Pope Benedict XVI served as Pope and sovereign of the Vatican City State from 2005 until his resignation in 2013. Benedict’s election occurred in the 2005 papal conclave that followed the death of Pope John Paul II. The Vatican announced his post-papal title as Pope Emeritus shortly after his resignation.
Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger
June 29, 1951
April 19, 2005
February 28, 2013
Birthday / Date of Birth
Joseph Aloisius Ratzinger was born on 16th April 1927, in Marktl Am Inn, Germany.
He is currently 92 year sold.
Mater Ecclesiae, Vatican City
- School – The Higher School in Freising, Bavaria, Germany
- College/University – The University of Munich
- Qualification – Doctorate in Theology at the University of Munich in 1953
- Father – Joseph Ratzinger (a police officer)
- Mother – Maria Ratzinger (a hotel cook before marriage)
- Siblings – Georg (Priest), Maria (Priest)
- In feet – 5 feet 7 inches
- In centimeters – 170 cm
- In meters – 1.70 m
- In Kilograms – 70 kg
- In Pounds – 154 lbs
His body statistics are unknown.
- 1959-1969: Taught Theology at different colleges of Germany and also served as the Vice President of the University of Regensburg in Germany; where he was serving as the Professor of Theology.
- 1977: On May 28, consecrated by Josef Stangl and named as Archbishop of Munich and Freising.
- 1977: On June 27, Pope Paul VI appointed him Cardinal.
- 1981: On November 25, became the President of Pontifical International Theological Commission and of the Biblical Commission.
- 2002: After getting the post of Vice Dean, he became the Dean of the College of Cardinals on November 30.
- 2005: On April 19, one hundred fifteen cardinals elected him 265th Pope after the death of Pope John Paul II.
- 2006: On January 25, issued his first encyclical on the subjects like charity, love and politics, etc.
- 2006: In September, Benedict (quoting from a book) gives an account of a conversation between 14th century Byzantine Christian Emperor Manuel Paleologos II and an educated Persian; on the topic of the truth of Islam and Christianity that caused protest and violence in different parts of the Muslim world. He apologized for this offence to the Muslim Community.
- 2012: On May 26, he was accused for leaking documents to journalist Gianluigi Nuzzi; author of “Sua Santita.”
Pope Benedict XVI Net worth
- Salary (As Pope’s Pension) $3,300
- Net Worth (approx.) $3,300
Pope Benedict XVI Favorites
- Favorite Food – Bavarian Potato Ravioli with Pancake Strips
Some Lesser Known Facts About Pope Benedict XVI
- On June 9, 2007, he met the US President, George W Bush for the first time and discussed about Muslim relations and AIDS. On October 28, he beatified 498 victims of the Spanish Civil War (the largest mass beatification in history).
- On April 18, 2008, he delivered an important speech to the United Nations General Assembly and addressed the issues like environment, human rights, freedom of conscience and the religious tolerance.
- In his childhood, he got inspired to become a cardinal after meeting a cardinal in his town and expressed his desire to become a cardinal to his father.
- By the age of twelve, he started studying priesthood.
- Since his childhood, he was very passionate towards music and also learnt piano. He likes classical and folk music; especially of Beethoven, Mozart and Bach.
- Pope spent most of his childhood in ‘Traunstein,’ a town in Bavaria.
- ”The Marktl Am Inn,” the birth place of Pope, is now open for public.
- During his youth, he experienced the hostile attitude of the Nazi regime against Catholic Church and saw the cruel incidents of Parish priests’ beating by the Nazis.
- Due to an infected finger, he could not learn to use ammunitions and deserted The German Army in 1945.
- He has authored more than sixty books, and his first book- ”Theological Highlights of Vatican II,” was published in 1966.
- In 2006, Vatican Radio gave him an iPod nano on his 75th birthday. The same year, he visited Auschwitz to pray for the Holocaust victims.
- In 2007, Esquire magazine gave him the title ”Accessorizer of the Year” and chose him ‘Best-Dressed Man of 2013’ in the world.
- On April 26, 2009, he gave new names to the saints-Caterina Volpicelli, Nuno Alvares Pereira,Gertrude Comensoli,Rev Arcangelo Tadini and Bernardo Tolomei.
- In May 2009, he made his first trip to Jordan and Israel.
- On August 3, 2009, he signed a record deal with Geffen Records, and on November 23, he released his first album “Alma Mater.”
- On November 21, 2012,”Jesus of Nazareth: The Infancy Narratives” was released, and within minutes, Pope had thousands of followers on his twitter account.
- In November, 2016, his famous creation “Last Testament: In His Own Words,” was released.
- He is the oldest person to be elected as Pope since 1730.
- He knows Spanish, Italian, German, French, Latin, English.
- He sometimes flies the papal helicopter but doesn’t know how to drive a car.
- He loves cats and has provided shelter to one found in Rome.
- He is the first Pope having an iPod.
- His favorite dress is Red Loafers, Prada Shoes, Red Hat and Serengeti Sunglasses.
- He expressed his affection and gave blessings to his loving people and showed reverence to the future Pope on February 28, 2013, the last day of his Papacy.
- Benedict XVI is the fifth-oldest pope at election (elected at age 78 years, 3 days).