Shakira is a Colombian singer, songwriter, dancer, businesswoman and philanthropist. Her first studio albums, Magia and Peligro, failed to attain commercial success in the 1990s however she rose to prominence in Latin America with her major label debut, Pies Descalzos and her fourth album, Dónde Están los Ladrones?. As of 2001, Shakira had sold over 10 million albums alone in Latin America.
Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll
Singer, Songwriter, Dancer, Record Producer, Entrepreneur
Pop, Latin Pop, Folk, Rock En Español, Dance, World
Vocals, Percussion, Guitar, Drums, Harmonica
Columbia, Epic, Live Nation, RCA Records, Sony Music Latin
Birthday / Date of Birth
Shakira was born on the 2nd of February 1977, in Barranquilla, Colombia.
She is currently 45 years old.
Her ancestry is Colombian and Lebanese with some Spanish and Italian.
Shakira attended La Ensenanza School in Barranquilla and other Catholic schools. Later, she got admission at UCLA, where she studied History of Western Civilization course. As a hobby, in 2020, Shakira completed her Ancient Philosophy course from the University of Pennsylvania.
- Father – William Mebarak Chadid
- Mother – Nidia Ripoll
- Siblings – She’s the only child.
Boyfriend / Spouse
Shakira has dated-
- Antonio de la Rúa (2000-2011) – In 2000, Shakira started dating Antonio (is a Lawyer and Oldest son of former Argentine President Fernando De la Rúa) and this relationship went long for 11 years. Antonio proposed Shakira in March 2001 and they started living together as married couples. But, this relationship also saw an end in August 2010. This separation was told by Shakira on January 10, 2011.
- Gerard Pique (2011-2022) – On March 29, 2011, Shakira told about her new boyfriend via Twitter, who is a Spanish footballer and plays at center back for FC Barcelona. On January 22, 2013, Shakira gave birth to a baby boy, named Milan Piqué Mebarak in Barcelona, Spain where they live. Later, on January 29, 2015, the couple welcomed the second child, son Sasha Piqué i Mebarak. In June 2022, the couple confirmed that they had separated after dating for almost 11 years as Shakira had found Gerard cheating on her with another woman.
- In feet – 5 feet 2 inches
- In centimeters – 157 cm
- In meters – 1.57 m
- In Kilograms – 53 kg
- In Pounds – 117 lbs
- Measurements – 33-24-34
- Bust – 33 inches
- Waist – 24 inches
- Hip – 34 inches
- Bra Size – 32B
She’s naturally Brown, but she loves to dye her hair blonde.
She wears a size 7 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 5 (US).
Shakira catapulted to fame in English speaking countries with her fifth album, Laundry Service. The album spawned hit single Whenever, Wherever, which went on to become her one of the most popular singles of all time, and having sold 3.5 million copies in USA. This album is her best selling album till date with a worldwide sale in excess of 20 million copies, yielding her over $4 million.
On June 24, 1991, Shakira released her debut album, Magia via Sony Music Colombia. She was just 13 years old during the release of the album, and it included songs she had written since she was eight.
In 2012, Shakira appeared as herself in a documentary film titled Shakira: The Documentary Film.
In 1996, Shakira made her small screen debut with the television film El Oasis in which she played the role of Luisa Maria.
Shakira has endorsed brands like Reebok, Panasonic, Crest, Oral B etc.
- Favorite Actor – Hugh Grant
- Favorite Author – Oriana Fallaci
- Favorite Book – “The Prophet” by Khalil Gibran
- Favorite Perfume – Issey Miyake Perfume
- Favorite Band – U2, The Police, Soda Stereo
- Favorite Music Type – Merengue
- Favorite Song – With or Without You (U2)
- Favorite Color – Black
- Favorite Food – Pancakes
Shakira Net worth
Shakira has a net worth of $300 million dollars as of 2023. She earns her net worth from record sales, concert tours, endorsements and other business activities. She splits her time between her luxurious houses in Barcelona, Spain and Miami, Florida. She also owns several houses in Bahamas, Barranquilla, Colombia. She owns Audi A7.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shakira
- Shakira is fluent in Spanish (her native language) English and Portuguese. She also speaks some Italian, Arabic and French.
- She began belly dancing in school.
- Shakira has sold over 60 million records worldwide over the course of her music career.
- She founded the Pies Descalzos (Barefoot) Foundation when she was 18 years old, which aim at providing education and nutrition to underprivileged children Colombia and other poor countries.
- Mattel has made many Barbie Dolls based on Shakira’s look.
- John Lennon’s music greatly influenced Shakira.
- She has won numerous awards including two Grammys, eight Latin Grammys, and several World Music Awards, American Music Awards and Billboard Music Awards.
- She fired her beauty staff after deciding that she had become too obsessed with her appearance.
- She was ranked #76 on FHM’s “100 Sexiest Women in the World 2005” list.
- She was ranked #38 on Maxim’s Hot 100 Women of 2007 list.
- She has three dogs: Coquito, Chan and Gordita.
- She received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame located at 6270 Hollywood Blvd.
- In 2010, she launched her own range of beauty products called S by Shakira.
- In 2011, she was featured at #18 in Men’s Health magazine’s 100 Hottest Women of All Time.
- In 2011, Shakira was honored at the Latin Grammys as 2011’s Latin Recording Academy Person of the Year.
- In October 2011, she was named a member of President Obama’s Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics.
- In 2014, Shakira became the first musical act to perform three times at the FIFA World Cup.
- Shakira usually release her songs in both English and Spanish.
- In 2017, she was the only artist listed as one of the world’s greatest leaders by Fortune, ranked at 27th.
- In January 2018, Shakira won her third Grammy Award for Best Latin Pop Album for El Dorado, making her the only female Latin artist to do so.
- In February 2020, she and Jennifer Lopez performed for the Super Bowl LIV halftime show.
- In January 2021, Shakira sold her catalog of 145 songs to Hipgnosis Songs Fund. The company did not disclose the financial details of the sale.
- On 11 January 2023, Shakira released Shakira: Bzrp Music Sessions, Vol. 53 as a collaboration with Argentine DJ Bizarrap.