Grimes is a Canadian singer, songwriter, record producer and visual artist. Grimes began releasing music independently in the late 2000s, releasing two albums, Geidi Primes and Halfaxa in 2010 on Arbutus Records. She subsequently signed with 4AD and rose to fame with the release of her third studio album Visionsin 2012. It produced the singles Genesis and Oblivion and received the Juno Award for Electronic Album of the Year. Her fourth studio album Art Angels received critical praise and was named the best album of the year by several publications.
Claire Elise Boucher
Singer, Songwriter, Record Producer, Visual Artist
Synthpop, Art Pop, Electronica, Experimental Pop, Dream Pop
Vocals, Keyboard, Guitar, Bass, Drums, Violin, Ukulele, Sampler, Synthesizer
Arbutus, 4AD, Roc Nation
Birthday / Date of Birth
Grimes was born on March 17, 1988, in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.
She’s currently 31 years old.
She has Ukrainian, Russian, Italian and Quebecois ancestry.
Grimes attended Lord Byng Secondary School from where she later graduated. In 2006, Boucher relocated from Vancouver to Montreal to attend McGill University, but left the school in early 2011 before finishing her degree.
- Father – Unknown (Executive at a Biotechnology Company)
- Mother – Sandy Garossino (Crown Prosecutor and Editor-in-Chief of the Vancouver Observer, an online publication)
- Siblings – Jay Worthy (Step-Brother)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Grimes has dated –
Grimes has largely opted to keep her personal life away from the public spotlight, which makes it difficult for us to say anything about her love life and dating history.
- In feet – 5 feet 5 inches
- In centimeters – 165 cm
- In meters – 1.65 m
- In Kilograms – 50 kg
- In Pounds – 110 lbs
- Measurements – 30-23-32
- Bust – 30 inches
- Waist – 23 inches
- Hip – 32 inches
- Bra Size – 30A
She wears a size 7 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 3 (US).
Her studio album Visions (2012) and for her singles Genesis and Oblivion.
In 2012, Grimes appeared as Saint-Boniface in the short comedy movie Tabula Rasa.
In 2010, Boucher’s debut album as Grimes, Geidi Primes, a concept album inspired by the Dune series, was released by Arbutus Records on cassette.
In 2012, Grimes made a guest appearance in one episode of the musical talk show Later… With Jools Holland.
She has served as the face of Stella McCartney perfume POP. She has also soundtracked an Expedia commercial.
Awards & Nominations
|2012||Rober Awards Music Poll||Best Female Artist||Grimes||Won|
|Best Pop Artist||Won|
|UK Music Video Awards||Best Alternative Video – International||Oblivion||Nominated|
|Antville Music Video Awards||Video of the Year||Nominated|
|Polaris Music Prize||Best Canada Album of 2012||Visions||Nominated|
|2013||Juno Awards||Electronic Album of the Year||Won|
|Breakthrough Artist of the Year||Grimes||Won|
|Webby Awards||Artist of the Year||Won|
|NME Awards||Best International Artist||Nominated|
|MuchMusic Video Awards||Dance Video of the Year||Genesis||Nominated|
|2014||NME Awards||Best Band Blog or Twitter||Grimes||Nominated|
|2015||Rober Awards Music Poll||Best Female Artist||Nominated|
|Best Pop Artist||Won|
|Song of the Year||Kill V. Maim||Nominated|
|Album of the Year||Art Angels||Nominated|
|MuchMusic Video Awards||Video of the Year||Go||Nominated|
|2016||Video of the Year||Flesh Without Blood||Nominated|
|International Dance Music Awards||Best Alternative/Indie Rock Dance Track||Nominated|
|Best Breakthrough Artist (Solo)||Grimes||Nominated|
|Bazaar Women of the Year||Musician of the Year 2016||Won|
|A2IM Libera Award||Video of the Year||Kill V. Maim||Won|
|Polaris Music Prize||Best Canada Album of 2016||Art Angels||Nominated|
|2017||Webby Awards||Online Film & Video – Music||Nominated|
|Juno Awards||Alternative Album of the Year||Nominated|
|Recording Package of the Year (Art Director)||Nominated|
|Video of the Year (Director)||Kill V. Maim||Won|
|Canadian Independent Music Awards||Single of the Year||Flesh Without Blood||Nominated|
|iHeartRadio Much Music Video Awards||Best EDM/Dance Video||Venus Fly||Won|
|Best Pop Video||Nominated|
|Fan Fave Video||Nominated|
|2018||Juno Awards||Video of the Year||Won|
- Favorite City – Los Angeles (L.A.)
- Favorite Drink- Vodka and Water with Pickle
- Favorite Color – Red / Purple
Grimes Net worth
Grimes has a estimated net worth of $4 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Grimes
- For 11 years, Grimes attended ballet classes.
- At the age of 18, she shifted to Montreal, Quebec.
- She began her music career while at college in 2007.
- In 2009, Boucher and a friend attempted to sail down the Mississippi River to New Orleans from Minneapolis in a houseboat they built.
- In 2010, Grimes released a new album by the name Halfaxa.
- In 2011, she collaborated with DJ/producer Blood Diamonds.
- She penned a deal with the 4AD label in January 2012.
- In January 31, 2012, Grimes released her third album Visions.
- In April 2013, Boucher posted a written statement addressing her experience as a female musician in an industry rife with sexism and expressed disappointment that her feminist stance was often interpreted as anti-male.
- In December 17, 2013, Boucher posted to her Tumblr that she had employed the services of Jay Z’s management company, Roc Nation.
- In June 26, 2014, Grimes premiered her new track Go, produced by and featuring Blood Diamonds. It was a track that had been written for and rejected by Rihanna and was premiered on Zane Lowe’s radio 1 show. Rolling Stone ranked it number fourteen on their Best Songs of 2014 list.
- In 2014, Claire admitted to using the drugs and alcohol which resulted in her losing a lot of friends.
- She and her step-brother Jay Worthy made the song Christmas Song together.
- In March 15, 2015, Grimes and Bleachers released their collaboration, “Entropy” for the HBO TV show Girls.
- In 2017, Grimes won a JUNO Award for Video of the Year, featuring Kill V. Maim.
- In February 2, 2017, Grimes premiered on Tidal the high budget futuristic music video of Venus Fly, starring herself and Janelle Monáe.
- In October 31, 2018, Grimes was featured on Play Destroy by Poppy on her album Am I a Girl?. The collaboration had been hinted at in May 2018 through a series of Instagram postings from both artists.
- In March 19, 2019, Grimes announced via Instagram that her new album will be titled Miss_Anthropocene and will be a concept album about the anthropomorphic Goddess of climate Change… and Each song will be a different embodiement of human extinction as depicted through a pop star Demonology.
- Visit Grimes’ official website @ grimesmusic.com.