Cynthia Erivo is an English actress, singer and songwriter. Erivo is known for her performance as Celie in the Broadway revival of The Color Purple, for which she won the 2016 Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical, the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Musical, the Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album and the Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Musical Performance in a Daytime Program. Erivo ventured into films in 2018, with roles in the heist film Widows and the thriller Bad Times at the El Royale. In 2019, she portrayed abolitionist Harriet Tubman in the biopic Harriet, for which she earned a nominations for an Academy Award, a Golden Globe Award and a Screen Actors Guild Award.
Cynthia Onyedinmanasu Chinasaokwu Erivo
Actress, Singer, Songwriter
R&B, Soul, Urban Contemporary, Gospel, Broadway
Birthday / Date of Birth
Cynthia Erivo was born on the 8th of January 1987, in Stockwell, London, England, United Kingdom.
She’s currently 33 years old.
She is of Nigerian descent.
Cynthia attended La Retraite Roman Catholic Girls’ School. Then, she began a music psychology degree at the University of East London, however a year into her degree, she applied to and subsequently trained at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art.
- Father – Unknown
- Mother – Unknown (Her mother is a Nurse)
- Siblings – Unknown
Boyfriend / Spouse
Cynthia Erivo has dated –
- Dean John-Wilson – Cynthia had previously been in a romantic relationship with actor Dean John-Wilson.
- In feet – 5 feet 1 inches
- In centimeters – 154 cm
- In meters – 1.54 m
- In Kilograms – 55 kg
- In Pounds – 121 lbs
- Measurements – 34-25-35
- Bust – 34 inches
- Waist – 25 inches
- Hip – 35 inches
- Bra Size – 32D
She wears a size 6.5 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 5 (US).
Erivo is known for her performance as Celie in the Broadway revival of The Color Purple, for which she won the 2016 Tony Award for Best Actress in a Musical, the Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Actress in a Musical, the Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album. Erivo had previously portrayed Sister Mary Clarence/Deloris Van Cartier in a UK tour of the stage musical Sister Act, which Goldberg had originated in its film adaptation.
In 2018, She made her theatrical film debut as Belle O’Reilly in the crime drama thriller film, Widows.
In 2015, Cynthia made her first television show appearance as Magdalene on the comedy series, Chewing Gum.
Erivo has endorsed the following brands through her Instagram account- Zadig & Voltaire, Michael Kors, Cubitts, Nicholas Kirkwood & MONSE.
Cynthia Erivo Favorites
- Favorite Gadget – Google Home
- Favorite Jewelry – Jennifer Fisher x Goop Hoop Earrings
- Favorite Perfume – Jo Malone London Myrrh and Tonka Cologne Intense
- Favorite Books – Children of Blood and Bone (Legacy of Orisha) by Tomi Adeyemi
- Favorite Workout Costume – Nike Epic Lux Crop Leggings
- Favorite Tea – Traditional Medicinals Organic Peppermint Tea
- Favorite Destination – Paris
- Favorite Food – Sea Food
Cynthia Erivo Net worth
Cynthia Erivo has an estimated net worth of $3 million dollars as of 2020.
Social Media Profiles
- Facebook – Cynthia Erivo
- Instagram – cynthiaerivo
- Twitter – Cynthia Erivo
Some Lesser Known Facts About Cynthia Erivo
- Her first stage role was in Marine Parade by Simon Stephens at the Brighton Festival.
- Her first musical role was in John Adams’ and June Jordan’s I Was Looking at the Ceiling and Then I Saw the Sky at Theatre Royal Stratford East.
- She has a pet dog named Caleb.
- In 2013, Erivo played the role of Celie Harris in the Menier Chocolate Factory production of The Color Purple, a role which Whoopi Goldberg had originated onscreen.
- She is a vegan.
- In 2017, She won a Grammy Award for Best Musical Theater Album and Daytime Emmy Award for Outstanding Musical Performance in a Daytime Program.
- In February 2017, Erivo performed God Only Knows as a tribute to musicians who had died over the past year alongside John Legend at the 59th Annual Grammy Awards.
- In March 2017, Erivo and the cast of The Color Purple were nominated for a Daytime Emmy Award for their performance on NBC’s The Today Show.
- In April 2017, it was announced that Erivo and the cast of The Color Purple alongside The Today Show won the Daytime Creative Arts Emmy Award in the Outstanding Musical Performance in a Daytime Program category.
- Erivo co-produced and was cast as the lead voice actor in the scripted thriller podcast Carrier from the audio firm Qcode Media. She played the series lead role of Raylene ‘Ray’ Watts, a long-haul truck driver transporting a trailer with disturbing, mysterious contents.
- In November 2017, she appeared on the charity benefit Night of too Many Stars hosted by Jon Stewart, where she performed a duet with frequent contributor Jodi DiPiazza of the Andra Day hit Rise Up they were accompanied by Questlove and The Roots.
- In 2018, Erivo starred as part of the seven actor ensemble of Drew Goddard’s Bad Times at the El Royale, as a down-on-her-luck singer.
- In January 2019, Erivo was cast in the HBO’s series adaptation of Stephen King’s novel The Outsider.
- In 2020, Erivo garnered nominations for two Academy Awards–one for Best Actress for her portrayal of Tubman and the other for Best Original Song for Stand Up.