Prabhu Deva is an Indian dance choreographer, film director, producer and actor who has worked predominantly in Tamil, Hindi and Telugu language films. In a career spanning 25 years, he has performed and designed a wide range of dancing styles and has garnered two National Film Awards for Best Choreography. He was also awarded the Padma Shri award in 2019 for his contributions to the art.
Dancer, Choreographer, Film Director, Producer, Actor
Birthday / Date of Birth
Prabhu Deva was born on the 3rd of April 1973, in Mysore, Karnataka, India.
He’s currently 46 years old.
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
Prabhu studied at the Asan Memorial Senior Secondary School in Chennai. He got training in Bharatanatyam (an Indian classical dance form) from, Dharmaraj and Udupi Lakshminarayanan. He dropped out of his school and assisted his father in dance choreography in the South-Indian films.
- Father – Mugur Sundar (Dance Choreographer)
- Mother – Mahadevamma Sundar
- Siblings – Raju Sundaram (Older Brother) (Dance Choreographer, Actor, Director), Nagendra Prasad (Younger Brother) (Dance Choreographer, Actor)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Prabhu Deva has dated –
- Ramlath (1995-2011) – Prabhu was in a relationship with his co-dancer Ramlath. They both were in a live-in relationship and secretly got married in 1995. Ramlath was a Muslim girl and converted to a Hindu for their marriage. She even changed her name from Ramlath to Latha. Later, they were blessed with three sons, Vishal, Rishi Raghavendra Deva and Adhith Deva. In 2008, their eldest son, Vishal died after struggling with cancer for a long time. On 2 July 2010, the couple got divorced.
- Nayanthara (2009-2012) – Nayanthara and professional dancer and choreographer Prabhu Deva dating one another started to surface in 2009. However, they kept their relationship a secret until 2010, when Prabhu himself stated that he was in love with Nayanthara. Later, Prabhu’s statement about wanting to marry Nayanthara was heard by his first wife Latha who then, filed a case against him to restrict him from marrying her. Nayanthara went into a huge amount of debt and finally in 2012, the duo announced that they were no more together.
- In feet – 6 feet 0 inches
- In centimeters –182 cm
- In meters – 1.82 m
- In Kilograms – 75 kg
- In Pounds – 165 lbs
His shoe size is 11.5 (US).
Prabhu father is a well known choreographer of South Indian films. He got inspiration to work as a choreographer from his father, so he started assisting his father and accompanied him on the sets of films. Some of his popular choreographed songs are Muqabala Muqabala (Hum Se Hai Muqabla, 1994), Urvashi Urvashi (Hum Se Hai Muqabla, 1994) Kay Sera Sera (Pukar, 2000).
Prabhu started his career as a choreographer in Tamil films with Vetri Vizha (1989). He has worked as a dance choreographer in more than 100 Hindi and regional films before making an appearance on the big screen.
In 1994, he made his acting debut with the film Indhu alongside actress Roja who played the titular character. He has acted in many Hindi, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam and Kannada films. Some of his films as an actor are ABCD (2013), Lakshmi (2018), Pon Manickavel (2019) and Street Dancer (2020).
Prabhu wife, Latha, filed a petition at the family court, seeking orders to prevent her husband from entering into a live-in relationship with his alleged girlfriend Nayanthara. Moreover, Latha threatened to go on a hunger strike if her demand wasn’t met. Several women organizations conducted protests against Nayanthara for bringing disrepute to the Tamil culture.
Prabhu has appeared in commercials for various brands such as- Minister White & TVS (Alongside MS Dhoni).
Awards & Nominations
|1996||National Film Award||Minsara Kanavu||Tamil||Best Choreography||Won|
|2004||National Film Award||Lakshya||Hindi||Best Choreography||Won|
|2005||Filmfare Award||Lakshya||Hindi||Best Choreography||Won|
|2004||Nandi Award||Varsham||Telugu||Best Choreography||Won|
|2005||Filmfare Awards South||Nuvvostanante Nenoddantana||Telugu||Best Choreography||Won|
|2007||Vijay Awards||Pokkiri||Tamil||Favorite Director||Won|
Prabhu Deva Favorites
- Favorite Actor – Chiranjeevi
- Favorite Actress – Madhuri Dixit
- Favorite Dancer – Hrithik Roshan, Michael Jackson
- Favorite Director – S. Shankar, K. Balachande, Dasari Narayana Rao, K. Raghavendra Rao
- Favorite Sport – Cricket
Prabhu Deva Net worth
Prabhu Deva has an estimated net worth of $18 million dollars as of 2020.
Social Media Profiles
- Facebook – Prabhu Deva
- Instagram – prabhudeva
- Twitter – Prabhu Deva
- YouTube Channel – Prabhudeva Studios
Some Lesser Known Facts About Prabhu Deva
- Prabhu is a famous choreographer, director, producer and actor in India.
- Prabhu’s father won the National Award for choreography in 1994. Inspired by his father, he developed an interest in dancing at a very young age.
- At the age of 11, he appeared for the first time on a stage.
- As a choreographer, Prabhu made his debut in Vetri Vizha (1989). It featured brilliant actors like Kamal Hassan, Prabhu and Amala Mukherjee.
- It is said that Kamal has choreographed dances in more than a hundred films.
- In 1996, he was awarded the National Film Award in Best Choreography. Later, in 2004, Prabhu received the award for the 2nd time.
- In the past, he started a dance studio in Singapore under the name Prabhudeva Dance Academy.
- Prabhu is often referred to as an Indian rendition of legendary pop sensation Michael Jackson.
- He is one of the few celebrities who is honoured with a wax statue at the celebrity wax statue Museum, Lonavala, Mumbai.
- He has been featured on the cover of various magazines including Ritz.
- In 2010, he started a dance school in Singapore.
- India Forbes had ranked him at #90 on its 2013 Celebrity 100 list with an estimated earning of INR 8.5 crore.
- In 2013, he had planned on releasing a video album titled It Is Boring.
- He directed Britannia‘s 2012 commercial for Tiger biscuits.
- The YouTube channel, Prabhudeva Studios was started in June 2016.
- In 2019, Prabhu was given the prestigious Padma Shri award for his incredible talent and contribution.