Jon Jones is an American professional mixed martial artist, who is signed with the Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC). Widely regarded as one of the greatest mixed martial artists, he is the current and two time undisputed UFC Light Heavyweight Champion. He has been champion since December 29, 2018 and previously held the title from March 20, 2011, to April 28, 2015. Jones also held the interim UFC Light Heavyweight Championship.
At age 23, with his victory over Maurício Rua in 2011, Jones became the youngest champion since the UFC instituted weight classes. He holds many UFC records in the light heavyweight division, including the most title defenses, most wins, longest win streak, and most submission victories. During much of his championship reign, Jones has been widely considered to be the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. As of August 19, 2019, he is #1 in the UFC men’s pound-for-pound rankings.
Jonathan Dwight Jones
Professional Mixed Martial Artist
84.5 in or 215 cm
Birthday / Date of Birth
Jon Jones was born on the 19th of July 1987, in Rochester, New York, United States.
He’s currently 32 years old.
Ithaca, New York, United States
He is of African-American descent.
Jon attended the Union-Endicott High School situated in uptown New York, where he was an outstanding high school wrestler and state champion. He went to Iowa Central Community College and won a national JUCO championship. After transferring to Morrisville State College to study Criminal Justice, he dropped out of college to begin his Mixed Martial Arts (MMA) career.
- Father – Unknown
- Mother – Unknown
- Siblings – Arthur Jones (Older Brother) (Former NFL Player), Chandler Jones (Younger Brother) (NFL Player)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Jon Jones has dated –
- Jessie Moses – Jon met Jessie Moses in high school and they began dating soon after. After graduation, Jones left for Iowa Central Community College and Moses attended Broome Community College in New York but the relationship survived the distance. Jones got engaged to Jessie Moses during Easter of 2013 but the actual details about their wedding have not been confirmed as of September 2019. They have 3 daughters together named Leah (b. 2008), Carmen Nicole (b. 2009) who was named after Jones’s sister who died of brain cancer and Olivia Haven (b. 2013).
- In feet – 6 feet 4 inches
- In centimeters – 193 cm
- In meters – 1.93 m
- In Kilograms – 93 kg
- In Pounds – 205 lbs
His shoe size is 12.5 (US).
Jones is the youngest UFC champion in the UFC history. He is regarded as one of the greatest professional fighters of all-time and ranks at number 3 in UFC pound for pound rankings and he has never been defeated for a championship in MMA competition.
UFC Match Debut
Jones debuted in UFC in a match against Brazilian fighter Andre Gusmão at UFC 87 on August 9, 2008, in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Though Jones was only given a two-week notice since he was only a replacement fighter for Tomasz Drwal at the time, he showed off an impressive performance with his takedowns and unorthodox striking such as spinning elbows and back kicks. He won the fight via a unanimous decision victory.
In 2011, Apart from the broadcast of his MMA matches, he made his television show debut as Himself on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno.
Jon has endorsed brands such as, Reebok, MuscleTech, Gat Supplements, Gatorade & Nike.
Jon Jones Favorites
- Favorite Athlete – LeBron James
- Favorite Pets – Cat
- Favorite Food – Sushi
- Favorite Destination – Paris
Jon Jones Net worth
Jon Jones has an estimated net worth of $10 million dollars as of 2020.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Jon Jones
- Before signing up with Ultimate Fighting Championship (UFC), he acquired his last victory after defeating Moyses Gabin at BCX 5 for the USKBA Light Heavyweight Championship, during which he won via TKO in the 2nd round.
- In his early career, Jon Jones fought with some of the strongest opponents who were considered veteran MMA fighters at the time including Stephan Bonnar, Jake O’Brien, Matt Hamill, Brandon Vera and Vladimir Matyushenko.
- In April 12, 2008, in Boxborough, Massachusetts, Jon Jones made his professional debut in an FFP: Untamed 20 catchweight (210 lbs) bout against Brad Bernard and won the match in the first round via technical knockout.
- In August 2008, he made his UFC debut against Andre Gusmao at UFC 87, where he won via unanimous decision.
- In September 2009, Jones was rewarded for his victories by signing a new, four-fight contract with the UFC.
- In December 5, 2009, he was disqualified against Matt Hamill at The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights Finale.
- In March 2010, Jones won the Knockout of the Night award against Brandon Vera, where he won via TKO.
- On August 1, 2010, Jones defeated former IFL Light Heavyweight Champion Vladimir Matyushenko by TKO with elbows in 1:52 of the first round at UFC Live: Jones vs. Matyushenko.
- On August 8, 2012, Jones became the first mixed martial artist to be sponsored by Nike on an international scale. He is also the first MMA fighter to have his own shoe line. Jones was the first MMA fighter to represent Gatorade and MuscleTech in the Octagon.
- On December 16, 2014, Jones announced that he had signed a sponsorship deal with Reebok.
- On April 29, 2015, Reebok terminated their sponsorship following Jones’s involvement in a hit-and-run incident. A day later, Jones also lost his sponsorship with MuscleTech.
- In 2017, he faced the third suspension after USADA confirmed his test positive for Turinabol. His recently re-captured UFC Light Heavyweight Championship winning against Daniel Cormier was stripped off.
- In August 19, 2019, Jon is #1 in the UFC men’s pound-for-pound rankings.