Kamal Haasan is an Indian film actor, dancer, film director, screenwriter, producer, playback singer, lyricist and politician who works primarily in Tamil cinema and has also worked in Telugu, Malayalam, Kannada, Hindi and Bengali films. Haasan has won awards including three National Film Awards for Best Actor and 19 Filmfare Awards and nine International Awards. His production company, Raaj Kamal Films International has produced several of his films.
Universal Hero, Aandavar, Parthasarathy
Actor, Producer, Director, Screenwriter, Playback Singer, Lyricist, Television Presenter, Choreographer, Dancer, Philanthropist, Politician
Birthday / Date of Birth
Kamal Haasan was born on the 7th of November 1954, in Paramakudi, Ramanathapuram, Madras State, India.
He’s currently 65 years old.
Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India
He has Tamilian ancestry.
Kamal attended Sir M. Ct. Muthiah Chettiar Boys Higher Secondary School in Chennai. He didn’t even complete his school studies and dropped out in 8th or 9th grade.
- Father – D. Srinivasan (Lawyer)
- Mother – Rajalakshmi (Housewife)
- Siblings – Charuhasan (Brother) (Actor), Chandrahasan (Brother) (Actor), Vasanth Haasan (Brother), Nalini (Sister) (Classical Dancer)
- Relatives – Suhasini Maniratnam (Niece), Anu Hasan (Niece), Subhashini Charuhaasan (Niece), Nandini Charuhaasan (Niece)
Girlfriend / Spouse
Kamal Haasan has dated –
- Vani Ganapathy (1978-1988) – Vani and Kamal married in 1978 and got divorced in 1988.
- Sarika Thakur (1988-2004) – In 1988, Kamal and actress Sarika Thakur married and have 2 daughters named Shruti and Akshara together. They parted ways in 2004.
- Gautami Tadimalla (2004-2016) – Kamal dated the actress, Gautami Tadimalla from 2004 to 2016. Gautami had announced on her blog that she had ended her relationship with him.
- In feet – 5 feet 5 inches
- In centimeters – 165 cm
- In meters – 1.65 m
- In Kilograms – 80 kg
- In Pounds – 176 lbs
- Measurements – 40-14-34
- Chest – 40 in or 102 cm
- Arms / Biceps – 14 in or 36 cm
- Waist – 34 in or 86.5 cm
His shoe size is 9 (US).
Kamal is the first South Indian actor to get Rs 1 crore remuneration for his film. In 1974, he has won 17 awards under the Best Actor category the first one being for the film, Kanyakumari. In 1981, he has produced several films under his production company Raaj Kamal Films International.
In 1960, Kamal made his Malayalam debut with the film, Kannum Karalum. In 1974, he made his debut as a lead actor with the film, Kanyakumari.
In 1981, Kamal made his Bollywood debut with the film, Ek Duuje Ke Liye which was a remake of his own film, Maro Charitra (1978).
Kamal has written many of his films including Raja Paarvai (1981), Thevar Magan (1992), Hey Ram (2000), Aalavandhan (2001), Virumaandi (2004), Dasavathaaram (2008), Vishwaroopam (2013) and many more.
In 1981, Kamal made his debut as a producer with the film, Raja Paarvai.
In 2017, Kamal made his debut in the television industry as a host in the first season of Star Vijay’s reality show, Bigg Boss Tamil.
In 21 February 2018, Kamal launched his political party Makkal Needhi Maiam (People’s Justice Centre). His party contested for the first time in the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections.
Kamal Hasaan has endorsed brands such as Pothys Silks.
Kamal Haasan Favorites
- Favorite Actor – Shivaji Ganesan, Nagesh, MG Ramachandran, Rajinikanth, Rajesh Khanna
- Favorite Actress – Sripriya, Sridevi
- Favorite Movies – Mughal-e-Azam, Sholay, Bicycle Thief
- Favorite Musician – Ilaiyaraja
- Favorite Book – Amma Vandhaal and Marapasu by Thi. Janakiraman
- Favorite Food – South Indian Food
Kamal Haasan Net worth
Kamal Haasan has an estimated net worth of $100 million dollars as of 2020.
Social Media Profiles
- Facebook – Kamal Haasan
- Instagram – ikamalhaasan
- Twitter – Kamal Haasan
Some Lesser Known Facts About Kamal Haasan
- Kamal started his acting career when he was 6 years old and won the President’s Gold Medal for his debut film.
- He is the only Indian actor to play ten different roles in a film.
- Kamal has acted in different language films like Hindi, Malayalam, Tamil, Telegu and Kannada.
- He is a trained Bharatanatyam dancer.
- Kamal has won numerous national awards for his films as an actor.
- Kamal has suffered from more than 30 fractures in his career as he does his stunts by himself.
- Kamal has earned the title of the first and perhaps the last, complete hero in Indian Cinema.
- In 1970, Kamal first appearance came film Maanavan in which he appeared in a dance sequence.
- In 1981, his film Raja Paarvai India’s first film to have visual effects and animation.
- In 1982, he became the first Indian actor to give 5 hit films in a year.
- In 1985, Kamal won the Filmfare award in the Best Actor in a Leading Role category and earned a Best Actor in a Supporting Role nomination for the same film, Saagar.
- In 1987, Kamal was the part of the first Indian color silent film named, Pushpaka Vimana.
- In 1998, he appeared in Singeetham Srinivasa Rao’s romantic comedy, Kaathala Kaathala opposite Prabhu Deva.
- In 1994, Kamal is the first South Indian actor to get Rs 1 crore remuneration for his film.
- Kamal is the only Indian actor whose seven films have made entry to Oscars.
- In 2004, he appeared in Vasool Raja MBBS, a remake of Bollywood’s Munna Bhai MBBS with Sneha which was a box-office success.
- In 2004, he was forced to change the name of his film from Sandiyar to Virumandi after Pudhiya Tamizhagham (political party) said that the title of the film could create caste-related controversies.
- In 2009, he became one of the few actors in India to have completed 50 years working in cinema.
- In 2013, he was awarded the Lifetime Achievement Award at 15th Mumbai International Film Festival.
- In May 2014, he was appointed as the official Indian delegate to the 67th Cannes Film Festival.
- In 2016, He was ranked #49 on Forbes Celeb 100 list.
- In 2017, Kamal was roped in to host the popular television reality show Big Boss Tamil on Star Vijay TV. He continued hosting the next two seasons of the show.
- In 21 February 2018, Kamal launched his political party Makkal Needhi Maiam (People’s Justice Centre). His party contested for the first time in the 2019 Lok Sabha Elections.