Asa Butterfield is an English actor. He began his acting career at the age of 9 in the television drama After Thomas and the comedy film Son of Rambow. He became known for playing the main character Bruno in the Holocaust film The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas, for which he received nominations for the British Independent Film Award and the London Film Critics Circle Award for Young British Performer of the Year at the age of 11. He also played the young Mordred in the BBC TV series Merlin and Norman in the fantasy film Nanny McPhee and the Big Bang.
Asa Maxwell Thornton Farr Butterfield
Birthday / Date of Birth
Asa Butterfield was born on the 1st of April 1997, in Islington, London, England, United Kingdom.
He’s currently 22 years old.
Asa attended the secondary school Stoke Newington School & Sixth Form in Hackney, UK. After attending school on Friday afternoons, he would act at the Young Actors’ Theatre Islington.
- Father – Sam Butterfield
- Mother – Jacqueline Farr
- Siblings – Morgan Benjamin Butterfield (Older Brother), Loxie (Younger Sister)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Asa Butterfield has dated –
- Ella Purnell (2015) – Asa Butterfield had previously been in a relationship with fellow English actress Ella Purnell. They began dating in 2015 but it ended soon after.
- Nina Dobrev (2017) – There are rumours that he is presently dating Bulgarian- Canadian actress Nina Dobrev but nothing has been confirmed by either party as of yet.
- In feet – 5 feet 10 inches
- In centimeters – 178 cm
- In meters – 1.78 m
- In Kilograms – 66 kg
- In Pounds – 146 lbs
His shoe size is 9.5 (US).
Asa Butterfield is best known for his role in the 2011 epic historical adventure drama Hugo. The film was based on Brian Selznick’s book The Invention of Hugo Cabret and narrates the story of a boy, Hugo, who lives by himself at the Gare Montparnasse railway station in Paris in the 1930s after the death of his father.
In 2008, he appeared in British science fiction and police procedural drama television series, Ashes to Ashes for his role as Donny in just a single episode numbered 6 in season 1.
Asa has not been endorsed by any of the brands yet.
Awards & Nominations
|2008||British Independent Film Award||Most Promising Newcomer||The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas||Nominated|
|2009||NSPCC Award||Young British Performer of the Year||The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas||Nominated|
|2011||Las Vegas Film Critics Society||Best Youth in Film||Hugo||Won|
|2012||Broadcast Film Critics Association||Best Young Actor/Actress||Hugo||Nominated|
|Empire Awards||Best Male Newcomer||Hugo||Nominated|
|Saturn Awards||Best Performance by a Younger Actor||Hugo||Nominated|
|Young Artist Award||Best Performance in a Feature Film – Leading Young Actor||Hugo||Nominated|
|2014||Saturn Awards||Best Performance by a Younger Actor||Ender’s Game||Nominated|
|2014||British Independent Film Awards||Best Actor||X+Y||Nominated|
Asa Butterfield Favorites
- Favorite Actress – Angelina Jolie
- Favorite Band – The Cure
- Favorite Color – Black
- Favorite Food – Pizza
Asa Butterfield Net worth
Asa Butterfield has an estimated net worth of $5 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Asa Butterfield
- He started acting at the age of seven.
- His older brother Morgan Benjamin Butterfield is a drummer for the English band Oats.
- His first name Asa means Wings in Portuguese.
- In 2004, Butterfield produced a mashup of the songs Teenage Dirtbag by Wheatus and Making Plans For Nigel by XTC.
- He helped his dad and brother in designing a turn-based video game for iPad in 2012. It was released to the stores on April 7, 2013. The game is titled Racing Blind.
- In 2011, he won the Las Vegas Film Critics Society Award in the category of Best Youth in Film.
- In 2013, Butterfield starred as Andrew Ender Wiggin in the film Ender’s Game. While the film received mixed to positive reviews, his performance as the hero earned him much critical praise.
- In 2015, he starred as the protagonist in the drama Ten Thousand Saints. Also starring Ethan Hawke, Hailee Steinfeld and Emile Hirsch, the film premiered at the 2015 Sundance Film Festival on January 23.
- In 2016, he starred as Jacob Jake Portman in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, based on the novel of the same name, alongside Eva Green.
- In 2017, he played in the Nintendo World Championships, where he was eliminated early in the invitational. He is an enthusiastic player of competitive Super Smash Bros. and has signed with eSports team Panda Global under the tag Stimpy. His first appearance with the organisation was at Genesis 6.
- In 2018, Butterfield was cast in the main role of Otis Milburn on the Netflix comedy-drama series, Sex Education. The series was released on 11 January 2019, to critical acclaim.