John Legend is an American singer, songwriter and actor. Prior to the release of Legend’s debut album, he collaborated with already established artists. At various points in his career, Legend has sung in Magnetic Man’s “Getting Nowhere”, Kanye West’s “Blame Game”, on Slum Village’s “Selfish”, and Dilated Peoples’ “This Way”. Other collaborative appearances include Jay-Z’s “Encore”, backing vocals on Alicia Keys’ 2003 song “You Don’t Know My Name” and Fort Minor’s “High Road”. Legend played piano on Lauryn Hill’s Everything Is Everything.
John Roger Stephens
Singer, Songwriter, Actor
R&B, Hip Hop, Soul, Gospel
Vocals, Keyboards, Piano
Good Music, Sony Music, Columbia Records
Birthday / Date of Birth
Legend was born on December 28, 1978, in Springfield, Ohio, United States.
He is currently 40 years old.
John Legend received elementary education through homeschooling. He was enrolled at the North High School when he was 12, form where he graduated. After high school, he was offered admission to Harvard University and scholarships to other reputable colleges. But he turned down them and joined the University of Pennsylvania, where he studied English with an emphasis on African-American literature.
- Father – Ronald Stephens (Factory worker and former National Guardsman)
- Mother – Phyllis Stephens
- Siblings – Vaughn Anthony (Younger Brother), Ronald Stephens II (Younger Brother)
Girlfriend / Spouse
John Legend has dated –
- Jessica White (2005) – John dated the beautiful American model Jessica White for a short time.
- Wafah Dufour (2006) – In 2006, John dated the Swiss singer Wafah Dufour. They were together for a short period before they parted ways.
- Danielle Abreu (2006) – John and the Brazilian model Danielle Abreu met in 2006. They were together for a few months before they split up.
- Tayo Otiti (2006) – In 2006, John had an encounter with the Nigerian model Tayo Otiti.
- Christine Teigen (2008–Present) – Legend began dating his wife, model Chrissy Teigen in 2011. The same year, they got engaged in December and married on September 14, 2013 in Como, Italy. They both share a daughter named Luna Simone Stephens (born on April 14, 2016). On November 21, 2017, Teigen announced via Instagram that she was pregnant with the couple’s second child and on January 28, 2018, that their second child would be a boy.
- In feet – 5 feet 9 inches
- In centimeters – 175 cm
- In meters – 1.75 m
- In Kilograms – 71 kg
- In Pounds – 158 lbs
Unfortunately, John’s body statistics are not available at this time.
He wears a size 11.5 (US) shoe.
John is known for winning nine Grammy Awards, one Academy Award and one Golden Globe. He is also known for writing and performing numerous hit songs including Ordinary People, All of Me, You & I, Made to Love and Tonight.
John has struggled a lot throughout his life to get into where he is of today. After graduation, he started off his career performing in local nightclubs in New York and used to hold shows in several cities across the country. His singing career took off when he dropped his debut album, Get Lifted, in December 2004. The album reached number 7 on the US Billboard 200 and also peaked within in the top ten on major music charts through out the world. Selling more than 850,000 copies, the album won the 2006 Grammy Award for Best R&B Album, and earned Legend another two nominal awards for Best New Artist and Best Male R&B Vocal Performance.
John Legend made his film debut in 2008 with Sesame Street: Elmo Loves You! where he played as himself.
In 2000, John appeared in the TV series Curb Your Enthusiasm, where he played the role of John Legend (himself).
John has appeared in a few commercials for Lexus automobiles, Gap Jeans and Chevrolet Impala. He has been part of a print ad for Give Education charitable foundation in association with Communities in Schools.
John Legend Favorites
- Favorite Color – Blue
John Legend Net worth
John Legend has an estimated net worth of $40 million dollars as of 2019. He lives with his family in a ultra luxury mansion of worth $14 million dollars located in Beverly Crest neighborhood, Los Angeles. His three storey house sites on a 8520 square feet of land boasting five bedrooms, eight bathrooms, a billiard with bar, theater, office, gym and swimming pool. Legend owns several cars including a Chevrolet.
Social Media Portfolio
- Facebook – John Legend
- Instagram – johnlegend
- Twitter – John Legend
- YouTube Channel – John Legend
- Snapchat – @johnlegend
Some Lesser Known Facts About John Legend
- John was inclined towards singing at his very young age and started singing at his church choir. At the age of 4, he took piano lessons.
- In college, John served as a president and musical director for the jazz and pop a cappella group Counterparts.
- He has 2 dogs, one French bulldog called Pippa and one English bulldog called Puddy.
- He chose his stage name from an idea that the poet J. Ivy gave him. J. Ivy said that John reminded him of some old school artists (old school legends).
- Legend donated $500,000 to Springfield City School District to renovate an auditorium, which is named in his honor, within the Springfield Center of Innovation.
- Legend received the Hal David Starlight Award from the Songwriters Hall of Fame. In 2017, Legend received a Tony Award for co-producing Jitney for the Broadway stag.
- He sang a duet song along with Ariana Grande for the 2017 film Beauty and the Beast.
- He loves reading, especially biographies and other non-fiction books.
- John has won 31 awards out of 41 nominations, including ten Grammy Awards, two BET Awards, two NAACP Image Awards, five Soul Train Awards and One Golden Globe Award.
- Visit his official website @ johnlegend.com.