Shakira is a Colombian singer, songwriter, dancer, businesswoman and philanthropist. Shakira’s first studio albums, Magia and Peligro, failed to attain commercial success in the 1990s however she rose to prominence in Latin America with her major label debut, Pies Descalzos and her fourth album, Dónde Están los Ladrones?. As of 2001, she had sold over 10 million albums alone in Latin America.
Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll
Singer, Songwriter, Dancer, Record Producer, Entrepreneur
Pop, Latin Pop, Folk, Rock En Español, Dance, World
Vocals, Percussion, Guitar, Drums, Harmonica
Columbia, Epic, Live Nation, RCA Records, Sony Music Latin
Birthday / Date of Birth
Shakira was born on February 2, 1977 in Barranquilla, Colombia.
She is currently 42 years old.
Her ancestry is Colombian and Lebanese with some Spanish and Italian.
Shakira attended La Ensenanza School in Barranquilla and other Catholic schools. Later, She got admission at UCLA, where she studied History of Western Civilization course.
- Father – William Mebarak Chadid
- Mother – Nidia Ripoll
- Siblings – She’s the only child.
Boyfriend / Spouse
- Antonio de la Rúa (2000-2011) – In 2000, Shakira started dating Antonio (is a Lawyer and Oldest son of former Argentine President Fernando De la Rúa) and this relationship went long for 11 years. Antonio proposed Shakira in March 2001 and they started living together as married couples. But, this relationship also saw an end in August 2010. This separation was told by Shakira on January 10, 2011.
- Gerard Pique (2011-Present) – On March 29, 2011, Shakira told about her new boyfriend via Twitter, who is a Spanish footballer and plays at center back for FC Barcelona. On January 22, 2013, Shakira gave birth to a baby boy, named Milan Piqué Mebarak in Barcelona, Spain where they live. Later, on January 29, 2015, the couple welcomed the second child, son Sasha Piqué i Mebarak.
- In feet – 5 feet 2 inches
- In centimeters – 157 cm
- In meters – 1.57 m
- In Kilograms – 53 kg
- In Pounds – 117 lbs
- Measurements – 34-24-37
- Bust – 34 inches
- Waist – 24 inches
- Hip – 37 inches
- Bra Size – 32B
She’s naturally Brown, but she loves to dye her hair blonde.
She wears a size 7 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 4 (US).
- Shakira catapulted to fame in English speaking countries with her fifth album, “Laundry Service”. The album spawned hit single ‘Whenever, Wherever’, which went on to become her one of the most popular singles of all time, and having sold 3.5 million copies in USA. This album is her best selling album till date with a worldwide sale in excess of 20 million copies, yielding her over $4 million.
- She is best known for her dancing moves and belly dancing.
- Her signature single ‘Hips Don’s Lie’ from the album “Oral Fixation, Vol. 2” is still considered to be one of her best works till date. It peaked at No. 1 on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 and also reached the No. 1 spot in 55 other countries.
- Shakira’s most popular work, “Waka Waka (This Time for Africa)”, the official song for the 2010 FIFA World Cup, and the biggest-selling World Cup song of all time what with 10 million downloads and 1.6 billion views on YouTube.
Shakira released her debut album, “Magia”, on June 24, 1991 via Sony Music Colombia. She was just 13 years old during the release of the album, and it included songs she had written since she was eight. It failed commercially. Even her second album “Peligro” didn’t do well. Her big break came in 1995 with the release of her third Latin album, “Pies Descalzos”. The album was well-received by the listeners, debuting at number one in eight different countries. In USA, it debuted at #180 on the U.S. Billboard 200 while it managed to reach number five on the U.S. Billboard Top Latin Albums chart. The album spawned six hit singles and soon after the release of the album, she went on the Tour Pies Descalzos to promote her album.
Shakira has released eleven studio albums till date –
- Magia (1991)
- Peligro (1993)
- Pies Descalzos (1995)
- Dónde Están los Ladrones? (1998)
- Laundry Service (2001)
- Fijación Oral, Vol. 1 (2005)
- Oral Fixation, Vol. 2 (2005)
- She Wolf (2009)
- Sale el Sol (2010)
- Shakira (2014)
- El Dorado (2017)
In 2012, Shakira appeared as herself in a documentary film titled “Shakira: The Documentary Film”.
She made her small screen debut with the television film “El Oasis” in 1996, in which she played the role of Luisa Maria.
She has endorsed brands like Reebok, Panasonic, Crest, Oral B etc.
- Favorite Actor – Hugh Grant
- Favorite Color – Black
- Favorite Sport – Skateboarding and Frisbee
- Favorite Author – Oriana Fallaci
- Favorite Book – “The Prophet” by Khalil Gibran
- Favorite Perfume – Issey Miyake Perfume
- Favorite Sweets – Chocolate balls
- Favorite Fruit – Mango
- Favorite Flowers – Daisy, Sunflower
- Favorite Animal – Horse
- Favorite Song – With or Without You (U2)
- Favorite TV Programs – Scrubs (2001-2010), It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia (2005)
- Favorite Food – Pancakes
- Favorite Band – U2, The Police, Soda Stereo
- Favorite Music Type – Merengue
Shakira Net worth
Shakira has a net worth of $300 million dollars as of 2019. She earns her net worth from record sales, concert tours, endorsements and other business activities. She splits her time between her luxurious houses in Barcelona, Spain and Miami, Florida. She also owns several houses in Bahamas, Barranquilla, Colombia. She owns Audi A7.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shakira
- She is fluent in Spanish (her native language) English and Portuguese. She also speaks some Italian, Arabic and French.
- She began belly dancing in school.
- Shakira has sold over 60 million records worldwide over the course of her music career.
- She has won numerous awards including two Grammys, eight Latin Grammys, and several World Music Awards, American Music Awards and Billboard Music Awards.
- She founded the Pies Descalzos (Barefoot) Foundation when she was 18 years old, which aim at providing education and nutrition to underprivileged children Colombia and other poor countries.
- Mattel has made many Barbie Dolls based on Shakira’s look.
- John Lennon’s music greatly influenced Shakira.
- She fired her beauty staff after deciding that she had become too obsessed with her appearance.
- She was ranked #76 on FHM’s “100 Sexiest Women in the World 2005” list.
- She was ranked #38 on Maxim’s Hot 100 Women of 2007 list.
- In October 2011, Shakira was named a member of President Obama’s Advisory Commission on Educational Excellence for Hispanics.
- Shakira served as coach on the 4th and 6th season of NBC’s hit reality series, “The Voice”.
- She has three dogs: Coquito, Chan and Gordita.
- She received a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame located at 6270 Hollywood Blvd.
- In 2010, she launched her own range of beauty products called S by Shakira.
- She was featured at #18 in Men’s Health magazine’s “100 Hottest Women of All Time” in 2011.
- In 2011, Shakira was honored at the Latin Grammys as 2011’s Latin Recording Academy Person of the Year.
- In 2014, Shakira became the first musical act to perform three times at the FIFA World Cup.
- Shakira usually release her songs in both English and Spanish.
- In 2017, she was the only artist listed as one of the world’s greatest leaders by Fortune, ranked at 27th.
- Visit her official website @ shakira.com.