Jay-Z is an American rapper, songwriter, producer, entrepreneur, record executive and billionaire. Considered among the best rappers of all time, he is regarded as one of the world’s most significant cultural icons and has been a global figure in popular culture for over two decades. Jay-Z is among the most critically acclaimed musicians and one of the best-selling music artists of all time, with over 100 million records sold worldwide. He has won a total of 22 Grammy Awards, the most by a rapper and holds the record for the most number-one albums by a solo artist on the Billboard 200, with 14. He has been ranked by Billboard and fellow music publication Rolling Stone as one of the 100 greatest artists of all time. In 2017, he became the first rapper to be honored into the Songwriters Hall of Fame and in 2018, received the commemorative Salute to Industry Icons award at the 60th Grammy Awards.
Shawn Corey Carter
S-dot, Young Hov, Jazzy (or Jay-Z), Hova, Jigga, J-Hova, Jiggaman, Iceberg Slim, Lucky Lefty, Joe Camel, Hov
Rapper, Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer, Record Executive, Entrepreneur
Def Jam, Roc-A-Fella, Roc Nation
Birthday / Date of Birth
Jay-Z was born on the December 04, 1969, in Brooklyn, New York, United States.
He’s currently 49 years old.
Tribeca, New York, United States
Shawn Corey Carter attended Eli Whitney High School in Brooklyn. Post that, he went to George Westinghouse Career and Technical Education High School in Downtown Brooklyn. Finally, Corey enrolled himself into Trenton Central High School in Trenton, New Jersey but he did not graduate from that school.
- Father – Adnes Reeves
- Mother – Gloria Carter
- Siblings – Eric Carter (Older Brother), Michelle Carter (Sister), Andrea Carter (Sister)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Jay-Z dated –
- Carmen Bryan (1996) – In 1996, Jay-Z dated American personality, Carmen Bryan.
- Lil’ Kim (1998-2000) – From 1998 to 2000, the two rappers were romantically linked to each other. Lil’ Kim is more than 1 feet shorter than Jay-Z. She stands 4 ft 11 in.
- Aaliyah (1999) – Jay-Z had a short relationship with singer Aaliyah in 1999. She died two years later, after that.
- Rosario Dawson (2000) – He had a fling with actress Rosario Dawson in 2000.
- Shenelle Scott (2000-2001) – Jay-Z met Trinidadian and Tobagonian glamour model during Big Pimpin video shoot in 2000. They dated for a year from 2000 to 2001. It is assumed that he is the father of Shenelle’s child, Isa Jael.
- Blu Cantrell (2001) – The two singers were romantically linked to each other in 2001.
- Beyoncé Knowles (2002-Present) – American singer Beyonce after, many years of dating with Jay-Z married him. They first met each other when they were on a tour in 2002 and soon they started dating. The duo, then engaged in May 2005 and married on April 4, 2008, secretly in New York City. Beyonce gave birth to couple’s first child, a daughter– Blue Ivy Carter (born – January 7, 2012). Later, on June 13, 2017, the couple welcomed twins Rumi Carter (daughter) and Sir Carter (son). Rumi is older than Sir.
- In feet – 6 feet 1½ inches
- In centimeters – 187 cm
- In meters – 1.87 m
- In Kilograms – 85 kg
- In Pounds – 188 lbs
His various albums such as The Blueprint 3 (2009), Vol. 3… Life and Times of S. Carter (1999), In My Lifetime, Vol. 1 (1997) and others.
Jay-Z starred in his debut film Streets Is Watching. The musical film, which is written by Jay-Z himself was released in 1998.
Jay-Z released his debut album Reasonable Doubt on June 25, 1996 in USA via Roc-A-Fella records. It charted at #23 in USA. It got the certification of Platinum in America. Jay-Z sold 1,514,000 copies of the album in U.S.
Budweiser Select, American Red Cross, Reebok (2005), Hewlett-Packard (2006), Ace of Spades, etc.
- Favorite Album (Personal) – Reasonable Doubt
- Favorite Britney Spears Song – Toxic
- Favorite Michael Jackson Song – Human Nature
- Favorite Movies – Cliche (2003), Godfather II (1974), True Romance (1993)
- Favorite Cereal – Cap’n Crunch
- Favorite Pasta – Linguine with clam
Jay-Z Net worth
Jay-Z has a estimated net worth of $1 billion dollars as of 2019. Jay-Z is the first hip-hop artist to become a billionaire.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Jay-Z
- Jay-Z owns a record label company Roc Nation.
- His father left the family when Jay-Z was very young. So, he is primarily raised by his mother.
- In 1982 (when Jay-Z was 12), he shot his older brother in the shoulder for stealing his jewelry.
- He received the nickname Jazzy in his childhood. It gradually turned into Jay-Z. On July 18, 2013, he dropped the hyphen in Jay-Z and now wants to be known as Jay Z.
- He does not like puns.
- He had a great interest in music since childhood and due to that reason, her mother bought him a boom box for his birthday.
- He is the co-owner of his clothing line Rocawear. He also owns a sports bar called 40/40 Club.
- Jaz-O is his musical mentor and that is why Jay-Z adopted the stage name as Jay-Z.
- Jay-Z started his own blog like lifestyle website in April 2011, which covers a wide variety of topics.
- In July 2015, Carter made a significant investment to JetSmarter, an app helping people book private executive plane flights. The app was built by Sergey Petrossov. Jay-Z collaborated with Cohiba to launch his own cigars.
- In 2016, he signed a two-year exclusive film and TV Deal with Weinstein Company and with the deal gives them first-look options to create scripted and unscripted TV projects and film projects and those projects were in works.
- Visit his official website @ lifeandtimes.com.