Tom Hanks is a American actor and filmmaker who has won two consecutive Academy Awards for Best Actor for his performances in Philadelphia and Forrest Gump, respectively. He’s one of the highest paid and richest actors in Hollywood with his movies having grossed over $9 billion at worldwide box-office. He first gained fame through his extraordinary performance in the comedy film, Splash. He further catapulted to stardom with his roles in movies such as Saving Private Ryan, Catch Me If You Can, Captain Phillips, Saving Mr. Banks, The Da Vinci Code, Sully, The Post, to name a few.
Thomas Jeffrey Hanks
Birthday / Date of Birth
Tom Hanks was born on the 9th of July 1956, in Concord, California, United States.
He’s currently 66 years old.
His ancestry is Portuguese and American.
The Democratic Party of United States
Tom educated at Skyline High School in Oakland. After finishing high school, he continued his schooling at Chabot College in Hayward, where he studied theater. He then moved to California State University from where he later dropped out.
- Father – Amos Mefford Hanks (Itinerant Cook)
- Mother – Janet Marylyn (Frager; Hospital Worker)
- Siblings – Sandra Hanks (Older Sister; Writer), Larry Hanks (Older Brother; Professor) and Jim Hanks (Younger Brother; Actor and Filmmaker).
Girlfriend / Spouse
Tom Hanks has dated –
- Samantha Lewes (1975–1987) – In January 1975, Tom commenced dating the American actress Samantha Lewes. After 3 years of being in a relationship, Tom and Samantha got married on January 24, 1978. In August 1985, the couple got separated and two years later in March 1987, they officially divorced. Hanks and Lewes have two children – Colin Lewes (born on November 24, 1977) and Elizabeth Ann (born on May 17, 1982).
- Rita Wilson (1985–Present) – Tom first met the American actress Rita Wilson on the set of the TV series Bosom Buddies (1980 – 1982). They started dating in September 1985. After three years of being in a relationship, the couple crowned their love and got married on April 30, 1988. Tom and Rita have two children – Chester Marlon (born on August 4, 1990) and Truman Theodore (born on December 26, 1995).
- In feet – 6 feet
- In centimeters – 183 cm
- In meters – 1.83 m
- In Kilograms -78 kg
- In Pounds – 171 lbs
He wears a size 11 (US) shoe.
Robert Langdon in the movies Da Vinci Code,Angels & Demons and Inferno, Forrest Gump in the movie Forrest Gump
In 1998, Hanks made his acting debut as Elliot in the American slasher film, He Knows Your’re Alone, which was directed by Armand Mastroianni.
In 1980. Tom first acting role ever in a television show came, when he was cast as Rick Martin in an episode of the comedy television series, The Love Boat.
Hanks has done endorsement work for The National World War II Memorial and The Nature Conservancy.
Tom Hanks Net worth
Tom Hanks has a estimated net worth of $400 million dollars as of 2023.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Tom Hanks
- Tom was offered a role in the Tom Cruise movie Jerry Maguire (1996).
- Hanks is a huge supporter of the baseball team Cleveland Indians.
- He is a great fan of the F.C Aston Villa.
- Entertainment Weekly voted Tom as the 26th Greatest Movie Star.
- After 14 years of their divorce, his first wife Samantha Lewes passed away. She was diagnosed with cancer.
- Hanks is suffering from diabetes mellitus type 2.
- He is a supporter of the same-sex marriage.
- At a young age, he wanted to become an astronaut. He is a supporter of NASA’s program.
- He is a member of NSS (National Space Society).
- Tom won the Douglas S. Morrow Public Outreach Award in 2006. The award was given by the Space Foundation.
- Hanks received the Distinguished Public Service Award, the United States Navy’s highest civilian honor, on Veterans Day 1999 for his work in the epic Saving Private Ryan.
- He was awarded a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 7000 Hollywood Boulevard in Hollywood, California on June 1, 1992.
- In 2002, Tom was honoured with the American Film Institute’s Life Achievement Award, presented by Steven Spielberg. He became the youngest recipient of this prestigious honour.
- His favorite baseball team is the Cleveland Indians.
- He was inducted into the United States Army Rangers Hall of Fame in June 2006.
- Tom is good friends with Julia Roberts, Steven Spielberg, Ron Howard, Denzel Washington and Frances McDormand.
- He made his Broadway debut in 2013 in Ephron’s play, Lucky Guy, which earned him a nomination for the Tony Award for Best Actor in a Play.
- In 2014, Hanks received a Kennedy Center Honor and, two years later, he received a Presidential Medal of Freedom from President Barack Obama.
- He converted to the Greek Orthodox Church before marrying his second wife Rita Wilson.
- In 2016, Hanks was conferred with the French Legion of Honor, for his presentation of World War II and support of World War II veterans, along with Tom Brokaw, retired NBC anchor, and Nick Mueller, President of the WWII Museum, New Orleans.
- In 2017, Tom played the titular character in the YouTube animated web-series, The Musical World of Mr. Zoink.