Kamala Harris is an American lawyer and politician serving as the junior United States Senator from California since 2017. A member of the Democratic Party, she previously served as the 27th District Attorney of San Francisco from 2004 to 2011 and 32nd Attorney General of California from 2011 until 2017. She is a candidate for the Democratic nomination for President of the United States in the 2020 election.
Kamala Devi Harris
Birthday / Date of Birth
Kamala Harris was born on October 20, 1964, in Oakland, California, United States.
She is currently 54 years old.
California, United States
She has Tamil ancestry on her mother’s side and Jamaican ancestry on her father’s side.
Kamala Harris graduated from Westmount High School in Quebec, Canada. She then got enrolled at the Howard University in Washington, D.C. where she majored in economics and political science. Harris returned to California, where she earned her Juris Doctor (J.D.) from the University of California, Hastings College of the Law in 1989.
- Father – Donald Harris (Stanford University Economics Professor)
- Mother – Shyamala Gopalan Harris (Breast Cancer Researcher)
- Siblings – Maya Lakshmi Harris (Younger Sister) (Lawyer, Public Policy Advocate, Television Commentator)
- Relatives – P.V. Gopalan (Maternal Grandfather) (Indian Diplomat), Rajam (Maternal Grandmother)
Boyfriend / Spouse
Kamala Harris has dated –
- Phil Bronstein (2004) – Harris started going out with popular journalist and editor, Phil Bronstein, in 2004. Their relationship was short-lived and they had separated by the end of the year.
- Douglas Emhoff (2014-Present) – Kamala Harris married California attorney Douglas Emhoff on August 22, 2014, in Santa Barbara, California. The couple do not have any children but Emhoff has two children from his previous relationship.
- In feet – 5 feet 2 inches
- In centimeters – 157 cm
- In meters – 1.57 m
- In Kilograms – 59 kg
- In Pounds – 130 lbs
- Measurements – 34-25-34
- Bust – 34 inches
- Waist – 25 inches
- Hip – 34 inches
- Bra Size – 32D
Her dress size is 6 (US).
She wears a size 6 (US) shoe.
Harris is considered as a top contender for the 2020 Democratic nomination for President of the United States in the 2020 United States presidential election.
In October 2009, Kamala Harris made her first TV show appearance on the News talk show, Hannity.
Kamala Harris hasn’t done endorsement work for any brand yet.
Kamala Harris Favorite
Her favorite things are unknown.
Kamala Harris Net worth
Kamala Harris has an estimated net worth of $4 million dollars as of 2019. As per their revealed tax returns by Sacramento Bee in 2016, they had paid approximately $450,000 in State and Federal Income taxes.
Social Media Profiles
Some Lesser Known Facts About Kamala Harris
- When she was 7 years old, her parents got divorced and her mother got custody of the children. She decided to move to Montreal, Quebec with the children as she had secured a research position at the Jewish General Hospital. She also taught at the MacGill University.
- When Kamala was 12 years old, her mother took them to Canada as she secured research job there. She returned to the United States for her higher studies.
- In 1990, she was granted membership to the State Bar of California.
- In 1990, Harris started working as a Deputy District Attorney in Alameda County, California. She had decided to pursue a career in law enforcement as she wanted to be at a place where the decisions were made. She worked in that role until 1998.
- In 2003, she got a breakthrough in her career after she was elected as the San Francisco district attorney, becoming the first woman, black and South Asian to hold such a position.
- In 2003, she managed to defeat a 2-term incumbent, Terence Hallinan, to become the District Attorney of the City and County of San Francisco.
- In 2004, The National Urban League honored Harris as a Woman of Power.
- In 2004, Harris pushed for higher bail for criminal defendants involved in gun-related crimes. She argued that low bail encouraged outsiders to commit crimes in San Francisco.
- In 2005, she received the Thurgood Marshall Award from the National Black Prosecutors Association.
- In 2009, Harris’ prosecutors won a lower percentage of their felony jury trials than their counterparts at district attorneys’ offices covering the 10 largest cities in California.
- In 2011, she defeated Steve Cooley to become the California Attorney General, a position she held until 2017. By securing the position, she became the first female, Jamaican-American, and Indian-American attorney general in California.
- In 2012, Harris participated in the National Mortgage Settlement against five banks, securing $12 billion of debt reduction for the state’s homeowners and $26 billion overall.
- In February 12, 2015, Harris announced that she would start a new agency called the Bureau of Children’s Justice.
- In 2016, Harris was the only Democratic candidate for the Senate to receive a campaign contribution from Treasury Secretary, Steven Mnuchin. Mnuchin donated $2,000 to Harris’ campaign.
- In 2016, Harris announced that she’s going to run for the United States Senate election in California after Senator Barbara Boxer announced her retirement. Harries raised around $2.5 million for her campaign and she was the forerunner through the election campaign. She won the 2016 senator election by defeating Sanchez with 62 percent of the vote.
- In October 2016, Harris announced the arrest of Backpage CEO Carl Ferrer on felony charges of pimping a minor, pimping and conspiracy to commit pimping. The arrest warrant alleged that 99% of Backpage’s revenue was directly attributable to prostitution related ads, many of which involved victims of sex trafficking, including children under the age of 18.
- In 2019, she published the book titled The Truths We Hold: An American Journey via Penguin press.
- Visit her official website @ kamalaharris.org.