Tabu is an Indian film actress. She has primarily acted in Hindi films, in addition to English, Tamil, Telugu, Malayalam, Marathi and Bengali language films. She has won the National Film Award for Best Actress twice and has received six Filmfare Awards, including a record four Critics Awards for Best Actress. She was honoured with Padma Shri by the Government of India in 2011.
Tabassum Fatima Hashmi
Birthday / Date of Birth
Tabu was born on the 4th of November 1971, in Hyderabad, Telangana, India.
She’s currently 51 years old.
Tabu studied at the St. Anns High School in Hyderabad. After that, Tabu moved to Mumbai in 1983 and studied at St. Xavier’s College for two years.
- Father – Jamal Hashmi (Actor)
- Mother – Rezvanah Naaz (School Teacher)
- Siblings – Farah Naaz (Older Sister) (Actress)
- Relatives – Hasina Hashmi (Step-Mother), Haya Hashmi (Younger Step-Sister), Sana Hashmi (Younger Step-Sister), Shabana Azmi (Aunt) (Actress), Tanvi Azmi (Aunt), Baba Azmi (Uncle), Ishan Arya (Uncle) (Cinematographer), Subha Arya (Aunt-In-Law), Mohammed Ahsan (Grandfather) (Was a Professor of Mathematics), Kamran Rizvi (Cousin), Sameer Arya (Cousin) (Cinematographer)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Tabu has dated –
- Sanjay Kapoor – In 1990, Tabu was in a relationship with Indian actor Sanjay Kapoor. They started dating during the filming of Prem, which began in 1989. However, by the time, the film was released in 1995, the couple had separated and was not in talking terms.
- Sajid Nadiadwala – Tabu had a relationship with Indian director/producer Sajid Nadiadwala. Their relationship started just when Sajid was dealing with the accidental death of his actress wife, Divya Bharti. They dated for a while and separated amicably.
- Akkineni Nagarjuna – Tabu had an affair with South Indian star, Akkineni Nagarjuna aka Nag. They first met during the filming of Ninne Pelladatha. Nag was already married to another South Indian actress Amala when he and Tabu began their relationship. Their affair reportedly lasted 10 years before Tabu became convinced that Nag would not leave his wife and broke up with him.
- In feet – 5 feet 6¼ inches
- In centimeters – 168 cm
- In meters – 1.68 m
- In Kilograms – 63 kg
- In Pounds – 139 lbs
- Measurements – 34-28-37
- Bust – 34 inches
- Waist – 28 inches
- Hip – 37 inches
- Bra Size – 34B
She wears a size 8.5 (US) shoe.
Her dress size is 5 (US).
Her roles in numerous films including Life of Pi (2012) as Gita Patel, The Namesake (2006) as Ashima, Maachis (1996) as Veerandra ‘Veeran’, Kala Pani (1996) as Parvathi, Astitva (2000) as Aditi Pandit, Maqbool (2003) as Nimmi, Cheeni Kum (2007) as Nina Verma, Haider (2014) as Ghazala Meer and Andhadhun (2018) as Simi.
In 1982, Tabu made her theatrical film debut in the drama film, Bazaar as the Girl in “Chale Aao Saiyan” song. However, she was uncredited for her appearance. In 1985, she made her formal theatrical film debut in the drama film, Hum Naujawan as Priya.
In 2007, Tabu made her first TV show appearance on the talk show Koffee with Karan.
Tabu has done endorsement work for brands like Tetra Pak India, Vaseline & Nizam Jewellery.
- In 1998, Tabu was charged with poaching two blackbuck in Kankani during the filming of Hum Saath Saath Hain along with co-stars Salman Khan, Saif Ali Khan, Sonali Bendre and Neelam Kothari. A lower court charged her with the others under the Wildlife Protection Act, 1972 and the IPC. She had filed a revision petition before a sessions court which discharged her of Section 51 (causing harm to wildlife) of Wildlife Act and both of 147 (punishment for rioting) and 149 (unlawful assembly of persons) of the Indian Penal Code. The Rajasthan state government then filed a revision petition before the Rajasthan high court which again added Section 149 against her, which had been dropped earlier.
- In December 2012, the Jodhpur court summoned her along with all the accused for commencement of the trial with the revised charges on 4 February 2013. Although Tabu was acquitted in the blackbuck poaching case on 5 April 2018, the Jodhpur High Court issued her with a notice, challenging her acquittal on 11 March 2019.
- Favorite Actor – Sanjeev Kumar
- Favorite All Times Film – Gol Maal (1979)
- Favorite All Time Director – Guru Dutt
- Favorite Food – Samosa
Tabu Net worth
Tabu has a estimated net worth of $4 million dollars as of 2023.
Social Media Profiles
- Instagram – tabutiful
Some Lesser Known Facts About Tabu
- When she was a child, her parents divorced and she lived with her mother, while her father remarried.
- In the 1980, her father had a coffee shop named Jannat in Hyderabad.
- She can speak numerous Indian languages including Telugu, Urdu, Hindi, Bengali, Marathi and a bit of Tamil and Malayalam.
- She also speaks English, Spanish and some French.
- She acted in a few movies as a child actress. She appeared in 1982 film Bazaar & 1985 film Hum Naujawan.
- She is a fitness enthusiastic, she regularly goes to gym & practices Yoga.
- She is a pure vegetarian.
- The films that she remembers seeing as a child includes Naseeb (1981), Gol Maal (1979), The Ten Commandments (1956).
- The quality she admires in a director is the way they handle actors.
- If she could remake one film, then it would be Charulata (1964).
- In 2007, Tabu starred in her first Hollywood film The Namesake, directed by Mira Nair.
- Her greatest weakness as an actress is that she takes very long in deciding upon a script.
- She states that she would never do a film which would require her to shoot in an extremely cold climate wearing a chiffon saree.
- In 2012, Tabu featured in her second Hollywood film Life of Pi, directed by Ang Lee. She played a supporting role as the mother of the protagonist.