Winona Ryder is an American actress and film producer. She is the recipient of a Golden Globe Award and has been nominated for two Academy Awards, a BAFTA Award and four Screen Actors Guild Awards. In 2002, Ryder appeared in the critically panned box office hit Mr. Deeds, following which her career saw a downturn and she took a sabbatical from films. In 2010, she was nominated for two Screen Actors Guild Awards: as the lead actress in When Love Is Not Enough: The Lois Wilson Story and as part of the cast of Black Swan. She currently stars as Joyce Byers in the Netflix series Stranger Things, for which she has received Golden Globe and Screen Actors Guild nominations.
Winona Laura Horowitz
Birthday / Date of Birth
Winona Ryder was born on the 29th of October 1971, in Olmsted County, Minnesota, United States.
She’s currently 51 years old.
She has Romanian and Russian ancestry on her father’s side.
Winona attended Kenilworth Junior High School in Petaluma, California, but during her first week at school, she was bullied by fellow schoolmates. In 1983, Ryder started attending San Francisco’s American Conservatory Theater and learned acting. In 1989, she finished her schooling and graduated from Petaluma High School with a 4.0 GPA.
- Father – Michael Horowitz (Author, editor, publisher and antiquarian bookseller)
- Mother – Cynthia Palmer (née Istas) (Author, editor and video producer)
- Siblings – Uri Horowitz (Younger Brother), Jubal Palmer (Older Half-Brother), Sunyata Palmer (Older Half-Sister)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Winona Ryder has dated –
- Rob Lowe (1986-1988) – Actors Rob Lowe and Winona Ryder met on the set of Square Dance. At that time, Winona was 13 years old and Rob was 21.
- Johnny Depp (1989-1993) – Ryder started dating actor Johnny Depp in August 1989 after meeting him in June 1989 at Great Balls of Fire! premiere. They engaged in July 1990. She treats Johnny as her first real boyfriend as she spent fun time with him. He was her first real kiss, first person with whom she had s*x and first fiancé. They called off their engagement after three years in July 1993.
- Chris Isaak (1993) – In 1993, Winona went on a date with singer Chris Isaak at Disneyland. They went on to see the laser show Fantasmic. But, they were asked to leave the show in halfway as they were getting sexually more close. They had an encounter in 1993.
- Dave Pirner (1993-1996) – From 1993 to 1996, she was romantically linked to rock band Soul Asylum frontman, Dave Pirner.
- Jay Kay (1997) – In 1997, English singer Jay Kay had an encounter with Ryder.
- Stephan Jenkins (1997) – In 1997, Ryder had a fling with musician Stephan Jenkins.
- Matt Damon (1997-2000) – Actor Matt Damon and Winona Ryder were an item from December 1997 to August 2000. They met via Gwyneth Paltrow and were described as Hollywood’s It Couple by People Magazine.
- Jimmy Fallon (2000) – In 2000, Winona had a fling with comedian and TV host Jimmy Fallon.
- Conor Oberst (2003) – In 2003, Winona hooked up with her 8-year junior singer, Conor Oberst.
- Henry Alex Rubin (2006) – In 2006, Ryder dated filmmaker Henry Alex Rubin shortly.
- Blake Soper (2007-2008) – Guitarist Blake Soper was romantically linked to Ryder from January 2007 until August 2008.
- Tom Green (2008) – In 2008, Canadian talk-show host Tom Green and Winona were spotted having dinner together. Some sources claimed them to be dating but no confirmations ever came from either party.
- Scott Mackinlay Hahn (2011-Present) – In 2011, the actress is dating fashion designer Scott Mackinlay Hahn.
- In feet – 5 feet 3½ inches
- In centimeters – 161 cm
- In meters – 1.61 m
- In Kilograms – 52 kg
- In Pounds – 115 lbs
- Measurements – 36-24-35
- Bust – 36 inches
- Waist – 24 inches
- Hip – 35 inches
- Bra Size – 32D
She wears a size 7 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 4 (US).
Ryder is best known for appearing in films such as Heathers (1988), Mermaids (1990), The Age of Innocence (1993), Little Women (1994) and others.
In 1986, Winona debuted with American teen tragicomedy film Lucas for her role as Rina.
In 1994, Ryder guest appeared in the animated sitcom The Simpsons for her role as Allison Taylor in an episode titled Lisa’s Rival.
She appeared in a Shoplifting commercial (2008), cafe latte ad (1999), a Japanese commercial for Subaru Impreza car and many others.
Winona Ryder Net worth
Winona Ryder has an estimated net worth of $18 million dollars as of 2023.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Winona Ryder
- Ryder was named after a nearby city named Winona, which is in Minnesota.
- She has a middle name Laura due to her parents’ friendship with Italian-American musician and author.
- She also got her stage name Winona Ryder from a personality named Mitch Ryder, soul and rock singer. Her dad is also a big fan of Mitch.
- Psychedelic guru Dr. Timothy Leary is her godfather.
- She is afraid of water because of a near drowning experience at the age of 12.
- In 1985, Ryder sent a videotaped audition, where she recited a monologue from the novel Franny and Zooey by J. D. Salinger, to appear in the film Desert Bloom.
- In April 1989, she played the title role in the music video for Mojo Nixon’s Debbie Gibson Is Pregnant with My Two-Headed Love Child.
- In 1994, she played the tempestuous Jo in the movie Little Women along with Trini Alvarado, Claire Danes and Kirsten Dunst. Ryder was nominated for an Academy Award for the Best Actress for this role.
- In 1999, she performed in and served as an executive producer for Girl, Interrupted, based on the 1993 autobiography of Susanna Kaysen.
- In 2006, Ryder appeared in Richard Linklater’s A Scanner Darkly, a film adaptation of Philip K. Dick’s well-received science fiction novel A Scanner Darkly.
- In 2009, she returned to the screen after a brief hiatus, appearing in high-profile films such as Star Trek.
- In 2010, she played Lois Wilson in the television movie When Love Is Not Enough: The Lois Wilson Story which premiered on CBS.
- In 2013, Ryder starred in a segment of the Comedy Central television series Drunk History called Boston.
- In July 2014, French pop band Bonjour Gaston released a song in her name titled Winona FTW .
- In 2018, she starred in the film Destination Wedding, alongside Keanu Reeves.
- In 2020, Ryder will star in The Plot Against America an HBO limited series based upon novel of the same name.