Shane Dawson is an American YouTuber, writer, comedian, actor, director, musician and media personality. He was one of the first people to rise to fame on video-sharing website YouTube and has since maintained an online presence. In 2008, when Dawson was nineteen years old, he signed up for YouTube and began making videos. He rose to fame on the site, garnering over half a billion views by 2010. In 2015, Dawson began his conspiracy show on YouTube, a video series where he discusses a variety of conspiracy theories. Since 2019, he maintains one active channel, shane, which is one of the 100 most subscribed YouTube channels with 22 million subscribers and over 5 billion views.
Shane Lee Yaw
Shaney Boy, Shane D-Tv, Papa Bear, Shaney, Shaney Bird, ShaneDawsonTV, Queen, Trash, Pig
YouTuber, Actor, Author, Comedian, Singer, Film Director
Spoof, Comedy, Pop Rock, Electronic Dance, Dubstep
Collective Digital Studio
Birthday / Date of Birth
Shane Dawson was born on the 19th of July 1988 in Long Beach, California, United States.
He’s currently 31 years old.
He has Dutch, Welsh, English and Swedish ancestry.
Shane Dawson attended to the Lakewood High School in Los Angeles.
- Father – Kyle Yaw Jr.
- Mother – Teresa Yaw
- Siblings – Jerid Yaw (Older Brother), Jacob Yaw (Older Brother)
- Relatives – Kyle Eugene Yaw (Paternal Grandfather), Nancy Lou Welch (Paternal Grandmother)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Shane Dawson dated –
- Nadine Sykora (2010-2011) – Shane started going out with travel blogger, Nadine Sykora in the last months of 2010. Their relationship came to public knowledge after they were spotted making out. They decided to go separate ways by November 2011.
- Lisa Schwartz (2011-2015) – Shane got in a relationship with YouTuber Lisa Schwartz in December 2011. He would call the first year of their relationship as the best year of his life. The problems started surfacing in the second year as his bisexual tendencies started creeping on him. His attraction for boys made him feel guilty. He got depressed and even hired a therapist, who finally helped him realize that he was bisexual. After about two and a half years of being together, cracks were visible in their relationship as he decided to move out.
- Garrett Watts (2016) – Shane was dating fellow social media star, Garrett Watts in 2016. They grew close while collaborating for YouTube videos. However, their relationship lasted for merely a year.
- Ryland Adams (2016-Present) – In October 2016, he took to his Instagram account to reveal that he was dating host and web series producer, Ryland Adams. The speculation about them dating had been there for months before he finally came clean about his relationship. After dating for more than 2 years, the couple got engaged in 2019.
- In feet – 6 feet 0 inches
- In centimeters – 183 cm
- In meters – 1.83 m
- In Kilograms – 79 kg
- In Pounds – 174 lbs
One of the most popular YouTuber with more than 22 million subscribers and 5 billion views.
Dawson released his first single, SUPERLUV! on March 31, 2012, on iTunes. The song managed to chart at 87 in Ireland, 16 on the UK Indie Chart, 163 on the UK Singles Chart and reached the 28th spot on the US iTunes Pop Chart. He also released a music video for the song on his YouTube channel.
Shane Dawson made his feature film acting debut in 2012 with an American physiological slasher horror film, Smiley for his role as Binder.
In 2012, Dawson landed on the role of Christmas Past / Popcorn in live-action series, The High Fructose Adventures of Annoying Orange.
He has appeared in TV commercials for Taco Bell and McDonald’s.
- Dawson has been criticized for his racial comedy, particularly his use of blackface and of the racial slur nigger in several old skits and his jokes about ghetto pranks at VidCon in 2012. In 2014, YouTuber Franchesca Ramsey criticized Dawson on Tumblr, writing, Shane has done his modern day minstrel show act AT VIDCON and faced no repercussions. It’d be nice if he’d acknowledge why these thing are problematic, apologize to his audience and stop doing them. Dawson later apologized for the jokes in a video, stating that he viewed the controversy as a learning experience.
- Dawson was later criticized for his 2018 documentaries The Mind of Jake Paul and The Secret World of Jeffree Star, with some arguing that Dawson was too sympathetic towards the racism scandals of both subjects. Some Twitter users used the hashtag #ShaneDawsonisOverParty following the final part of The Mind of Jake Paul.
- In 2018, Dawson was the subject of a controversy regarding comments he had made about pedophilia on a 2014 episode of his podcast Shane and Friends, in which he published an apology video likening his comedic style at the time to that of shock jocks. The same comments were also the subject of a March 2019 controversy, coupled with controversy regarding comments he had made on a 2015 episode of the same podcast about engaging in sexual activity with his cat.
- Dawson has also been criticized for his conspiracy theory content, as some feel that his videos about the flat Earth, moon landing hoax and 9/11 hoax conspiracy theories, among others, contribute to YouTube’s widespread issues with misinformation.
Awards & Nominations
|2010||The Streamy Awards||Best Vlogger||Won|
|2010||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Web Star||Won|
|2011||Teen Choice Awards||Choice Web Star||Nominated|
|2017||People’s Choice Awards||Favorite YouTube Star||Nominated|
|Streamy Awards||Creator of the Year||Nominated|
|2018||Streamy Awards||Collaboration||For Switching Lives With A Blind Person with Molly Burke||Nominated|
|Creator of the Year||Won|
|Documentary||For The Truth About Tanacon||Won|
|Editing||For The Truth About Tanacon with Andrew Siwicki||Won|
|People’s Choice Awards||The Social Star of 2018||Won|
|2019||The Shorty Awards||Youtuber of the Year||Won|
Shane Dawson Favorites
- Favorite TV Show – Friends (1994-2004)
- Favorite City – New York City
- Favorite Song – Push and Shove by No Doubt
- Favorite Movie Genre – Horror
Shane Dawson Net worth
Shane Dawson has a estimated net worth of $12 million dollars as of 2019.
Social Media Profiles
- Facebook – Shane Dawson
- Instagram – shanedawson
- Twitter – Shane Dawson
- YouTube Channel – Shane, Shane Dawson TV
Some Lesser Known Facts About Shane Dawson
- His growing up days were particularly difficult as he was regularly physically and mentally abused by his alcoholic father.
- In his teenage years, he was often bullied for being overweight. Also, he got a lot of stick for coming from a poor background.
- In August 2008, Shane along with his mother, brother and six other co-workers were fired from Jenny Craig for watching a pole dancing video, which was made at the office premises.
- In 2010, the Forbes magazine placed him at the 25th position in the list of most famous web celebrities.
- In 2015, Dawson released a memoir titled I Hate Myselfie: A Collection of Essays. The memoir was released by Atria Books/Keywords Press.
- In July 2015, Dawson came out as bisexual in a video posted on Shane Dawson TV. This announcement also confirmed his separation with his now ex-girlfriend, Lisa Schwartz.
- In March 2015, his non-fiction book, I Hate Myselfie: A Collection of Essays was published by Simon & Schuster. He discussed his childhood and his social media success in a series of essays.
- He was labeled as racist after he spoke against ABC’s desperate attempt to hire more actors of Hispanic origin to boost TRP.
- He was also accused of being racist to the African-American community due to the content of his videos.
- In July 2016, Dawson released another memoir entitled It Gets Worse: A Collection of Essays. It was released by Atria/Keywords Press, an imprint of Simon & Schuster.
- He has 2 dogs named, Uno and Honey and a cat named Cheeto.
- In July 2019, Dawson returned to YouTube for a one-hour long documentary video about Internet sensation, Eugenia Cooney.