlfriend / Spouse
Deontay Wilder has dated –
- Helen – Deontay was going out with Helen while he was studying in high school. When he was 19 years old, Helen gave birth to their daughter, Naieya, who was born with spina bifida. He has revealed in his interviews that it was because of Naieya’s birth and disability, he decided to give boxing a try. Since then, Naieya has undergone multiple surgeries and is as active as any other normal child. However, it seems that his relationship with Helen didn’t last long.
- Jessica Scales-Wilder – Deontay got married to Jessica Scales-Wilder in 2009. They had been together for some time. During the course of their marriage, Jessica gave birth to three children – a daughter named Ava and two sons, Deontay Jr. and Dereon. They eventually decided to separate as Deontay’s attention wandered.
- Telli Swift (2017-Present) – Deontay Wilder reportedly started going out with model and TV personality Telli Swift in 2017. Towards the end of the year, it was revealed that they were expecting their first child together. In March 2018, she took to her Instagram to introduce their daughter, Kaorii Lee Wilder to the world. They have also got engaged.
- In feet – 6 feet 6¾ inches
- In centimeters – 200 cm
- In meters – 2.00 m
- In Kilograms – 103 kg
- In Pounds – 227 lbs
- Measurements – 44-16-34.5
- Chest – 44 in or 112 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 16 in or 41 cm
- Waist – 34.5 in or 88 cm
Deontay wears a size 12.5 (US) shoe.
Having served as one of the best heavyweight boxers in the world. He is particularly known for efficiently knocking out his opponents. Until August 2018, he managed to win all 40 of his fights. Out of these 40 victories, just one didn’t arrive via knockout.
Boxing Match Debut
In November 2008, he made his professional boxing debut in a boxing event held at the Vanderbilt University Memorial Gymnasium in Nashville. He knocked Ethan Cox out in the second round of the bout.
Deontay Wilder hasn’t been cast in any theatrical film till now.
In August 2012, he made his first TV show appearance in the sports series, Golden Boy Boxing (originally titled as Fight Night Club).
Deontay Wilder has appeared in a TV commercial for Corona Extra. He has also used his social media activity to promote products and brands such as boohooMAN clothing.
Deontay Wilder Favorites
- Favorite Fighter – Muhammad Ali
Deontay Wilder Net worth
Deontay Wilder has an estimated net worth of $30 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Portfolio
- Facebook – Deontay Wilder
- Instagram – bronzebomber
- Twitter – Deontay Wilder
Some Lesser Known Facts About Deontay Wilder
- While studying in high school, he excelled in basketball as well as football. But his circumstances forced him away from both the games and forced him to focus on boxing.
- He officially started his boxing training at the age of 21 in October 2005. He started training under the guidance of Jay Deas at Skyy Boxing Gym in Northport, Alabama.
- He got his first big breakthrough in 2007 as he managed to produce an upset by overcoming tournament favorite to claim the National Golden Gloves. He also went on to defeat cadet world champion Isiah Thomas and David Thompson in the tournament.
- At the US Championships in 2007, he managed to defeat tournament favorite, Quantis Graves. In the finals, he overcame James Zimmerman to further cement his reputation as one of the most promising boxers.
- At the 2008 Olympics, he managed to reach the semi-finals of the heavyweight discipline, where he was defeated by Italian boxer, Clemente Russo. He ended with a bronze medal at the Olympics debut.
- By October 2012, he was attracting a lot of attention because of his sterling performances in the professional circuit. He had earned a 25-fight win streak with all the matches won by knockouts within 4 rounds.
- In December 2012, he claimed his first professional title as he won WBC Continental Americas heavyweight title after having sent Kelvin Price crashing into ropes and then down on the floor with viciously struck right-handed punch in the third round.
- In January 2015, he became the WBC heavyweight champion after having defeated the reigning champion Bermane Stiverne. He also managed to win over critics as the fight lasted for 12 rounds and he proved that he had the technical ability and stamina to last the distance.
- In February 14, 2017, Wilder won $7 million plus legal fees after taxes, in court, over the cancellation of the fight.
- In May 2019, Wilder is ranked as the world’s second best active heavyweight by BoxRec, and third best by the Transnational Boxing Rankings Board and The Ring magazine.